Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hobbie Kits/Foundation Question?  (Read 7816 times)

Offline Jami

• New Bee
Hobbie Kits/Foundation Question?
« on: February 12, 2005, 04:57:57 pm »
This upcoming spring will be my first year for beekeeping.  Therefor, I am starting out completely from scratch.  I have done alot of research into pricing of hobby kits.  I will be having 2 hives.  I have narrowed it down to purchasing a hobby kit from Dadant or Bee-Commerce.  Dadent had a better price for a kit and it includes a suit.  I will also need two more hive bodies, and possibly some shallow supers if my bees produce honey the first year.  I am interested only in using pure beeswax foundation, and Dadant only sells plastic foundation.  Can I buy the kit from Dadent, remove the foundation and put in pure beeswax foundation from Bee-Commerce into the frames that I buy from Dadant?  I assume all foundation and frames are interchangable?  Also, if anybody has experience with products (especially the quality of the hive components) from Dadant or Bee-Commerce I would like your opinion.  I can't decide of I should dpend the extra for Bee-Commerce (is it worth it?) or are Dadant products just as good?

Offline Jay

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 05:43:13 pm »
I have bought many things from Dadant and they are a very reputable company. Their products are very good. You will find as you shop around, that prices vary widely. Some places are right on par with many other places, and then some others are right out of the ball park. In comparing Dadant to Better Bee for instance, I have found that one place will have better prices on this and the other better prices on that. Of course you don't want to buy ten different things from ten different companies because the shipping will kill you!

Incidently, you can get beeswax foundation from Dadant, both wired and unwired they just don't include it in with their kit. Give them a call, however, they may do a substitution for you. Good luck and have fun!! Welcome to the craziness! :D  :D  :D
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 05:58:22 pm »
Yup I bought crimp wired foundation from Dadant last fall.
The Michigan office has moved from Poterville to Albion. Is now about an equal distance to go to Gorbs or Dadant.
 :D Al

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 09:06:10 pm »
I agree with Jay, give them a call.  I'm sure they will be able to substitute for you.  I have dealt with Dadant for many years, and they are very reputable.
I have never dealt with bee commerce, too pricey for me.

Seems like I do most of my business with Walter Kelley and BetterBee though.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline firetool

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 08:19:46 am »
Have you cheked in to mann lakes kit that they have I vary good one. The best prices on wooden wear that I have thound is Western bee supply. I am just getting started my self and have also doon alot of resurch. This is what I have found! My situation is alitle diffrent though I have a loccal selling me two hive bodies with bees to get started with. So I just needed the rest of the hives and equipment to get started with.
 Good luck and I hope this has been helpful.

Have A good day,

Brian Nall

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 09:07:01 am »
Yes, I myself am getting a mannlake kit and it is very nice. Everything is put together already but the frames and the stand. Other than that it is all done and comes with foundation. bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Rich V

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 12:21:51 am »
Jami

I purchased two deeps,and two supers with bottom boards,and tops from Dadant  in Watertown Wi. last month. The frames were also included,but I had to put it all together. I also bought 100% wax foundation. The quality is good. The prices were just a little less then the other place I checked.
Have you ordered your Bees yet?

Rich V

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 08:25:23 am »
Quote from: Horns Pure Honey
Yes, I myself am getting a mannlake kit and it is very nice. Everything is put together already but the frames and the stand. Other than that it is all done and comes with foundation. bye :D

My first buy was a kit from Mann Lake.  The only thing I had to assemble was the stand.  I was very happy with it, and bought another hive from them later in the year.  Shipping charges are killer though, so I started building my own.

-- Kris

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 03:08:49 pm »
Thats what I am doing Kris. My first hive will be from mannlake and the rest will be built so we always have say at least 3 on hand to use if need be and I also am building extra body parts incase of breakage, bye :D
Ryan Horn

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 07:12:06 pm »
Living in Michigan you can save a bundle on shipping charges by going to Dadant in Albion Michigan or Gorebs in Onstead Michigan  (517) 467-2065. Dadant I'm not that fimular with but I do know at Gorebs You can buy Mann Lake stuff, Kellys and a few others. You can walk and asile and select what every you wish to buy on the spot and compare brands.
I personally would forget the kit and do a work up of things you will need for the first full year all at once.
It is a pain when the girls want more room and you don't have that second deep or super to give to them.

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2005, 12:07:45 am »
Just to throw a fly in the ointment... I'm not sure I'd go with a kit if I had it to do all over again. I'd add up the prices of what I really wanted with what's in the kit, and judge the difference. For instance, I prefer screened bottom boards. The gloves are a waste. I'll keep them in case visitors feel the need, but I can't imagine using them. And I needed a hat that wasn't provided, so maybe a jacket would have been better.

And then there are those who say that it's better (for the beekeeper) to go with all mediums. Then foundation is all the same size, as are supers etc., so you don't have to worry about putting the wrong size frame in a deep.

The problem is that you don't know when you're new what you might prefer.
Lesli

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2005, 10:12:51 am »
I skipped the beginner kit for a couple of reasons.
(1. I read in John Vavain's book what a beekeeper needed for a colony for one year.
(2. Took the things in the starter kit and did a seperate price list then used the real need list to compare the price and found it cheaper to buy just the things I wanted.
For me a suit wasn't needed and when I thought I needed one I just used the throw away painter suits from the paint store about $5.00.
I also placed on my christmas & birthday list things that the family could buy me as gifts.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2005, 02:43:07 pm »
I know I wouldn't buy a starter kit.

They come with a solid bottom board and I'd want a Screened bottom board.  They come with plastic large cell foundation and I'd want wax small cell.  They come with deeps for the brood and I'd want mediums.  They come with shallows for the supers and I'd want mediums.  They come with a queen excluder, and I can live fine without one, plus the excluder is the plastic ones, and I prefer the wood bound metal ones if I use them at all. They come with a little hive tool that ok but I'd rather have the Italian one from Brushy Mt.  They come with a smoker, but it's really too small.  I'd rather have a bigger one and make an insert or, if I don't mind spending the money, get a Rauchboy.  They come with a veil.  I never use a veil by itself.  I usually use a jacket with a zip on veil.  I don't mind the gloves, but I prefer a simple pair of leather gloves that I can stuff under the elestic on the sleeves of my jacket if I want to put them on.  They are easier to get on and off and work fine for me.  They usually come with an entrace feeder and I hate entrance feeders.  All in all, there is really not ONE piece of equipent in the kit that I would have bought execpt MAYBE the lid.  Since I got tired of the skunks and mice and closed off the bottom entrance and started buying migratory covers and shims to make a top entrance, I don't even want the cover or inner cover.  So now we have a starter kit that has not one piece of equipment that I would have bought.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jami

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2005, 03:10:34 pm »
This is an update.  I called Dadants to see if they could replace the plastic foundation for the beewax. I  also wanted prices for two more hive bodies and a feeder because I am having 2 hives .  He sent me a list in the mail with everything in the kit added up seperately, and added more money for the price with the foundation that should have come with the kit. Shouldn't I have gotten an equal trade because beeswax isn't more expensive than the plastic.  I am not sure why he added everything that comes with the kit seperately, (besides the obvious increase in price).  So that irked me somewhat.  By purchasing the kit, it usually knocks a few bucks off.

I will purchase everything seperately and not purchase the things that come with the kit I don't need such as books and magazine subscription.  And I want different feeders.  Plus with Dandant, there is no shipping charge within Michigan or I can pick it up.

My bees are being shipped on April 9th from Kellys.  I am so excited!!

I will look into the other companies everyone has suggested.

Thanks!  Jami

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2005, 09:19:48 pm »
So now we have a starter kit that has not one piece of equipment that I would have bought.

I'm with you on that, and I considered not doing the kit thing when I started. But I was intimidated by terminology, and worried I'd get the wrong size frames/foundation/supers or that I was misunderstanding something.

So, newbies, ask away!
Lesli

Anonymous

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2005, 12:49:56 pm »
It is all understandable what comes in the kits. They were products that were thought to be needed many years ago that have never been updated to todays times. Things change over time as new stuff is devloped and companys are just so slow to make changes.