Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Out west in Santa Cruz  (Read 2619 times)

Offline renmag

• New Bee
Out west in Santa Cruz
« on: August 15, 2008, 09:02:23 pm »
What to say, What to say?
We live out in South Santa Cruz county in the Pajaro valley.  Lots of large scale commercial ag. We are up a small valley at about 500ft. elevation.  Our valley for the longest time was planted in apples but the trend is toward wine grapes.  The valley ridges are mostly in eucalyptus with the slopes in poison oak, manzanita and other chapparel sp.  We have our two hives in our small orchard of apples, peaches, plums, and pears.  In addition we have about a 1/4 acre of lavender and mixed cut flowers in the back yard. 

We have two hive, one Italian and One Carniola.  Both started in the Beginning of April from packages.  Fed for build up then left to there own devices.  Had some Varroa on the sticky trap early on in the season but none since the bees have been working the Lavender. 
We have had bees before but weren't successful.

This year things seem to be going better.
Cross our fingers. 
Renmag

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Out west in Santa Cruz
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 04:49:36 pm »
Renmag.  Welcome to our forum.  You have painted a very beautiful picture of where you live in my mind's eye.  It sounds like things are going great with your bees.  Tell us what happened when you tried to keep bees before, without success, I would love to know.  This is a wonderful place to spend time, this you will find out.  Have that most wonderful and awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline jojoroxx

• House Bee
  • Northern California Nature Girl
    • SoHumMushers
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 09:52:43 pm »
I love Santa Cruz, we have family inland from you. Beautiful area for sure. Good luck with your bees!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 10:48:56 pm »
Another California women here!!! I live in Placerville about 45 minutes north of Sacramento. I have 2 hives which I started in August 2006. It has been challenging to say the least, but I never give up and so far have 2 strong and healthy hives right now. You can ask many questions here as you go along and hopefully you can be successful this time around. I could not have done it all without this forum and the wonderful members who are so helpful.

Keep in touch.
Annette

Offline Landphil

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 07:14:30 pm »
Allright!  Another Santa Cruzan, or Corralitos-ite, whatever... welcome.  I will look forward to your posts on how things are going in our part of the world.