Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Inbreeding  (Read 4497 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Inbreeding
« on: June 11, 2008, 08:40:31 pm »
How do you know and avoid inbreeding when you got all the chickens from the same place? Or is it even a problem? I might dabble in trying to raise my own.

Also read something today that said the egg of the male was pointed and the female rounded. Anybody seen that? 
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: Inbreeding
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 08:59:05 pm »
If you got the chix from one of the big hatcheries there's nothing to worry about as they have THOUSANDS of chix breeding.  You can try your own but sex links & some other mix types won't breed true, you don't know what you will get. ALSO, you can get 50/50 bleep & hens so unless you plan on eating em too it's a pain!

Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 09:13:01 pm »
You can try your own but sex links & some other mix types won't breed true,

Um.. What? What do you mean sex links.....    some other mix types.....
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 11:42:02 am »
The shape of the egg has nothing what so ever to do with whether it's male or female.
As long as you have pure stock and only one kind I wouldn't worry so much.
May have an effect long term, but i wouldn't worry short time.
doak

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 12:00:58 pm »
There must be some way to tell male from female. The place I got mine.... (or rather where Gebos got them and I got them from Gebos).... the chicks hatch and they ship them out. Call them day old chicks. You can order male or female. 

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 12:25:07 pm »
It takes special training and some time to learn how to what is called "sexing" chicks when they are young.
It is done with day old chicks. The person does that and that is all he does.
The shape of an egg is determined form some fact that happens during the development of the hard shell,
as in a disturbance of the cycle of things.
doak

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 01:57:57 pm »
You can try your own but sex links & some other mix types won't breed true,

Um.. What? What do you mean sex links.....    some other mix types.....

You can order st. run, male or female chix but they only give it a 90% accuracy, even for experts there are mistakes.  I ordered 25 females, so 2.5 could be males.  The 2 I can handle..it's the .5 I wonder about!!!  :shock:  Sex links are a cross between 2 different breeds. The males & females always are different colors so it's easy to tell when they are chicks.  My blk. sex links will be predominantly black, the males would be white/black. I think the cross is rhode island red x white rock the hen must be one & the bleep must be the other don't remember which/which.  There are red sex links too, think 1 is a rhode red but don't remember the other.  If you breed 2 sex links it changes the gene ratio so they won't be true sex links & you won't be able to tell m from f when chicks.  Mine are 12-14 wks now so should be hearing the sickly crow attempts soon if I have males! Their voices have been changing from the chick peeping to clucking, it's funny to listen to. 
As Doak says, the shape of the eggs has nothing to do with it..there are some pretty wild eggs, even no shellers!  Sometimes you look & go HUH??? how in the world??? :? :?  Jody

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 02:36:00 pm »
My Father had a picture taken of his hand holding an egg within an egg. It formed a hard shell over the hard shell. :shock: He also had a double yoke hatch, one body with two heads.
I don't know what happened to the pictures. This was in the 1920's/30's
Really.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 03:40:38 pm »
Ohhh, thats cool!  What happened to the 2 headed chix?? Was it able to survive?  I've only seen the double yolkers, no shells & obscure Vincent VanGogh (sp??) shapes!   :shock: Too bad they didn't have digital back then.  Imagine how many family pics have been lost over the years, so much history.  Now we have back ups for our backups! :lol: Jody

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 04:08:04 pm »
I found this after doak mentioned sexing chicks.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/95/sexing-chicks-in-the-backyard-flock

I found this interesting,

"Years ago someone surgically placed an engagement ring in the upper portions of the oviduct and allowed the hen to form an egg (albumen and shell, no yolk) around the ring. The egg was then given to the girl in the form of a marriage proposal. The ring had no sex, but the shell was formed regardless. "

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 08:54:12 pm »
Dirty Jobs had an episode on sexing chickens.  Pretty neat.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline JoelinGA

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 11:28:01 pm »
Wow, the wife and I were talking about this today, instead of chiks it was in reference to goats though. She doesn't like the idea of us starting with just a billy and a nanny because of the inbreeding later down the line.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 12:45:25 am »
You don't want a billy....they stink worse than skunks, pee on their beards & wipe it on the does..do the Gene Simmons tounge thing all day...just disgusting.  Much better to have 2-3 does then selectively breed them to keep the gene pool unclogged!!  Besides, it's soooo cute to watch 2-3 kiddlins jump & play.  They are amazing acrobats!  Good luck  Jody

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 03:13:14 am »
Normally sexlinked chickens are definite the 1st cross only.  with my Light Brahma rooster/ Buff orpington hen crosses the 1st generation was Buff hens and Light Brahma roosters.  The second generation cross was white hens and brown/buff roosters--go figure.

If getting goats, go with the nannies only. 
Find someone with a billy who can service your does.
Trying to keep billies and nannies together means tainted milk (you taste the billy) and undue wear and tear on fences.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything