Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: what to use for syrup pump?  (Read 3186 times)

Offline wouldliketobee

• House Bee
what to use for syrup pump?
« on: October 16, 2011, 10:26:47 pm »
I was wondering if anyone out there has rigged up a pump to fill hive top feeders , normally I would just lift up buckets and dump in , but sometimes my back goes out , and recently I had bilateral hernia surgery so now I'm on a 15lb restriction for 6 weeks and I haven't had much luck getting help to lift them for me, I only have three hives but a pump would be handy at times like these, would a 12 volt farm sprayer pump work to pump syrup?  I would appreciate any ideas , otherwise I will use 9 - 1 gallon buckets to put syrup into the 3 -3 gallon feeders.

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
Re: what to use for syrup pump?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 10:52:33 pm »
I dont think it will work as 2.1 is fairly thick.  You can try it and check amp draw, but there made for water density,  I use a hand crank oil/fuel pump for 55gal barrels I bought from a farm supplier (farm & family) I use for corn syrup.  I can fill a 5 gal bucket in 3 mins.
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 12:36:44 am »
You can use a oil drum pump from your local petroleum distributor, its hand operated fairly slow but designed for thick liquids and not heavy.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 01:07:12 am »
maybe dont try and feed them all at once -feed one -the next day feed another
like you say its only three hives-just lightin up the work load so you dont over do it-
 it may even be good exercise -easy dose it --RDY-B

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 03:47:32 am »
sir, you have THREE HIVES.  Take one gallon at a time, three times.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 05:32:32 am »
I  have taken a garden sprayer (new, never seen pesticides) and removed the nozzle to let it free flow and used that, but it does get gummed up and have to be cleaned from time to time.  It's not TOO bad to clean if you pump some hot water through it, but I seldom bother to use it anymore with the bottom board feeders.  I just pour it in and since they are low to the ground I don't have to lift it very far.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 12:03:15 pm »
I’m with bee-nuts on this one.  Seems like the simplest idea to me and less mess to clean up.

Offline wouldliketobee

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 06:38:42 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions ,I had my brother fill the feeders for me , I'll be glad when I can lift more than 15lbs, everything I seem to enjoy doing requires lifting much more than that , I may still rig up something in the future that I can mix 10 gallons of syrup in then pump it to hives for now it is 3,  5 gallon buckets.

Offline tonyp

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 07:09:56 pm »
I use old milk crates. They hold 4-1gallon jugs. Just pull out one jug at a time. You have to make sure the syrup is mixed well or the sugar will settle in the bottom and can be hard to get out.

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 10:04:21 pm »
Gravity still works last I heard. A tank set up on a truck fills them pretty dang fast.  :-D