Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: VOICE CHAT NOW!!! - VOICE CHAT!!! (UPDATE 8-2-06)  (Read 17252 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
VOICE CHAT NOW!!! - VOICE CHAT!!! (UPDATE 8-2-06)
« on: July 24, 2006, 01:03:42 am »
Hello All.....

I'm proud to offer VOICE CHAT to our list of Forum Features. I'll explain below what you need to do to join, but BASICALLY, it is very simple and allows you to communicate in full-duplex voice (assuming your sound card allows full-duplexing) with any other member using the same program. Here are the basics and then the setup info.

VENTRILO SOFTWARE 2.3.1

Here is a detailed DOCUMENT from the Ventrilo site to help you techies out, but the basic stuff is simpler than what this tech manual would suggest.

This version (the latest FREE release) allows up to EIGHT (8) people to communicate at one time - without laying out the money for a more detailed version, or for settling for the OLDER version, I've thought hard about the needs of our membership and feel that this version of Ventrilo will do until we find out if a larger version is definitely needed.

Ventrilo basically has TWO versions needed to chat. Version one is a SERVER version which is installed on MY COMPUTER and generally speaking, my computer is ALWAYS TURNED ON unless I'm updating software or other times when I'm doing system maintenance. During those times, Ventrilo may seem to be OFF-LINE, but I'll try to post messages mentioning any down time.

Part TWO of Ventrilo is the CLIENT software is called 2.3.0 version, this YOU need to download - it is a short and popular program used to allow you to communicate with ANY OTHER VENTRILO CLIENT (other members) through the SERVER. Think of my computer being the switchboard where your conversations travel through - it is similar to peer-to-peer networking to a small degree.

Once you download the Ventrilo Client Software (link to follow) you just add the info I'll supply and you will have access to all other members on-line using your microphone, speakers or headphone.

Here is the page for downloading the "CLIENT SOFTWARE" - do NOT DOWNLOAD THE SERVER SOFTWARE

http://www.ventrilo.com/download.php

SETTINGS THAT YOU NEED TO MAKE ONCE YOU INSTALL THE VENTRILO CLIENT SOFTWARE:

You will get a VENTRILO WINDOW approx 4x4 in size - the top lines on the upper left say User Name, Server, Bindings.

User-name is YOU - CLICK the box that looks like this [->] choose new if needed and type a username (please use the MEMBER NAME from the forum. Below that you see a PHONETIC OPTION - please type your name phonetically so that it SOUNDS like your username when you click on the "PLAY" button to the right. The rest in this window, leave blank, choose OK to return to previous window.

SERVER This is me - type BEEMASTER here and click that  [->] again to get to CONNECTION EDITOR WINDOW. Host IP needs to be added along with PORT NUMBER. The info on this page should read as follows (hang in there, you are ALMOST DONE - I promise)

Select: Beemasterforums

Host-name or IP: 68.39.144.142
Port Number: 3784
leave password and default channels BLANK

Return to previous page by hitting ok and LEAVE BINDINGS (NONE)

Lastly, some basic stuff needed under SETTINGS which is the fourth option on the right side of the main Ventrilo Window - click SETUP.

NOTE: these settings may be customised toy our sound card, so what I write may differ from computer to computer system. I can only suggest you choose your systems sound card from drop down lists when ever possible.

NOTE 2: the only screen you need to worry about is  the VOICE TAB (upper left) the default screen here. The other tabs should not come into play, so it isn't as tough as it might seem.

FIRST: place a check in the upper left three boxes. enable outgoing voice messages, use push to talk hot-key and use direct input to detect hot key. Almost there.

SECOND: in the upper right corner of same SETUP PAGE:

where it says OUTPUT DEVICE (I have my sound card "Realtek HD audio rear output) yours should be different, but I assume you add your sound card here

THIRD: just below that it says INPUT DEVICE - I have LINE IN/MIC in

LASTLY you'll see below that HARDWARE INPUT MIXER (OPTIONAL) and right below that MIXER - I have REALTEK HD DIGITAL INPUT

That is all the control settings there are EXCEPT adjusting your mic out and audio in which you will see just below the last line (still on the right under AMPLIFIERS, OUTBOUND and INBOUND.

I have my mic outbound at approx 1 and inbound 10 - you will adjust these with whom ever you are talking to, so that you get all your controls comfortable to listen to.

NOTE: you need a MIC-KEY BUTTON (it is called a hot key and found on the SETUP SCREEN middle/left of the screen - you click on the box to tell it you are setting up a hot key, then hit the key you choose to use as a mic - I use my left CTRL key as my mic key and you transmit as long as you hold down the key.

Although I'm no pro on this, I think I can help you out if you show up. But remember, first things first, download and install VENTRILO CLIENT, remember to let virus software and firewalls allow it) add settings as shown above and HOPEFULLY someone will be around to chat with.

LAST NOTES. You know when you are transmitting when your NAME in the main Ventrilo window shows your name with a speaker next to it and the speaker turns GREEN as you speak - it is otherwise RED.

PLEASE GIVE THIS A TRY  -  EVERYONE wants to chat and text chat isn't so hot (although Ventrilo offer a great TEXT CHAT FEATURE TOO) but this version allows EIGHT (8) people to talk to each other, hopefully THAT will be enough for a while.

PLEASE GIVE THIS A TRY ASAP and LET ME KNOW MY SERVER FEATURE IS WORKING FINE - BEST WISHES to all, and talk to you soon.

PLEASE POST ANY QUESTIONS HERE!!!!!!!

NOTE: if it asks for a PASSWORD" type booboo (all lower case)
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 09:18:25 am »
Have downloaded Ventrilo John. Just waiting to catch up with someone at a convenient  time as it is 22.15 hrs. here in Eastern Australia.
 Keep up the good work as you obviously live a very full life.
Geoff.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 06:56:32 pm »
A quick update, VOICE CHAT is going well - I've had 9 people log in and had a few conversations with Manowar and today with Robo - it's great talking to people you have been typing to for years!!!! For those of you who have stopped by and NOT found anyone there, please post a message in the VOICE CHAT FORUM saying when you will be on and that way people who log into the forum will see you are available to chat. I know it will snowball and we will eventually have a VOICE and TEXT room that is more busy than silent - that is NOT a lofty goal, it is a likely outcome of actively seeking chatty folks like me :) You think I type long - lol, just catch me with a mic in my hand  :oops:

It is Thursday evening, I'm at work BUT will be on around 11:15pm tonight for about an hour and Friday morning (EST) from 10am to 2:30pm so please stop by and say hi. Here again is the download site www.ventrilo.com and download the CLIENT software - everyone says installation is straight forward, just make sure your mic settings in WINDOWS SOUND CONTROL PANEL is turned on and all the other sound settings are setup right in Ventrilo's settings.

Ventrilo has a great HELP feature, and there is a TEXT CHAT FEATURE if you are having trouble setting up voice (and someone is there) you can listen to them and type messages in the text window until you solve mic issues.

I don't really see you having any troubles, I'm not a techie guy (that is an understatement - all the stuff here at Beemaster.com is done using visual editors, not html coding) so I'm JOE COMPUTER USER and I had no trouble installing and working the program.

I promise that once you start using voice chat, you'll wonder how you ever did without it. Expect GUEST SPEAKERS to follow and we will have nightly and weekly chat hours scheduled so that we can all make the most of it. Being able to ASK or ANSWER BEEKEEPING QUESTIONS "LIVE" in voice is a great aid over the back and forth posting in the forum - it isn't a replacement for forum posting, but a TOOL that can enhance topics with a faster and deeper understanding.

I'm happy to offer this service - just to let you know, in order for this to work MY COMPUTER needs to be left on - it is the SERVER. When you open up the program and add my IP ADDRESS, you become the CLIENT and talk/type THROUGH my server connection.

What this enables is ALL OF US to play on-line games together and talk to each other as we do. Manowar and I have golfed (using Tiger Woods 2004 Golf) dozens of games at as many courses, all the while chatting away. It is THAT kind of thing I want all the members to be able to do - use Beemaster Forums as a hub for many of your activities.

This is a labor of LOVE, not a profitable venture for me. I'm blessed to have enough writing skills to have created a website enjoyable and entertaining enough to create a following and many of you have generously contributed your own funds to assist in the GOAL of being a FAMILY FRIENDLY, EDUCATIONAL and FUN place for people to meet each other. Voice chat is a great step forward, and eventhough there are lots of voice chat programs, I like Ventrilo because it uses very little resources and more importantly DOESN'T shove commercial advertizing down your throat!!!!

I hope you give it a try, see you in the forum and I hope you go the extra step and jump in to voice and say hi, no body bites and everyone has stories to share and as our site and forum grows, we will all be better for the experiences.

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline denart

• New Bee
This sounds great !!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 11:36:46 am »
I don't have a mike on this puter yet, but I am a good listener. So I plan to download the program this weekend and hope to learn a lot. I will be getting a mike soon just for this, I cant offer much in the way of advice since I am very new to beekeeping.....but I have lots of questions.
My first question is to you. How will I know when someone like Michael Bush is "on the air" sharing his knowledge. Will there be an alert, or just logging on and joining in by chance.
thanks
Dennis
Make a plan...BUT....Don't plan the outcome
Life is life and it ain't half bad if you dont fight it

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 03:19:14 pm »
I'm on m-f from about 6-11 usally and you can check out the voice chat tab or just log in.  Hope to see ya there.

Offline atthelake22

• New Bee
  • Pausing to give thanks
vENTRILO`
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 10:01:16 pm »
okay, downloaded the program but not getting sound...could that be because i don't have a mic? or did i mess up somehow???I so want to listen in is this possible without a microphone?? I have great speakers to listen with...HELP!!! thanks patty :oops:
"...so shines a good deed in a weary world" dahl

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 09:14:35 am »
You may not have your spreaders turned up or somthing hopefully simple.  Will be glad to help as far as i can.  Yes you should be able to listen even without a mike.  
Pm me if needed.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
MORE HELP WITH VOICE CHAT
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 10:07:27 am »
Let me lay some points to rest, hopefully they can help.

1) you don't need a mic to either "USE or LISTEN" to Voice Chat. But if you have one MAKE SURE IT IS PLUGGED IN - this is something many people miss, the mic may plug in the rear of the computer and people don't realise it has been pulled out somehow.

2) Most all problems are fixed in the WINDOWS VOLUME MASTER - the little speaker icon in the bottom right corner of your taskbar on the desktop.

3)Most people have NEVER used a mic, so they don't have it turned on - open the Windows Volume Master, click on properties and later advanced properties, place a CHECKMARK in the box next to microphone - this turns on the mics, click okay and you should see a mic slide bar amoung your other sound slide bars.

4) Check (if it is unchecked) MUTE under the microphone (unless you are using HEADPHONES - otherwise you will get squealy feedback) now raise your mick about 3/4 of the way up - you may need to adjust it later.

5) For a test you can try windows SOUND RECORDER in ASSORIES, take a quicky voice record and play it back, adjust the mic setting there if you wish. Either way, you should HEAR you talking in the play back. If you do - then you are well on your way to Ventrilo Voice Chat.

6) if you don't have a mic and still don't hear other people talking in voice chat (you can tell if people are talking - there is a little speaker next to people chat names and the speaker changers colors when they talk. If you don't hear them, also check your sound levels in the WINDOWS VOLUME MASTER, but also play with the setting in ventrilo.

Here are the original ventrilo posts (I can wing it now, I'm at work and can't use Ventrilo here) but read these over, try choosing different settings in the sound section and surely you will get thru it.

BIG NOTE: VENTRILO HAS A TEXT CHAT FEATURE - if you are trying to setup the program and someone is on - go into the text chat - they will see you have entered text because a "C" is added next to your name on the main screen.

IMPORTANT, if you HEAR THEM, let them know it so they won't type back needlessly - they can simply try to talk you through the problem. If you can not hear them, also let them know it and you can both type

Ask them if there voice is working and they will let you know. Together you should be able to get things going.

It all isn't that hard, except for the fact few people have eer used their mics before, so setup is new to them.

Reread over all this stuff http://www.beemaster.com/beebbs/viewforum.php?f=60

From the maker
http://www.ventrilo.com/setup.php

the real Ventrilo forum
http://www.ventrilo.com/forums/

And don't forget

1) server name which is beemasterforums
2) my IP Address which is 68.39.144.142
3) a password which is booboo (lower case)
4) choose a key to use as a mic button (I use my left CTRL key) and it works fine even when gaming online.

is the info you need to connect up to OUR CHAT ROOM

Please be patient - wait until someone else is on and even better if you see two or more people talking - they can brainstorm and get you going - once you do, it is worth all the weight.  Whether we are talking bees, playing online games, or just BSing with each other - it is so much fun hearing the folks you have shared time with here in the forums.

Offline Edward Collin

• Brood
Re: VOICE CHAT NOW!!! - VOICE CHAT!!! (UPDATE 8-2-06)
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 02:08:00 am »
Is there any criteria for downloading the software?
My question is to you. How will I know when someone  is "on the air" sharing his knowledge. Will i get the alert notification or just i will know through joining the chat?
Please make this one clear.
I will not post spam to another website

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 02:16:55 am »
If you look at the very bottom left of the main forum page you can see if any one is logged into ventrilo.
I see right now there is not,but generally Bud1,myself,Jim 134 or Redbee is on early in the evening.
I am at work and ventrilo is not downloaded onto this computer or I would log in. The software is free and there is no special criteria to join the chat than to be kind to the other members there.

Offline mary123

• Brood
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 06:09:33 am »
hi,
    Forum members have been talking about the Vip211 software upgrade to L436 for a few days, but my receiver is still at L435. Would love to have Dishcomm working on both HD receivers. I've tried the usual tricks, reset, check switch, hard power off, etc. without any luck. I would have thought all Vip211 would take the update at the same time, what goes?

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 07:11:40 am »
hi,
    Forum members have been talking about the Vip211 software upgrade to L436 for a few days, but my receiver is still at L435. Would love to have Dishcomm working on both HD receivers. I've tried the usual tricks, reset, check switch, hard power off, etc. without any luck. I would have thought all Vip211 would take the update at the same time, what goes?

:? :? What dos this have to do why VOICE CHAT!!!  :? :?

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 07:18:31 am »
I think she may have forgot what forum she was on or was  inquiring of the vast knowledge available here Jim! :)

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 10:29:59 am »
I googled "Vip211 software upgrade" out of her post, this is the first Hit/Link on the page and as I read the Thread I saw a Familiar one  :-D

pacuff 
SatelliteGuys Freshman Join Date:Aug 30th, 2007
Posts:22Question: Forum members have been talking about the Vip211 software upgrade to L436 for a few days, but my receiver is still at L435. Would love to have Dishcomm working on both HD receivers. I've tried the usual tricks, reset, check switch, hard power off, etc. without any luck. I would have thought all Vip211 would take the update at the same time, what goes?
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-technical-discussions/125246-activation-updates-available-all-satellites.html
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

anything