Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Doing a cut-out tomorrow got a question.  (Read 8395 times)

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
Re: Re: Doing a cut-out tomorrow got a question.
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2013, 12:57:47 am »
Rob, are you saying that a large bee that looks like a honeybee is a ground dweller?
Or the first open air colony you saw was large?
 :-D
Later,
Ray

Offline jredburn

• House Bee
    • Poorboybees
Re: Doing a cut-out tomorrow got a question.
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 05:52:50 pm »
I just did one similar to what you have.  It was 4 meters up and nothing over the top to hang on to.  I laid a ladder up against the limb just off to the trunk side.  I took a large plastic garbage sack and slipped it up and over the comb, then I took a knife and cut everything off the underside of the limb at one stroke.  i folded the bag up tight, climbed down the ladder and put the bag in a cardboard box and sealed it.   The box had large air holes in it that were covered with 1/8" wire mesh.   The flying bees could smell the queen in the box and they clustered around the outside of the box.  I took them to the yard and the next day transferred them into a regular box. 
regards
Joe

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 11:06:35 pm »
i did one this evening that was about 10 feet off the ground.  5 open combs.  it was kind of rushed but the lows are getting down there so i didn't want to wait.  i did it on a ladder and just sawed the limb and carried it down.  they're in the back of my truck now and i'll take them to the country in the morning.  incredibly gentle bees, the only sting i got was when i mashed one.  i sawed the limb with my face right next to the comb and they crawled around on my head but no aggression. 

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
Re: Re: Re: Doing a cut-out tomorrow got a question.
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 11:21:17 pm »
i did one this evening that was about 10 feet off the ground.  5 open combs.  it was kind of rushed but the lows are getting down there so i didn't want to wait.  i did it on a ladder and just sawed the limb and carried it down.  they're in the back of my truck now and i'll take them to the country in the morning.  incredibly gentle bees, the only sting i got was when i mashed one.  i sawed the limb with my face right next to the comb and they crawled around on my head but no aggression. 

I think that they're just grateful for the help. Both open air cutouts I've done were very gentle. Congrats Rob.
Later,
Ray

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 10:51:23 am »
ray, i feel sure they're bees that absconded because of hive beetles and i always wonder if the lack of aggression is what lets the beetles take over.  i'll move them to a nuc and baby them but that queen will be the first one out of the gene pool come spring.  it's fun to do a cut out in a tee shirt with no veil but i'll take stings over beetles any day.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 12:22:03 pm »
ray, i feel sure they're bees that absconded because of hive beetles and i always wonder if the lack of aggression is what lets the beetles take over.  i'll move them to a nuc and baby them but that queen will be the first one out of the gene pool come spring.  it's fun to do a cut out in a tee shirt with no veil but i'll take stings over beetles any day.

Rob, The colony I just gained had been on that limb since June. Sounded more like a swarm than an abscond. I don't know for sure though. I'd see how it went. I just combined the cut out with a hive that I feel the queen was not up to snuff, not building up for winter. I still have the questionable queen, I hate to just kill her, she looks good, nice and large. I'm gonna put her in a small nuc and see how she does. Just to see if it could be russian traits. Still have a good golden rod flow. I have 5 colonies honey bound. I'm going to add drawn comb supers to each today.
Later,
Ray

Offline ozebee

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 02:04:46 am »
I removed one recently which had some protection but was very much in the open. It was massive and according to the land owner, was only there for some 3 weeks. Judging by the amount of brrod it had I would say more like 6-8 weeks.

If you into swarm collecting join up to www.swarmpatrol.com

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 09:44:38 am »
oze, that's a good one.
ray, mine aren't working as hard as they were a week ago and i've got a couple of other weeds blooming that they're working now.  still getting a good bit of white pollen.
the bees i got have only been there a couple of weeks judging by the color of the combs and the size of the colony.  i'm wishing i had a quarantine yard to put them in but with the barn building and deer season starting along with the fact that i didn't expect to do a removal this time of year i put them on my place.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 06:01:32 pm »
G'day Mate. Agreed,  that was a good one. Your season must be going well right about now.
Later,
Ray

Offline ozebee

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2013, 09:10:30 pm »
G'day to all!!

Yes we are having a very early and hot spring on the East Coast so lots of swarms but too many already trying to go into wall cavities. Obviously people not noticing them early enough to be picked up from trees or bushes. Could be a good season if we now get a bit of rain.

anything