Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Most Profitable Part of Beekeeping Is?  (Read 27066 times)

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
Oh yea
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2007, 01:04:24 pm »
Hey Robo,

I just ordered one of the BeeMax poystyrene hives. They look to me like such a good idea, esp. here where the temps. from season to season vary here from +40°C to -40°C

How do you like yours??

cheers

peter

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Most Profitable Part of Beekeeping Is?
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2007, 01:13:19 pm »
>How do you like yours??

If they made them in eight frame I'd use them more.  I tried to use them to overwinter "nucs" (ten frame medium hives) and the condensation wasn't so great.  On the other hand a friend near here has some in a full blown three box medium hive and they were ready to split in March.

If only they made them in eight frame boxes...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Oh yea
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2007, 11:40:41 am »
Hey Robo,

How do you like yours??

Sorry Peter, missed this post.

I just started with them this Spring, so have no winter experience yet.  So far, I have really no major complaints about them,  I was skeptical at first, but decided to give them a try on Finsky's advise.  Painting was a pain until I started spraying instead of brushing.  I do notice more condensation as Michael mentioned.  I have a couple that I am using for double 5 frame nucs for this winter.  I have upper entrances and the capability to heat if needed. 

On a positive note, I am really pleased with the frame rest design,  they allow the bees to move under the frame tabs, so no smooshing bees.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
BeeMax Styro Hives
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2007, 12:57:31 pm »
Hey Robo,

Thnx for reply.

As per my std. M.O. I agonized over the price ($280-300) shipping and taxes in but really fell for the insulating idea, esp. important here I think w/our 90°F summers and not unheard of -40°F spells in winter and decided to make my own 10 frame version (as M.B.post) using Dadent style frames but slightly modified as I subtracted 1/8 in. off the 'thickness' for S.C. regression.

Since you've had some experience with these and run a few would it be possible to get a few close up pics of the best points like the aforementioned frame lip/rest and any other 'high point'??

I am going to do the same as my horizontal hive which is a 1/4in ply skin w/1-1/2in styro lining for insulation. I was planning on dadoing out a 1-1/2 in wood strip on the top for a frame rest and leaving the outer skin 1/4in. 'proud' and recess the bottom 1/4in. so they 'lock' together.

I have a similarly built/insulated TBH and identical 3/4in. solid wood one to compare to the the insulated one, I didn't have it employed in the hottest part of summer as it is stocked w/a summer chimney removal, but especially in the fall seems that the ladies work longer and start earlier as I suspect the core temp. to be more constant. They also kicked out the drones 2 wks later which I take to support that hypotenuse....... but I've been wrong before    lol     I have both side by each in the city and even tho there has been a few 'soft' frosts and one (-5°C) hardish one they are still (both) pounding back the pollen and I'd suspect nectar. Country flowers have been gone for almost a month now with goldenrod and asters being the last.

Now busy making frame parts for I was anticipating 2 deeps for the nest and 4 meds. for the supers per hive. Do you think that would be sufficient??

The hard/long part is making all the jigs for the small ware but once done will carefully label and store together so the next one will be quite a bit easier and much faster.

Been taking pictures as I go and plan to add a 'D.I.Y.' page to the 'ooptecTBH' website as I cut down some surplus 1 X 6's for the Dadent Frames and figure the rest of the matl's will be somewhere in the $50-60 range.

$300 for pre-made is 60 pint jars or 80 lbs.of honey sales lost. Not that I'm doing it for a living but so far managed for O.P. to support hobby and I like it that way    lol

thnx
cheers 

peter

Offline utahbeekeeper

• House Bee
    • Millcreek Valley Farm
Re: Most Profitable Part of Beekeeping Is?
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2007, 05:13:21 pm »
For my neighbor, UtahBees . . . . thie is an old thread I know.  My experience in Northern Utah is that premium raw honey sells very well.  As I have underscored on my web page, I sell the old fashioned look, gussied up in mason jars with a chunck of comb in the wide mouth pints.  Those are all but sold out at $8.00 per, and the buyers get a reusable canning jar.  My quarts sold out at $14.00.  It will take me 2 more seasons to see black, but I have everything . . . 9 frame radial and all the rest.  Until I retire, I will enjoy selling my honey for top dollar around town, with an occasional online order.  I wish I had youth on my side like you do . . . . I'd try making and selling nucs.  Bee well . . . lets talk sometime.  JP
Pleasant words are like an honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones.  Prov 16:24

anything