Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 55 gallon drums of honey wanted  (Read 11602 times)

Offline Mason

• House Bee
55 gallon drums of honey wanted
« on: June 10, 2010, 12:37:46 pm »
Hello,

I have a friend that has a medium size BBQ sauce business and is looking for 55 gallon drums of pasteurized honey.  His annual consumption is in the neighborhood of about 150 to 200 gallons per year.  The honey would have to be delivered to a metro Atlanta Georgia location.

Anyone?

Mason
Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Re: 55 gallon drums of honey wanted
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 03:23:19 pm »
How much per pound is your friend offering?  Be aware that most of us are hobbyists on this site, and those of us that do sell honey, do so at a premium.  Most here don't come close to 200 gallons harvested per year, and even fewer pastuerize their honey.  I only mention this because a coworker took some of my honey to a family owned bakery.  They were interested in several drums, at around a buck a pound.   I do much better selling pints/quarts/gallons, and it stays a hobby.  If I don't feel like extracting, or bottling, I don't have to.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 04:53:11 pm »
I've got you covered! However, the honey isn't pasteurized and the shipping would be an extra. PM me if you're interested. I do know a honey packer but I'm not so sure he pasteurizes...I'm sure he knows who can though.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 12:59:25 am »
Hardwood; you might check but I'm pretty sure Florida's recent "Honey Law" is not going to allow pasteurization. Pasteurization of honey is only required when honey is diluted, which is a big "no no" under the new law. So, if Mason's friend wants FL honey he's going to have to buy the real stuff.  :-D

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 10:49:48 am »
Thanks for that info fish...hadn't even thought of that! :)

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 11:29:00 am »
He did specifically request pasteurized.  Almost all of the honey you buy at Kroger or any major grocery store is pasteurized.  It is likely that it has to be pasteurized for an FDA requirement.

I found a commercial beek here that I know but just thought it was worth a post to ask. 

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 11:50:29 am »
I learned some things on this.

If you are marketing a product out of state or nationally you to meet FDA requirements which includes sending samples of your product in for content testing.  FDA requires all honey ingredients be pasteurized.  Here in GA if you just want to sell your products locally all you need is authorization from the Georgia Department of Agriculture which basically just checks your processing facility to be sanitary and correct labels.

I was able to locate a local beek that could meet this demand however unable to find a single honey pasteurizer in the state of Georgia.  Bulk honey is sold at table grade or bakery grade at market price.  Currently table grade market price is "high" at $1.50 per pound.  Turns out these guys are using 600lbs of honey every 3-4 weeks.  The most important thing I learned is that I am a far better salesman than beekeeper. 

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 01:44:24 pm »
I wouldn't mind to find a couple of 60 pound pails at 1.50 a pound.

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 01:58:09 pm »
$1.50 per lb is bulk market price, 55 gallon drums 600lbs not 60lbs.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 04:40:27 pm »
Right now we're at $1.60/lb for drums and 2.00 for buckets (orange blossom and gallberry).

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

anything