Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The chicks are here!  (Read 3573 times)

Offline Rebecka

• New Bee
The chicks are here!
« on: April 16, 2010, 02:14:27 pm »
125 of the cutest chicks on the planet have now made their way to the coup. I don't know enough about them to tell you what they all are. I know they are mostly RIR, but I dont know what the yellow one and the black and white ones are yet.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: The chicks are here!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 02:50:37 pm »
Got pictures?  Those are the cutest fuzzballs imaginable, although the incessant peeping can drive a person to insanity!!

BTW, it is only a coup if it has 2 doors.  Otherwise it is a coop! :-D
Rick

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 03:09:04 pm »
Ours is a coupe, as it has two doors.  One to enter, and one seperating storage from living quarters...LOL

Offline Rebecka

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 03:28:49 pm »
No pics yet, but soon, I promise! So, does one door way with two doors count as a coup? ;)

Offline Rebecka

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 12:06:42 am »
We lost 7 chicks overnight last night. I noticed they were all exceptionally smaller than the others. It also got pretty chilly too.. 34F. We have heat lights on them and its going to get about the same tonight. We added another light. Is this normal or am I really screwing this chicken raising thing up?

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 09:06:25 am »
They can die at the drop of a  hat.  Pam's chickens will be doing well, no sign of any illness or distress, then out of the blue I'll find a dead one in the morning.  Your's probably succumbed to the cold, but I'm no expert.

Offline Rebecka

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 01:42:39 am »
Okay, I have to be doing something wrong. Mid day.. all warn.. everyone watered and fed and happy and an hour later we find two dead. I swear they were fine! I check them in accordance with near maternal OCD.  For no longer than we have have them, they see me and come running to me. All wanting to be held and cooed upon. Can I be handling them too much? I always wash up before going out to sit with them. I get in the coup and the all snuggle in around me. They get only starter feed and the asian beetles I catch for them. We have now lost 9!

Offline likes2grill

• Dan
  • House Bee
    • D's Bees
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 10:34:55 am »
Okay, I have to be doing something wrong. Mid day.. all warn.. everyone watered and fed and happy and an hour later we find two dead. I swear they were fine! I check them in accordance with near maternal OCD.  For no longer than we have have them, they see me and come running to me. All wanting to be held and cooed upon. Can I be handling them too much? I always wash up before going out to sit with them. I get in the coup and the all snuggle in around me. They get only starter feed and the asian beetles I catch for them. We have now lost 9!

Try looking here http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/index.php lots of help there.

Offline Rebecka

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 11:10:22 pm »
Thanks so much for that link. I dont know why it never occurred to me to look for a chicken forum. However, its confirmed. I am not a bad chicken momma. I feel loads better for knowing that for the numbers we have, we are actually below expected losses :)

anything