Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Member from Australia  (Read 2541 times)

Offline Stuart

• New Bee
New Member from Australia
« on: February 03, 2008, 09:20:39 pm »
Hello all, My name is Stuart. I live in Australia, Victoria, in a little country town called Kilmore. I am a beginner beekeeper. I have started with only one hive to see how l go. I have done a lot of reading, trying to learn as much as possible. l have had the hive for two weeks and have been inside once during this time. As a beginner there was so much to try and remember whilst going through the hive, with all the bees everywhere, smoking etc, that I forgot all the things I had planned to look for. I even forgot to look for the queen. So this weekend l will be doing it all again but will have a list of things on hand to check off, such finding the queen haha.
It is half way through our summer and l am concerned that the super is a bit light in honey, l was told by the person l recieved the hive from, that they took the honey in December 07, anyways I am going to join a local bee club next week and try to find a mentor and they may suggest to syrup feed.As l dont want to get caught out over Autum and Winter and loss my bees.
Thanks for letting me become a member and hope to learn alot from you all. Talk soon. Stuart.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: New Member from Australia
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 09:35:19 pm »
Welcome Stuart. Reading and studying this forum and some time suited up with a mentor will be time well spent. It is not always necessary to find the queen. It is easier to just look for for eggs and larva. I have found that I see my queens more often by accident than when I try to just look for her.

Good Luck, Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 11:15:10 pm »
Hey, welcome to beemaster, Mick and Geoff are from Australia also, have been talking with them in ventrillo, voice chat. Watch out for those salt water crocs, mate!

......JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 07:37:40 am »
If you intend to find a queen (or even if you don't) don't use more than a puff or two of smoke or you'll scare her around and she'll be running around the hive and not staying still.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Stuart

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 08:28:48 am »
Thanks guys

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 11:23:57 am »
Stuart, glad you forum this forum, welcome.  This world of beekeeping, as you are finding, is addictive.  You will learn a world of information during your visits here, ask any questions that you want, all questions will get an answer.  Have a wonderful day, welcome, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything