Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I caught a swarm!! I caught a swarm!!  (Read 8450 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
I caught a swarm!! I caught a swarm!!
« on: April 22, 2009, 11:42:23 pm »
OK dear people. I received a call yesterday afternoon about a swarm.  I am keeping it a secret where the swarm is located.  You will understand how ironic this is, how unusual that this would happen to me.  Quite frankly this is hysterical.

My very own, first ever swarm and I went alone.  But I could not have done it without the guidance of our very own master swarm catcher """JP""".  JP gave me his cell number and I called him when I got the call. He guided me along the way about the technique to use and what to bring etc.  When I got there I had a little trouble and I called him again and again and again and he helped me along.

I was very, very nervous, but I did feel confident that I knew what to do.

Well here is the secret :-D :-D :-D

Of all places an umbrella!!!!! How funny is this !!!!!!

As you can see this is an afterswarm, very small swarm. Probably a virgin queen is what JP believes.

Below is the setup that JP suggested to me.

The swarm was hanging from a rope as you can see above and I grabbed the rope on top and shook the swarm into box  and then set the box on the floor to catch the ones that did not fall in at first. Well I thought I got the queen as you can see from the photos below it looks like they are marching in to the box.

And here also

But although all the bees on the ground walked into this box, about 1/2 hour later it became apparent that the bees were all flying back up to the umbrella.  So I tried again and they flew back up again. Finally the third time (this time I just grabbed the cluster and threw them into the box) and this time I believe I truly had the queen as you can see in the photos below they are doing that butt up in the air thing.  There were a few bees doing this at the entrance although in the photo you can see only one or two.

I left and came back a couple hours later because there were still a few bees clustered on the umbrella and I wanted to get them all.  I could not and it was getting dark and I had to leave so a few bees remained on that umbrella.

I now have them in a little medium nuc I bought from Brushy Mt. This afterswarm is way to tiny to survive on its own.  I am feeding it now and tomorrow I will try to find a couple of frames of brood from my other hives. JP also suggested I place this swarm in the place of another strong hive so the returning foragers will go into this swarm and the numbers will build up.

This was an unbelievable experience for me. I was very, very happy doing the entire thing and I truly appreciate that JP made himself available to answer all my questions. He was so very supportive and very patient. That is the main thing for me, when I get nervous I want someone to be patient with me. He also is very wonderful to talk to, very soothing voice.

Thank you JP from the bottom of my heart for being there and walking me through this experience.

Now I hope and pray this little swarm will make it.

Annette

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
Re: I caught a swarm!! I caught a swarm!!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 12:15:05 am »
very good annett, jp called me and told me of the catch. he was so proud that they were clustered on an umbrella.
i thought it was very fitting myself!

bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 12:23:39 am »
way to go!!  it's pretty exciting, isn't it?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 12:33:02 am »
Wait a minute, Bailey, you know full well I did not disclose where the swarm was, it was Annette's secret to share with us all on the forums.

I told Bailey and Bud that Annette caught a swarm and called me with questions, that I truly felt honored to assist, and that you won't believe the location of the swarm, but honestly I did not tell a soul, except for my wife where her first swarm was clustered.

Truly amazing, that they were hanging from an umbrella! I just love it, how cool is that Ms Annette!

Oh, btw Annette, thanks to you I turned about ten different shades of red from all that sappy talk you threw on me!

It was my pleasure to help.

Now that I've seen the pictures, you know the easiest scenario would have been to cut the string they were attached to, but I know the home owners probably wouldn't have gone for that move.

Congratulations Annette!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 12:41:16 am »
I am so thrilled for you, Annette - it's such fun to get a swarm and yours was perfect - on your signature umbrella!

Good luck and I hope they live well and prosper....

Linda T in ATlanta

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 12:45:59 am »
Oh Annette,

Congrats to you!!  So exciting, no swarms here yet!!

Hugs

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 02:05:26 am »
Congratulations Annette.

I laughed my head off on scrolling down to the first picture.  Who would have believed this would be your first one.  Clearly it was a special delivery just for you  :-D
Hope they build up quickly for you.

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 03:50:01 am »
It's like those bees knew where they were headed, LOL!  Good Job Annette!  Congratulations... and how funny is that?  I think these bees will always be the most near and dear to you after that.

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 04:45:08 am »
Good for you Annette, I know you've been wanting one for awhile, and this one was meant just for you!
 X:X

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 07:11:58 am »

Of all places an umbrella!!!!! How funny is this !!!!!!

Truly amazing, that they were hanging from an umbrella! I just love it, how cool is that Ms Annette!

Congratulations Annette!

...JP

:lau: :lau: :lau: :lau:   X:X X:X   love the pix

Hope you caught 10 more swarms

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline adgjoan

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 07:21:40 am »
Wow, Annette, did that swarm have your name all over it or what!  It never ceases to amaze me how giving of their time more experienced beekeepers are. A big "atta boy" and pat on the back goes out to JP.  I hope all your future swarms will be "umbrella swarms" ,Miss A.

Joan
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 07:37:13 am by adgjoan »

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 07:59:58 am »
Annette,
I caught a swarm of similar size last summer and it survived a long cold winter here.We saw 25 below zero at one point. keep them fed and only give them the room they need and they should do quite well.Congratulations!!

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 08:22:16 am »
Congrads Annette!!!!

I'm waiting patiently to catch my first! Got my equipment ready to rock and roll!

...DOUG

Offline MacfromNS

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 08:33:20 am »
I would think congratulations are in order to you Annette and
your secret could not have been guessed. I couldn't have been
happier if I had got it myself and hats off to JP.
The most beautiful thing is to see a person smiling.
And even more beautiful is knowing that you are the reason behind it!!!
Mac

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 09:17:00 am »
Ahh Yesss, the thrill and anxiety of a " 1st Swarm "  :-D

Congrats Annette and by the way, if you went alone, then who took the picture of you  :evil:

Offline greenismycolor

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 09:27:44 am »
You know that some things are just meant to Bee!!! My most hearty CONGRATULATIONS Ms Annette!!!!!!
Patti
Believe!

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 10:38:33 am »
Annette
I spoke with JP yesterday and he told me of your swarm and he said there was something special about it. But he wouldnt tell me what it was. On my way home I thought that how awesome it would be if it were on an umbrella like the one JP did last year and sure enough there it was today. That is too much. Congratulations on your swarm catch!!!!

Keith

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 11:32:06 am »
Now I get it  :-D

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 12:45:28 pm »
Since the 1st time I came on this board, not that long ago, I have thought of you as the parasal lady . This confirms it, good going.

Offline jojoroxx

• House Bee
  • Northern California Nature Girl
    • SoHumMushers
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 02:01:09 pm »
Very lucky and SKILLED lady! Way to go! :-D

anything