Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Making Sugar Syrup or straight corn syrup  (Read 1781 times)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
Making Sugar Syrup or straight corn syrup
« on: July 09, 2011, 11:22:32 pm »
i found a source to get corn syrup  for 18.95 for 5 gal. it seems cheaper to use corn syrup then sugar doest it?
any of u use corn syrup?

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
Re: Making Sugar Syrup or straight corn syrup
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 11:32:03 pm »
I have yet to find corn syrup that bees like better than sugar water. I placed a jar of both on a few hives to experiment. They will drink 3 jars of sugar water to one of corn syrup. I am not a believer. My corn syrup typically solidifies in the bottom of the jar it sits there so long! Maybe someone else has had more luck!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 09:18:29 am »
Commercial beeks by corn sugar by the tanker load.  Check the bee suppliers for prices.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 05:20:17 pm »
I have yet to find corn syrup that bees like better than sugar water. I placed a jar of both on a few hives to experiment. They will drink 3 jars of sugar water to one of corn syrup. I am not a believer. My corn syrup typically solidifies in the bottom of the jar it sits there so long! Maybe someone else has had more luck!

believe or not, cane sugar is  better to bees than corn syrup.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 05:30:03 pm »
There is a controversy about feeding HFCS. Some think it goes through a change in the hot storage tanks that is harmful to the bees.

My mentor has used it exclusively for years. 18.95 for five gals ---- I think you would have to change that to a price per pound to compare. Not sure what HFCS is running now per lb.
John 3:16

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 02:02:00 pm »
You can buy a 25lb bag of sugar at Wal-Mart for around 13 to 15 dollars. That will easily make 20 quarts of 1:1 Sugar Syrup, which is 5 gallons. Sugar Syrup is cheaper by far, but it takes more work and time.

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 10:20:22 pm »
Those that feed corn syrup cut it, I believe 25-30 percent.
Go to a commercial bee forum and get the correct amount, from actual people who use HFCS !!

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

anything