Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: should comb be replaced?  (Read 2119 times)

Offline drmwarden

• New Bee
should comb be replaced?
« on: May 04, 2005, 12:35:56 pm »
I wasn't sure from part of Finsy's response to my last question.  Some of my hive body frames are several years old and the comb is dark brown.  Will the queen use this for laying eggs?  Should I periodically be removing the old comb from the frames and installing new foundations?  It seems wasteful to make the bees start from scratch, but if that's what works best I will do it.

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
should comb be replaced?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 12:59:54 pm »
More theories on  this.   I have seen queens use old comb -- the pattern gets a little spotty becuase the cells get puilt up for old bee parts the more use they get.  

A good rule of thumb is tp replace two frames in each deep each year with new.  

or when the comb is no longer translucent.

Do I follow my own rule of thumb - No.
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline SherryL

• House Bee
should comb be replaced?
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 02:54:32 pm »
I thought I read something at one time about queens prefering dark comb to new - or am I confusing that with something else?

sherry

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
should comb be replaced?
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 03:32:12 pm »
I never use color as an indication when culling comb.  The bees are a better judge of comb acceptability than I.  As long as there is not an extensive amount of drone comb,  I leave it alone.  The older/darker comb is much stronger and less prone to damage when manipulated.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison