Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Adding Honey Super Questions  (Read 1509 times)

Offline SteamboatBee

• New Bee
Adding Honey Super Questions
« on: July 05, 2015, 11:19:05 pm »
I just started 2 hives this year, and have been told by several fellow beeks that I should not expect honey this year. I really have been trying to leave them alone and let them do their thing. I peeked into both hives yesterday and one is significantly more "full" than the other in the second deep box. Here are my questions....

1. As general rule of thumb, when do you add the honey super? More specifically, what should it look like inside and what should I be looking for?

2. When is to late in the season to add the Honey super? I realize this is based on flow and other factors, but again are there some general guidelines I can use?

I live in the Olympia, Washington area and realize both of these questions are very much environment based so any information is much appreciated, and if you have pictures that help answer my questions so I can see what I should be looking for EVEN BETTER!!

Thanks for all your help, advice and guidance in advance.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
Re: Adding Honey Super Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 11:32:15 pm »
Don't let your bees hear those other fellows talking!  :cheesy:

It's not unusual for a new hive to make a surplus the first season. 

I've read it's time when the box is 80% full. It takes room to make honey, and backfilling the broodnest can slow your queen down.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 11:45:36 pm »
I have never had bees before so consider that with what I say.  My memory isn't the greatest either.  To get to it, I have allways read what maggies dad posted.  As far as getting honey, I hope I get this correct, Michael Bush answered my question one that you needed two frames of honey for one frame of bees.  If you had less then one frame of honey per frame of bees, you need to feed.  Anything over two frames of honey per frame of bees, you might as well take and harvest.  It sounded good and safe to me though I have no experiance, I take it on faith.  Not to steal your thread but I am wondering what month a guy would do the counts of honey frames and bees?
Hope I am not out of line asking that last question.
Thanks
gww

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 12:38:31 am »
1. As general rule of thumb, when do you add the honey super? More specifically, what should it look like inside and what should I be looking for?

80 percent drawn is the standard answer when adding another box.  What I look for is how many bees are in there.  There needs to be enough bees to be able to patrol and protect to additional area.  If you lift the lid and see bees solid between the frames then its time to add a box.  If you only see a few bees between the frames then there may not be enough bees to guard the additional room.

2. When is to late in the season to add the Honey super? I realize this is based on flow and other factors, but again are there some general guidelines I can use?

If your flow is over then there is no reason to add another box.  In my area I'll add boxes through august if necessary.  Then I start checking the hive weight to make sure they have enough stores for winter.  I'll feed if they need it and then remove any unfilled boxes.  A lot depends on when you get your first hard freeze.  Cause that pretty much will end any nectar flow.  Also if you need to feed, you need to do that early enough so that is warm enough for them to take sugar water. 

I hope that helps a little and I hope others will chime in with their opinions.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 01:50:16 am »
we are fortunate in the PNW to not have a SHB problem.  If you are going to err, do it on the side of more space, not less.  this would not apply in areas that have heavy moth or SHB infestation.

I am south of you.  It's bone dry and the flow is pretty much done, but because they had filled things up and because they are still hitting something...maybe some buckwheat I planted, I added another box to everyone.  If they don't use it, nothing lost.  You can apply that 80% rule if you keep a close eye on them and if you know what's going on under the honey supers.  If you are waiting and they have decided to back fill the brood nest rather than finish the honey super, you have a problem. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Football928

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 09:46:44 am »
If you are waiting and they have decided to back fill the brood nest rather than finish the honey super, you have a problem.

Its not a huge problem but if its earlier in the year just move the empty brood frames more to the middle so they start working on those when i added mine it took a weeks to get bees in the super building comb

anything