Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lipizzaner and other horse breeds  (Read 7359 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Lipizzaner and other horse breeds
« on: January 02, 2007, 01:01:00 am »
Not sure which forum this post should go in, so I took a wild shot and came here.

Trot and Michael were speaking about the Lipizzaner and Baroque breeds, including Andalusians, Lusitanos and Friesians.

I am not overly familiar with either of these breeds.  My gig is quarter horses.  But I do know that when I first got married my husband bought me an enormous picture book of horses, a book that one could never believe that could have images of horses such as these.  Maybe some of these images bear the breeds of Lipizzaner, Baroque, Adulasians, lusitanos and Friesians.  The stallions in the pictures bring your breath to a halt.  The pictures of the mares giving birth to their foals would leave you in awe.

I am a horse lover, but having done my time with the effort required to give these beasts their safe presence in my life has gone by the wayside.  In the tune of about 5 years now.  When my girls left their horsies to carry on to marriage and children, we looked afte their "gifts" for many years, but we no longer wished to accept nor take care of these gifts, the horses have carried on, as did our girls.  All the horses went to young adults that would love them to the very end, and then forever more.

I miss the horses, my girls miss their horses.  The beautiful deep breath that these ladies would take while stuffing their muzzles deep into the grass and hay in winter, their sweet breath upon my face as they would nuzzle my face and exhale this wonderous scent.  Those were the days.  I loved the blowing sound the mares would make deep through their nostrils when they sensed a danger, the whinney when they saw me bring their oats, the crunch, crunch, crunch as they mashed the oats to bring on even a sweeter smell than that of the grass that they grazed on.  Oh memories.....may they never be gone. Awesome and beautiful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
Re: Lipizzaner and other horse breeds
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 04:56:21 pm »
i just love a movie with denzel washington, on some submarine, he and the general are arguing, well i don't know the tittle of the movie, but during the conversation general said to denzel: "you know, the best horses, lipizzaners come from Spain" and denzel quiclky and sharply replied "no general, they come from Portugal"

while watching these scene i did not know what to do, to LOL or to cry my guts out?!?!?!?!

anyways, although austrians/Italians/(some say even the Spains) are trying to steal them from us....they are rightfully ours. they are even on our new Euro coin for 20 cents
there's even a poem which also mentions
"this is why wien cesar talked,
French with cuning diplomats,
Italian to beautiful princesses,
Spanish with gods,
german to unschooled workers
with horses, they talked Slovene
"
This is my translation, it's quite literal, only the "worker" is...kind of a slavem i don't know the english term

just a few days ago, i heard why all grown up
 lipizzaners are white, they actually turn grey very young.

If anyone is interested
http://www.lipica.org/?lng=eng

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 01:00:03 am »
What color is a white horse? 
No it's not white.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 01:17:28 am »
gray
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 01:20:25 am »
seems i remember some dramatic rescues of those horses during ww1 and ww2.  one of the documentary channels did something on it a long time ago. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 09:40:22 am »
Gray, white horses are grays.  Now, we had a beautiful dark dapple grey Arabian, she was so dark and pretty when we first got her, my beautiful little Sheba.  We had her for many years, as she aged, her dark beautiful dapples showly faded too, she, by the time of her demise, was completely white (gray), our pretty little Sheba no longer had those beautiful dark dapples that would take your breath away, she aged to a non-dappled old girl.   Don't ask me where the dapples went, even her legs, almost up to her elbows were very dark.  She was a beauty nonetheless.

Great day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 09:44:18 am »
Mici, looked at the site thanks, beautiful.  I saw that movie with Denzel too, can't recall name either.  Isn't that cool that the Lippizaner is on your coin?  Great day.  Cindi

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 11:30:44 am »
are you guys talking about "crimson tide"?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 11:31:58 am »
Kathy, right on!!!!  That was the movie.  Great show for sure.  Great day. Cindi

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 11:34:10 am »
are you guys talking about "crimson tide"?

i'm not sure, i just remember, a submarine, Denzel is a..secondary CO or something, the submarine goes deaf, the general who is...i'd say famous for his general parts-read, plays in many movies as a general of some kind. anyway, he want's to kick russian soil with nukes, Denzel is against it...the usual stuff, good vs. evil

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 11:36:22 am »
Mici, Kathy is right, Crimson Tide.  Great day.  Cindi

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 03:57:35 pm »
-----
Capt. Frank Ramsey: From Portugal, the Lippizaner stallions, the most highly trained horses in the world--they're all white.
Lt. Cmdr. Hunter: Yes, sir.
Capt. Frank Ramsey: "Yes, sir," you're aware they're all white? Or, "yes, sir," you're seen them?
Lt. Cmdr. Hunter: Yes, sir, I've seen them. Yes, sir, I'm aware they're all white. They're not from Portugal, they're from Spain. And, at birth they're not white, they're black . . . sir.
 ;)one of my favorite movies

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 09:41:33 pm »
Isn't it a funny thing.  I think that somewhere inthe cobwebs of my mind, I remember that all greys are born as a black foal.  The white only comes when get a little older.  Correct anyone?  Great day.

I think that I am going to watch Crimson Tide again, it was a great movie for sure.  Cindi

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 10:51:50 pm »
>Correct anyone?

Yes they are born white.  Technically to be white a horse would have to have white skin and only in recent years has any horse been bred to have white skin.  A gray has black skin and white hair.  A Lippizaner is born black and turns gray as it gets older.  Of course he was incorrect about their location.  They're decendants from Spanish horses (Andalusians and Barbs) and now they are all over the world.  But, of course they were bred in Lipizza in Slovenia.

In Portugal the Iberian horse is called a Lusitano.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 11:02:27 pm »
Michael, now thanks.  That is some good information about the colour of the skin. I like to have correct information. This is funny about our little pittie.

She is heavily marked with black spots and blankets.  WHen we she a little tiny puppy, she was almost white from head to toe, except for a little black spot on her face.  She is much cuter with the black markings that cover her heavily  now.  Great day.  Cindi

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 02:48:23 pm »
since we are talking about gray horses, the arabian horse world where I am from (had a barn full at one time) they spell the color gray as "grey"  which i still to this day spell grey wrong  ;)

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 07:15:36 pm »
Both gray and grey are correct spellings.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 09:20:40 pm »
Grey is just the British spelling, like "centre" and "colour" and "theatre"
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 09:49:01 pm »
British spelling and American spelling.  When  I worked as a research word processor we used the British spelling for everything.  Even now when I see U.S. ways of spelling things it is foreign to me.  I can't get the British way out of my mind.  Best of a best day. Cincdi

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2007, 11:56:43 am »
I read a lot of British authors growing up (and still do) so the American spelling always looks wrong to me too.  I still use the British spellings often if I don't have a spell checker point them out.
-------------------