Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bee behavior  (Read 2675 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
bee behavior
« on: May 31, 2007, 09:23:58 pm »
is there a reason the many bees would be hovering around the hive, all facing the hive.  they do not seem agitated.  i see no sign of robbing.  they are around all sides and the top of the hive.  my first thought was that it was a new hatching.  second thought, robbing.  it's warm, but they have both a top and bottom enterance...small enough to guard on top.

the other hive is not doing the same.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Re: bee behavior
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 09:40:21 pm »
Could they be the young bees making orientation flights?
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline kevinmt

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 09:42:39 pm »
Been wondering the same thing here  Bees from 1 of my hives have been doing the same thing   While the other hasnt been

Offline super dave

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 09:45:47 pm »
mine are doing the same -- im just wondering if they are are all just taking turns for the perfect landing-- mine seem to do this around 3-4pm every day hmmmm
lets throw it in the air and see which  way it splatters

Offline kevinmt

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 09:48:34 pm »
Yep seems to happen about 3-4pm

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 09:59:38 pm »
5 pm pacific  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 10:51:51 pm »
If you take close notice, they  come out, crawl up the front, close to the top of the bottom deep, fly off, up and down side to side, they back off a little and repeat and make a bigger space each time till they get far back and up. They are oreintating to their area. The difference between this and robbing is theres no fighting. You will see a few crash into one another now and then, but then go their merry way.
What Moonshae said.
doak

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 11:15:17 pm »
is there any relationship between the number of new foragers sent out and the number of brood hatching, or is it simply done by amount of time in hive?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 01:48:27 am »
It is sorta both.  In a swarm older bees may drop back and do things a younger bee maight be expected to do and visa versa, it depends on the ratio of old bees to new bees.
Once the hive becomes established and there are sufficient nurse bees to look after the chores inside the hive it is more age dependent on what task is being done with the older bees dedicating themselves to foraging.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 02:16:34 am »
Also the new forger bees are replacing the die off. The overall number is rising untill summer soltice, If everything is going ok. In my area our build  up needs to be here by the 15th to 20th of april. My main nector flow is from then till through the kudzu bloom, unless I wanted to move them, whitch I don't. Then the queen slowly decresses the number of eggs each day till she completly quits for a short time in Dec. and early Jan. At which time she starts back slowly increasing as the days get longer. So swarm season is not over, till almost the last of june.
Most pros say 80% of swarms come spring with 20% in late summer/early fall.
A swarm in may is worth a load of hay
A swarm in june is worth a silver spoon
A swarm in july isn't worth a fly.
old saying.
 My Bit.
doak

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 11:40:19 am »
this is my problem child hive.  everything they do makes me wonder what they are (not) up to.  our main flow does not start until may, then a break, then blackberries then not much for the rest of the year.  fireweed, if you are lucky.  there is stuff going all summer, but nothing like the berries.  i have some black locust and i thought the bees would like it, but they seem to ignore it in favor of the wild roses.

anyway, thanks all for the answers.  i guess i have just missed this in the past.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 11:45:04 am »
is sounds like orientation flight to me, they just building up the population for the flowand getting ready for when they are foragers, young bee's got to learn where they live ;)
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

anything