Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can You Check Too Frequently?  (Read 8019 times)

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Can You Check Too Frequently?
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2005, 10:24:10 am »
I don't think the slatted racks make the mice any better or worse, they do tend to build their nests underneath, but if they arent' there they just tend to build them on the bottom bars of the combs after they chew out an area to do it.  The slatted racks will not keep the mice out or in any way mitigate the damage, nor will they make it any worse.  The mice will still get in.  They will still eat the bees and the honey and the brood.  Still chew up your frames and smell up your hive.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2005, 12:39:16 pm »
My hives are wood, with the traditional bottom entrance. I used the metal "universal entrance reducers" from Betterbee (or Dandant, I think both have them). No mouse problems. Don't know if it will work every year--and I do sorta like the top entrance idea.

I should point out that I live in a rural area, and mice are definitely abundant.
Lesli

Offline firetool

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2005, 12:24:08 pm »
I would just make sure there are plany of cats and snakes around to keep the mice population down in the area. Atlest around my house.

Brian :twisted:

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2005, 02:10:48 pm »
Quote from: firetool
I would just make sure there are plany of cats and snakes around to keep the mice population down in the area. Atlest around my house.

Brian :twisted:

How it happens! I had 50 cats in my nabour and they were not able to eat all mice. Mice still  come to my house  :shock:

anything