Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: muskrats  (Read 14659 times)

Offline meade kampe

• House Bee
muskrats
« on: August 02, 2010, 02:26:23 am »
My husband and son saw a pair of muskrats in the creek in the woods behind our house.  This made me nervous, as we have a pond.  My husband didn't think it was anything to worry about, until a week later.  I awoke one morning to find a dead muskrat on our front porch, compliments of our German Shepherd.  My dog can only access a corner of our pond, closest to our house- so I know the muskrat had to be close and in the pond.  How in the world do I get rid of these little beasts?  I don't know where to set up traps, my pond is an acre, and the creek bottom surrounds 2/3 of it!  Any ideas or tips, please?

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
Re: muskrats
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 06:24:16 am »
sounds like to me your dog took care of half the problem already, give him a little time he might solve the other half as well.

Keith

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 08:19:29 am »
Need to trap or shoot them, they will dig holes in the dam wall of your pond. Neighbor had them at one time, he would set the traps just under the surface of the water, can not remember what he used for bait. I do remember him using some old chain link fencing and staking it out over the dug holes, they were too big to get back through the openings in the fence. Also seems to me that he kept the grass mowed short so they could not hid as good and the hawks would help out also.

I am with Keith, give the dog a little more free range.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 11:27:52 am »
A snare works best to catch the muskrat. Place the snare in a well water travled area for the muskrat or place it in front of their hole. Check the trap daily or even twice a day. Once they become established its hard to get rid of them. 

Offline harvey

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 01:12:39 pm »
we keep a .22 sitting right beside the living room doors,  end up shooting eight or ten every year.  If you want to use traps a conibear trap is one of the best and easiest to use.  once you set them you set it right in their run.  The trap will actually kill the mushrat.  That way you arn't messing with a live one.  They are very vicious little critters.  Never reach for a trap that has a live on in it.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 09:44:17 pm »
Ya, you have to shoot them.   A .22 or a shot gun.   I have used both on them.   Wait right before dark to get them. 

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 12:14:51 am »
Let a bunch of nutria loose, they will displace the muskrats, like they did here.  :-D Bigger targets!  ;)

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 12:25:41 am »
Let a bunch of nutria loose, they will displace the muskrats, like they did here.  :-D Bigger targets!  ;)

...JP

What are nutria??

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 12:41:24 am »

...JP

What are nutria??

http://nutria.com/site5.php

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 12:44:12 am »
Nutria are big edible water rats. Also good fur.

Make sure you don't have any river otter. Your German Shepperd will have a problem. :)doak

Offline meade kampe

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 01:44:55 am »
Thanks for the feedback!  I'd love to let my shepperd get them all, because I know he'd enjoy doing it-lol.  I'm just afraid of him getting sick or injured.  Guess I'll just have to play gunner chic next week off of my back deck when I am on vacation (sigh).  Maybe I'll get lucky enough to see some Northern Lights during my muskrat irradication.  There is supposed to be better chances for my area to see them since there has been alot of recent sun storms.  Thanks, again.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 02:27:34 pm »
OH they are cute!! Thanks for the info. We don't have them around here, thank goodness.

Offline wayne

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 11:36:36 pm »
  Keep in mind they can bring $10 each in season, have great fur for crafts, and are good to eat.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 09:12:54 am »
they sold for a high 8.00 last year at the NAFA auctions.   The easiest way to catch them is to set footholds under about 3"s of water and bait with a half of apple on a stick above the water and behind the trap.  Stake the trap in a ft  or more of water so when caught the rat will drown.  I make platforms on 4ft stakes that I pound in just off shore in deep enough water.  Pound the stake until the platform is 3 " under.  Nail the apple on the stake just above the water line.  Wire the trap chain to the stake.   The rat will swim in after the apple and step into the foothold then just pull it off the platform and drown.   You dont have to hide the trap when under water just set it and lay it on the platform

Offline meade kampe

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 03:15:32 am »
Thanks for the details, Danno.  Might try it if I can tolerate the thought of drowned vermin in my drinking water......blah!

Offline patriot9878

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 10:41:18 am »
If you want to trap them you use a 110 conibear and set in the hole. But if they aren't undermining your property they really can't hurt anything.
But they are good to eat. Boil them in sage for 45 minutes take out and sprinle some flour and fry them in onions in olive oil for about 10 minutes on each side. They are the best tasting dark meat there is. I've eaten everything and nothing compares to them. They only eat roots. They are not rats. You fry potatoes and asparagus with them and you will love them.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 10:51:06 am »
If you want to trap them you use a 110 conibear and set in the hole. But if they aren't undermining your property they really can't hurt anything.
But they are good to eat. Boil them in sage for 45 minutes take out and sprinle some flour and fry them in onions in olive oil for about 10 minutes on each side. They are the best tasting dark meat there is. I've eaten everything and nothing compares to them. They only eat roots. They are not rats. You fry potatoes and asparagus with them and you will love them.
I have to agree!!!   They are soooooooo sweet

Offline Mtn. Bee

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 02:07:56 pm »
I would get a local trapper to take of the problem for you!
Also agree they are fine table fare, like the hind legs beer battered and deepfried.
Use to sell them to a Doc for eating back in my younger days!
Hugus Creek Honey Farm
"Like us on Facebook"

Offline meade kampe

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 11:20:48 pm »
My dad said to roast them on a seasoned board over a nice fire.  Then throw 'em away and eat the board-lol!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 03:53:35 pm »
 :-D