Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Just found SHB in my hive.  (Read 12818 times)

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
Just found SHB in my hive.
« on: December 25, 2015, 10:01:10 pm »
My hives are only a month old and i have just noticed SHB, does anyone use apithor traps? I have noticed about 5-10 in each hive killed what i could get too but want to act fast to kill them. Any help would be great?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
Re: Just found SHB in my hive.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 11:25:06 pm »
Yep I have them and use them when needed.
Place them ontop of the brood frames.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 05:21:38 am by Anybrew2 »

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 11:37:45 pm »
Apithor works really well for me.

Putting them on top of the frames is contrary to the manufacturers instructions.

If moisture entered the hive and ran through the trap You may kill your bees and/or end up with Fiprinol residue in your honey.

"With a hive tool, paint scraper or similar implement remove wax and debris from a sufficient area of the bottom board to accommodate the harbourage. Place harbourage, flat surface down, on the bottom board with the slot ends aligned away from the hive entrance.
The harbourage must sit flat on the bottom board such that beetles cannot shelter underneath. In hives with corrugated or distorted bottom boards apply a thin bead of silicone sealant to the outer edge of the underside of the harbourage and press down firmly onto the bottom board. Unless stuck to the bottom board a thin wire may be attached to the harbourage to facilitate later removal from the hive via the hive entrance thus removing the need to open the hive. Monitor harbourages for damage or for 'waxing up' of the slot entrances. Replace if damaged or when effectiveness declines. Remove harbourages when control has been established or after 3 months."

"NOT TO BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE, OR IN ANY MANNER, CONTRARY TO THIS LABEL UNLESS AUTHORISED UNDER APPROPRIATE LEGISLATION."

Offline CB

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 02:58:20 am »
Place a vinyl mat on top of the frames and put the Aphithor trap on top of that. If you place it on the bottom board and you get some rain in there you will also end up killing the bees. I have found that an oil trap in the bottom board gives superior results to the Apithor.

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 03:42:27 am »
The bad advice on this forum never ceases to amaze me.

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 05:21:14 am »
Yep don't put them on the bottom board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!rain,moisture etc I learnt that.
On top of the Brood frames only.

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 05:33:32 am »
More bad advice.

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 06:27:45 am »
Yep I have them and use them when needed.
Place them ontop of the brood frames.
When the research was carried out they were found to be most effective when placed on the bottom board. However I believe a number of beekeepers (including commercial beeks) lost there hives altogether when water came in through the entrance and wet the apithor.

From two commercial beeks that I have spoken too recently One was placing them on top of the super and the other was putting them on top of the brood frames.

You can take it as bad or good advice, I will not change the way I use them.

Kev

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 06:50:14 am »
Why would you place your hives in a position where water is running over the bottom boards.  Commercial beeks are also pumping cockroach poison into corflute and throwing that into hives.  Knock yourself out.  The Australian section of this forum embarrasses me at times.

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 06:56:43 am »
Ok now im a bit worried about having poison with my bees. I was told commercial beekeepers were also using scrunched up chux wipes and the beetles get stuck in them and die. What other successful options have people used? Might use the apithor as last resort.

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 07:08:05 am »
Commercial beeks are also pumping cockroach poison into corflute and throwing that into hives.
They are not the only ones using this method, there is a lot of amateur beekeepers doing the same,(not saying I agree with it)

Why would you place your hives in a position where water is running over the bottom boards.
Common sense would dictate that you would not place them in such a position but I believe the water came from above (torrential rain).
Kev

Offline CB

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2015, 08:14:02 pm »
Why would you place your hives in a position where water is running over the bottom boards.  Commercial beeks are also pumping cockroach poison into corflute and throwing that into hives.  Knock yourself out.  The Australian section of this forum embarrasses me at times.
Maybe it doesn't rain where you are, but heavy rain with strong wind can result in some water in the hive and if it comes into contact with the trap you will poison the bees. Up to you to decide if you want your bees to come into contact with fipronil.
Ok now im a bit worried about having poison with my bees. I was told commercial beekeepers were also using scrunched up chux wipes and the beetles get stuck in them and die. What other successful options have people used? Might use the apithor as last resort.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 06:30:55 am »
The coreflute blokes use something called "Max force"which is Fibronil, the same as in Apithor.
Of course most of us would get rain inside a hive from time to time and yes, the Apithor will get wet and yes, the bees won't like it and no, I would not eat the honey.
I use traps with DE and while i do get an occasional Slime-out most of the time all is OK and the bees survive.
Keep your hives strong and -in my opinion- stay off poisons.

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2015, 06:52:58 am »
Checked my hive again today and to try the chux wipes. There seemed to be alot more beetles around. I squashed the ones i could get too. I'm really worried i havent got a trap as yet nothing is open

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2015, 07:43:43 am »
I use Apithor on the bottom boards.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2015, 09:49:06 am »
Hey sydney guy. Here's some advice, take a look at the post "what has shb done to our feral bees". It's in this down under part of bee master a few post down from here. It's a control method that is free and safe. Try it if it works for you its "good advice". Either way it would be good to hear any feedback.
Good luck.

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2015, 08:37:08 pm »
I wiped out a hive with friprinol - never again!!  Big air vents in the lid -  lets in plenty of light and drive the SHB down for the bees to take care of - also dropped the numbers dramatically when I stopped using mats on the top of the frames to stop burr comb in the lid. Oil traps under the bottom board with gutterguard mesh covers and rack lawn grub killer into the soil under and around the hive (water in well)

Only see 1 or 2 now - most times nil.

Working on a combination of ideas to be more targeted as well - will post pictures when completed
David L

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2015, 08:55:33 pm »
Just wanted to give an update on the SHB in my hives. I used a metal trap that sits on top of the frames in one hive on Saturday 26th, on Sunday 27th I put 2 chux super wipes in at lunch time. Just checked them an hour ago the trap had 3 dead beetles, the chuxs in the same hive had about 15 in it hidding which i killed this seemed to be the most active hive for the shb and i also squashed another 10 in the hive this hive is the weakest out of the 2. The other hive had about 10 in the chux which I also killed and maybe another 5 in the hive that I also squashed. Both hives are about 2 months old so not very strong the weakest hive is being fed syrup to help out with the drawing of the comb. Still has 2 frames to draw out. Give another update soon.
Im also looking into the earwigs

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015, 11:37:35 am »
You guys really thing that putting insecticides in a bee hive is a good idea?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015, 08:14:44 pm »
How do you manage them Michael? Poison would be my last resort.

anything