Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Water based paint Vs oil based paint: which do you use?  (Read 7801 times)

Offline Yarra_Valley

• House Bee
Water based paint Vs oil based paint: which do you use?
« on: February 18, 2005, 10:25:12 am »
Traditionally oil paint has been used to paint hives, and apparantly not too many people over here seem too keen to use waterbased paint. Apparantly it can give off an odour when it heats up in the sun. To me water based paint seems very convenient. With water based two coats of paint , versus oil based: primer, undercoat and two coats. Drying times are also faster with water based.  

So I was wondering what experience you guys have had with different types of paint.

Thanks guys.
Careful, my pets can smell your hives. 8)

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 02:58:06 pm »
Water based paint can wash off over time and yes it does smell when it cooks or when it hasnt been used in a while due to the water starts to go "bad" if you might say. I myself wouldnt use it, bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 03:31:09 pm »
I've used both without issue.   The waterbase tends to not last as long as the oilbase, but other than that I wouldn't hesitate to use it if you have it.

I usually buy  mixing screw-ups (deep discounted) for my hives.  Since you only paint the exterior, I wouldn't worry about the cooking effect you talked of. I have never noticed such a thing.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Kyle Clark

• Brood
where to paint
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 09:21:27 pm »
What part of the hive needs to be painted. just the outside? or everything? or what?
The World Is Clay... Leave Your Mark On It

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 09:28:07 pm »
Just the outside--and some people don't even do that.

I prefer stain. I like the natural look.
Lesli

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2005, 09:39:33 pm »
I like stain to, but is cheaper to get mess up paint, bye
Ryan Horn

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Re: where to paint
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2005, 11:03:47 pm »
Quote from: Kyle Clark
What part of the hive needs to be painted. just the outside? or everything? or what?

If you're going to paint, paint only the outside of the boxes, the girls will propolise the inner surfaces.

Paint both inside and outside surfaces of the telescoping outer cover and the bottom board, they both get a lot of use from the bees.

Don't do anything to the inner cover, insides of the boxes or any parts of the frames.

Hope this helps, good luck! :D
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline Kyle Clark

• Brood
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005, 02:49:41 am »
Thanks for the advise.
The World Is Clay... Leave Your Mark On It

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2005, 08:45:08 am »
I don't know how much a gallon of "oops" paint is, but the big stores have "oops" stain colors, too, at about $5 a gallon.
Lesli

Offline Yarra_Valley

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2005, 08:56:26 am »
I've got heaps of acrylic paint around the house, and I have a really nice light green colour. Its my favorite colour, will fit in well with the environment, and hopefully will be a little cooler than using stain. I do like the look of stain though, and I do have a bit around.

I won't have to worry about painting the teloscoping outer cover or the inner cover because here we use migratory covers and therefore and have a need for inner cover  :)

I have one super that someone has painted dark brown with a water-based paint, so I've given it two coats of mist green over the top. Looks really nice. The paint is quite soft hopefully it will harden up a bit.

As for the others, they all have enamel on them. Will have to deal with them a bit differently.

Thanks for all your help guys  :D
Careful, my pets can smell your hives. 8)

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
paint
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2005, 10:11:43 am »
I'm a house painter if you prime your hives with a good exterior primer
and two coats of a exterior acrylic paint it will out perform the oil paint from my experience but if you only have a couple of hives it is easy to get a mis tinted quart or two at the paint store at a discount and paint your hive kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2005, 01:10:02 pm »
I bought four one gallon cans of oops Olimpic stain at lowe's at the end of Oct. They were five dollars each and had a three dollar rebate slip print out with the recipet. The clerk said they wouldn't give me the rebate because I didn't pay full price, but I sent the rebate in and recivied a month latter a check for $12.00 so the stain cost me two dollars a gallon. I still wouldn't turn up my nose at five dollars a gallon either.
Only you can determin if the color is exceptable to you or you can mixx a couple to get a color you can live with.
 :D  Al