Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My first package! Headed to Beemaster 4-30-07  (Read 6182 times)

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
My first package! Headed to Beemaster 4-30-07
« on: April 29, 2007, 08:27:12 pm »
Me and Austin getting all the stuff ready to shake Beemaster a package of bees.
Stainless steel funnel, package cage and syrup can(from rossmans)and a home grown southern marked queen.

Everyone in and all put together.

Ready to ship tomorrow headed to New Jersey.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: My first package! Headed to Beemaster 4-30-07
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 08:45:46 pm »
Wheres the overnight bag?

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 10:07:39 pm »
Oh sure bribe the boss. :-D

Excellent job pdmattox.

Now please send two queens to me. Set up for queens to arrive on friday. I will be in Atlanta until Thursday night.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 10:09:58 pm »
congratulation ole commercial beekeeper ;)
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 12:13:37 am »
Hi Guys:

First... Thanks to PdMattox and Austin, I am really honored to take this opportunity to restart my beeyard knowing all the hard work and outstanding growth that Dallas (AKA PDMattox) and Austin have put into their beeyard. Hope I'm not giving this away but they are nearing their 1 year anniversary in beekeeping and they are already a flourishing new commercial entrepenership - BRAVO and KUDOS!

I'm really excited to receive their package, especially with young Austins OWN raised SUPER EGG MACHINE of a QUEEN - wow!!!! Just look at Austin in the photos above - there is a beekeeper, 9 years old and responcible for his own bees, that makes a lot of people proud to see, our hobby and the fate of honeybees may just be dependant on this next generation (generation "Y" I hear them called - young folk who NEVER knew the world without the Internet, Cell Phones, email and instant messaging) Austin sure is making his generation proud, tending to nature and making a difference!

I'll be video-capturing the whole install process - going to do the VERY BEST editing and narrating job I can and have it available for all to see. I know years from now, when Austin looks back, he'll remember this and when we meet over this Summer we'll have lots to talk about too :)

TED

I'll be shipped out the other package Monday morning if all goes as planned - weather is good everywhere, so I don't see a problem, so Wednesday I should have NOT just ONE but TWO packages - man am I back in the saddle - I was kinda feeling like a Keebler Elf with out a cookie factory - lol. Now I'll have two hives to compare and grow. That is ALWAYS the best way to START or RESTART a yard. Thanks Ted for the lead :)

Again, Dallas and Austin - I'm proud to be the first recipient from the future bee supplier of Northern hemisphere: I don't doubt for a second you are both headed for greatness in the bee world. I don't know of anyone more passionate and hardworking in the beeyard, you are really accomplishing miracles without pushing the envelope beyond what your hives can sustain - that in itself shows great conscious efforts on your part - again BRAVO!

_______________   VENTRILO VOICE CHAT for you NEW MEMBERS _________________

I'm going to make a new appeal - we have had UNREAL growth in the forum these last few months, beekeeping is a hot topic these days and THIS MONTH alone we exceeded 112 new members, and new record posts and topics BUT we haven't had any NEW MEMBERS in Ventrilo Chat - ugh. Somehow I'm missing out on spreading the word and I'll be posting in the CALENDAR that is up coming week will be NEW MEMBER VOICE CHAT WEEK, a time when we can hopefully introduce new or seasoned members to this near magical way we communicate nightly around the globe seemlessly and easily with nothing more than a cheap mic and speakers or headsets. The technology is VOICE OVER IP - the same type of communication your cable or dsl service offers you in those cable, phone and internet deals EXCEPT of course it is free, it is easy to setup and it uses very little resources from your computer.

We average anywhere from 5 to 8 people online in voice chat every evening and often play great online multiplayer war and golf games while chatting away - you just install the easy software, adjust the mic and pic a key for push to talk and you are on the air live with members from the forum. Honestly, it is an extension of the forum that you are really missing out on - a feature that has brought great friendship to many members.

For those reading this who are new - a link on setting up our VOICE CHAT will follow. The many members who currently meet in voice chat nearly every evening "are far from just members" they are family. It is a warm, fun and friendly place to talk about bees, play online games and just chat with friends from around this wonderful planet in QUALITY AUDIO - I promise, you are seriously missing out on a wonderful way to expand your forum experience, your knowledge on beekeeping and learning in an instantaneous environment facts about places you only dream about.

The growth of the forum is awesome, there is no other way to put it. We are proud to offer it and keeping it safe and friendly for your entire family is our goal. Parents are always worried (and rightfully so) about where their kids are on the net: in our voice chat, they are supervised and communicate in a fun and friendly enviroment. It is really great to hear the kids of the forum in voice chat, both being kids and being young beekeepers - the interaction with young folks like Austin, Katelyn, Samantha and Josh gives us old fogies a real promise that we have a generation of smart and well spoken young folks that make all their parents proud. Hopefully, you too have kids who are in need of a safe place to interact with others their own age, why not give it a try for you and for them.

Best wishes all - To all you voice chatters, it makes for a wonderful day to spend time laughing, learning and playing games with you all :)

VENTRILO VOICE and TEXT CHAT - http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=5880.0

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline kgbenson

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 10:21:57 am »
Where did you get that humongous funnel?

Keith
Bee-sting Honey . . . So Good It Hurts.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 11:32:11 am »
Dallas, right on, and give your son a great pat on the back.  John is right, it is fantastic that after only this short time you are getting on so well with your bees.  Keep on working hard, excellent.  Have a wonderful day, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 06:13:55 pm »
Where did you get that humongous funnel?

Keith

The funnel was once used in our steam and chiller plant to put salt and bromine tablets into systems and was no longer needed when everything went automated and were due to be thrown away.  I had seen a similar one in the abc,xyz book and thought that one day that thing may come in handy.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 10:43:00 pm »
Hey, what is the tracking number on that package?

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 04:53:48 am »
Just look at Austin in the photos above - there is a beekeeper, 9 years old and responcible for his own bees, that makes a lot of people proud to see, our hobby and the fate of honeybees may just be dependant on this next generation (generation "Y" I hear them called - young folk who NEVER knew the world without the Internet, Cell Phones, email and instant messaging) Austin sure is making his generation proud, tending to nature and making a difference!

I think that is so awesome!  The local beekeeper association here is doing a program to get teenagers into beekeeping, providing the equipment at no or little cost.  Plus all the mentoring and classes they can eat.  If I had known I could have raised honeybees in FFA when I was in highschool, I would have!  Instead I raised trout which I released and never got to eat one.  :-)
My 12 year old sister has shown an AWESOME interest in beekeeping and she's become my "helper".  My parents live in the property next to ours, so they're really close.  I told my sis that when she get's in highschool or even before, with mom's permission, we'll start her a hive of her own on my property (my dad has a phobia of bees and would never have them on theirs).
I think all beeks should take a youth under their wing, even if you're a newbee like me.  You can learn together making it all the more fun.

Sean
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 04:55:00 am »
Oh yeah, John, congrats on your new package!!!  Can't wait to see the videos!!!!!!!!   And I think a scheduled ventrilo meeting would be awesome!  I just hope it's on a Monday or Tuesday.  :-)

Sean
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 11:52:58 pm »
That looks like a 5 lb package to me.  Lucky dog.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 05:08:28 am »
Chuck Austin in the box as well, I know John would like a bit of close 1on1 coaching with Wolfenstein!

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 05:55:25 am »
When you say "shipped" do you mean by mail or did you guys drive up to John or did John drive down to you?  Cant wait to see John's footage when he get's it all ready!  Speakin of Wolfenstein.... I haven't played on there for a long time!  Hmm.....

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 05:07:03 pm »
UPDATE:

Package arrived WEDNESDAY MORNING and bees are in FINE shape :) I'm just out of the shower now after working all day and getting ready to set up the VIDEO EQUIPMENT. It is roughly 4pm, sunny, light wind and wonderful out side.

I'm looking for a nice shirt to wear in the video, nothing fancy, but something that doesn't clash with Das Bees :)

I also am DIGITALLY CAPTURING audio with my hidden digi-recorder to either dub or play later in snippets - in hindsites BEESTINGS are almost always funnier - lol.

Thanks Dallas and Austin - I'm sure the last of the footage I capture will have orientation flights and entrance activity. Rough footage tonight and coming soon to a Youtube/Zunibee Theatre near you Beemaster - installing package bees Video.

P.S. It's a good feeling being the host of the forums, GREAT actually - but being host AND having bees in my yard is SURELY a better combination that just "That beeless guy who hosts the forum". This video will show many things, including STILL IMAGES weaved in to illustrate points, I've already taken many stills to fill those voids when I'm narrarting the movie.

Enough for now - NEXT POST will be a recap of the install and how it went. I'm hoping that I'm able to prove the simplistic "roll the bees from the screened side of the cage" install method - it also allows you to get INSIDE the shipping cage and carefully pull out dead bees BEFORE dumping the live ones in - I know the bees remove their dead, but I think the more I do in preparation, the sooner THEY get to work.

Wish me luck..... I'm going in.

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 05:33:59 pm »
Good luck
go man go!

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 07:05:09 pm »
That's so awesome John!  Can't wait to check out the video on zunibee!!!!!

Best of luck my friend!!!

Sean Kelly

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 07:23:57 pm »
Hi All:

Video done capturing, Bees are in their new home and it was a totally sting free experience :) I was in short sleeve shirt, no hood or vail, and they were all very cooperative. I brought a few stragglers (who thought my yellow shirt was a flower I think) into the house, but I'm know for that! My wife still has some flowers in the house from last weeks surgery, I think I know whwere they'll be :)

I took a full 29 mins and 55 secs of video which should translate to about 2 ten minute movies with some repeat content in each. I think it is all going to look great, for what I see on the camera screen, the quality is awesome and I moved the camera around a lot to catch different angles.

I'll do my best to get the ROUGH CUT up tonight, the final DIRECTORS CUT will be edited and narrated out in a few days. I'll post links in this post and a new one in WEB VIDEOS too.

Thanks for the kind words. It was 2004 since I last installed a package and being cameraman, director, narrator and production crew is a handful - I just didn't want to wait until my wife got home from work, I wanted to make use of the sunlight and although it started out a very drizzly day, it turned out beautiful.

Dallas and Austin's bees/Queen are very gentle and were easy to work with, even that one who like sitting on my nose for about 5 minutes - lol.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007, 10:35:38 am »
John, right on!!!  YOu are a master for surely, LOL, of the bees and this forum.  Can't wait to see the video that you are gonna work so hard on, we all know that.  Work hard, get it ready for us.  Have a wonderful day, great life and best of health wishes.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007, 04:11:57 pm »
VIDEO ONLINE NOW:

I worked hard getting 30 minutes of content into under 10 minutes of video, but mister talkative didn't shut up through the whole filming, so there was no need to narrate the video - I think it really came out good. Here is the link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a4a-Tw-qFI

I'm really hoping you enjoy it. I'll also post it ELSEWHERE to get some good exposure, people are still getting packages, so maybe I'll show a few methods they haven't heard of before. Let me know what you think :)

anything