Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Warre hive experiences  (Read 73425 times)

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: Warre hive experiences
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2008, 10:25:50 pm »
3) It's put up or shut up time again: show us in any orthodox beek manual or reference that "under-supering" is common, advantageous, or preferred to the unnatural but commonest top-supering practice. If under-supering is practiced, exactly which problem is it supposed to solve? Why would top-supering be performed at all then?
This practice has served me well in the production of Comb Honey-there are other techniques that involve a rotation of suppers -but it is just a variation of bottom supering-(source HONEY IN THE COMB by EUGENE E KILLION)-I dont know much about warre hives-but it sounds like keeping bees in a gum log - ;)  8-) RDY-B

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2008, 11:33:56 pm »
What a thread.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2008, 04:37:41 am »
I used to know several beekeepers who had recycled old used comforters from the bedroom into inner quilts for the tops of their hives back in the 50's & 60's.  I can name three off the top of my head, Albert Girsch, Clayton Turnipseed, and Harold Lange.  I earned a bit from all three of those men, they were the respected experts in Western Washington back then,  2 served as my mentors (Girsch and Turnipseed) and the term inner cover and quilt is still used interchangabley by some beekeepers, like myself.  I might mention that all three started beekeeping prior or just after the turn of the 19th into the 20th century, as each had over 50 years of beekeeping experience, individually, when I met them in the 50's.

IMO, someone is trying to be contenious over terms and systems they themselves don't fully understand.
Let's try to be a bit more civilized.
Many a self-proclaimed expert as lots of book learning but insufficient field experience.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2008, 09:00:34 am »
Beesource Boil over :-x
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2008, 09:05:27 am »

Nah,...just winter bee fever. Nothing wrong with a good debate. :-D

BTW, What's "beesource" anyway?? :roll:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2008, 10:08:41 am »
I actually enjoy opening up my hives.  I enjoy pulling a big ol' frame of bar-to-bar brood, I enjoy finding the queen, the big fat honey dripping combs.

I am also aware that every time I open the hive this causes them some "distress", and while that may bother me a bit, quite frankly my enjoyment of the experience trumps their bit of "distress".  If that makes me a sadist, then just call me "Sadie"!!

With a little bit of pampering they all made it through last winter and gave me a nice surplus, and I consider that a success (unlike the all natural bees in the log that we cut down in the hopes that they'd make it).   If you disapprove of my management style, that is nice, since I don't care.

If all these other types of hives are so wonderful, and the answer to all our problems and diseases, then I can't but wonder why the Langstroth hive is so popular and widely used?  Perhaps because it is the best overall hive for the most situations?  No....that can't be it!!!  But does that mean all the other hive types are bad?

With so many personality types and successful management styles out there and different types of hives that work for different people, to say that there is only one way to do things or that the other ways are wrong is more than a little bit arrogant.

Rick
Rick

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2008, 10:13:54 am »
I'll ask readers and the Moderator to please note that I have presented my arguments and mild defenses in non-accusatory, non-confrontational phraseology. If, despite my contrition and toned-down presentation of ideas and challenges, what I write still be somehow inconsistent with the Forum bylaws, or worse, unpalatable to those of greater standing who hold more conventional views, then fine, I'll accept banishment and bow out. 
As you where told via PM,  you are more than welcome to express your opinions and thoughts.  There is no hidden agenda here at Beemaster.  Freely sharing of information is a great thing and makes us think.  Personal attacks and calling others opinions crap will not be tolerated.  We run a family-friendly forum and don't expect everyone to agree.  We do expect members to respect others right to their opinion so that members feel free to express them.   If members don't express their opinions for fear of being attacked, we all loose.  

Nobody's message or views are important enough to be above our rules.  If you can continue expressing your views without personally attacking others and respect others right to different views,  you will not be banned.   If you can not stay within the rules, you will end up getting banned, and it will not be because of your unconventional views although we have had others claim that before who thought their message was above our rules.  I think most here believe there is a lot of merit to some of the less conventional methods of beekeeping, unfortunately it seems that a lot of the people promoting them have taken on a militant approach and are doing more harm than good.  I'm hoping you are not one of them.  We really do appreciate the debate,  but it needs to be kept civil.

I was of course taken to task by this forum's omniscient Moderator about my apparently injudicious comments.
Sarcasm is not going to get you anywhere.   Yes, perhaps we do run a tighter forum than others, but our members truly appreciate it.  Constant fighting and bickering gets old rather quickly and members move on.  We attribute our low turnover rate and family environment to the enforcement of our bi-laws.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2008, 07:27:11 pm »
I was of course taken to task by this forum's omniscient Moderator about my apparently injudicious comments.

I didn't see any need for this sarcasm either, sorry, no offence, but sarcasm is so unnecessary, and spreads ugly feelings.  No place for ugly feelings, not needed, not wanted.  Our forum is  a place of peace, that is one of the reasons that I have this love of this place in time, our forum......sometimes, I must put in my two cents.  Have a wonderful and great day and life, health.  Cindi
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 10:51:34 am by Cindi »
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2008, 09:32:04 am »
I wanted to chime in here too - Atemp2 likes to say how he bends over backward to CALM HIS JETS to appease the moderators here, I like a member with passion, but if you can't keep your opions to STATEMENTS to prove your views, and choose to tear down other's opinions instead, well then you aren't doing a good job of calming anything here.

I like the influx we have had from other forums lately, it is a great thing to see happen, but I'm rewriting the bylaws in simpler commentary to cover all issues. I'll just say the one thing about your "Passion" and that is sharing it does not mean discounting or condeming other member opinions. And if you feel the need to CALM YOUR JETS, then you have been away from civilization too long and maybe need a half-way house forum before posting here.

If you can find the time to post long posts, and still can't find the time to add your location to your profile, it just tells me much of what you do is wait in the corners looking for confrontation - I hope I am wrong, but I usually see through people who come here with an agenda (which often is to provoke another members who moved from other forums) so they act up here.

Luckily, no one is taking your bait and if this is your good behaviour - then I guess the mods will just have to keep their eyes on you longer than most new members. Don't post jabs and zingers at the mod staff or members here, you surely will be booted - just play nice, get your head out of the jungle and rejoin civilization, we have cars now, airplanes, atomic clocks - all kinds of neat stuff here in the 21st century - being nice should come a lot easier for all of us, since the only hunting you REALLY need to do is shop for bargains at different store's meat departments, not hunt fellow members for food.

Yeah, I'm the guy who takes NO CRAP, you want to point a finger here, point it at me!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 04:10:45 pm by beemaster »
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2008, 09:59:54 am »
Atemp2 the mods here have a hard job keeping the Beemaster form a FRIENDLY place. And I thank them for that. They keep it safe for every one here even for you so a little respect for other's will go a long way.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline 1of6

• House Bee
  • Always learning...
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2008, 10:49:00 am »

Nah,...just winter bee fever. Nothing wrong with a good debate. :-D

BTW, What's "beesource" anyway?? :roll:

I agree with all of what Irwin says, and part of what Bjorn says.  I'll further qualify it by saying that I'm extremely pleased that we have Bjorn over here.

Offline Larry

• New Bee
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2009, 10:28:16 am »
Wow! It really does look like a good fight brewing. ;)

WOW! Bjorne, You started out innocent like you needed advice about Warre hives and then you steadily condemmed them.

Bernard Huevel from Germany runs Abbe Warre hives with mites for years with no treatments at all. Everything you said on this thread can't be opinion you have no basis to form one as you said you were only thinking of building one. You painfully obviously did NO research at all Bernard Huevel and David Heaf are experienced experts and have been running Abbe Warre hives with mites and NO treatments for many years. You can google Bernard and talk to him he speaks fluent English and is a personal friend of mine. I suggest you speak with him and put out educated information instead of guesses for the sake of all the new beeks that read this and look to you as an experienced beekeeper, you are not doing them any justice!

For the record, i would like to correct the misinformation put out by Bjorne.

There are advantages and downfalls to every hive design you have to pick the design that you are comfortable with in your life style. Please do not take the advice of one person I encourage you all to try everything especially in this day and age wherer building these interesting hives is so easy for even thoes with minimal carpentry skills.

try a warre for yourself you may be pleasently suprised!

Thanks everyone
God Bless

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2009, 11:28:58 am »
Hopelessly loss Larry bought himself a bannishment, I don't understadn people migrating from elsewhere with grudges that they think they will "finish" on our forum. It will not happen.

For what it is worth, if you wish to play the game of trashing a member you fought with elsewhere, don't start out by telling us how that person is wrong - try telling you you believe your version or preception of something is better, even more correct. You could in theory hide here quite well, debating posts and not attacking others and likely we'd never know your intention - but generally speaking, those who come here for battle do not have the patience or intellegence to wait and play their game like chess, the choose to come riding full gallop with weapon drawn.

Don't sit there in the HOPELESSLY LOST category either, that doesn't fly past 5 or 6 posts with me, unless you have no obvious agenda and haven't been asked to add your location to the profile.

We have said this many times: members here are judged on how they behave here. Don't hunt down someone (especially in waves to appear that you are unique in your prejudgement of someone you've had dealings with) that is as obvious as a band of attackers entering the forum entering the forum one at a time, trying to give the effect that they are not a gang of thugs - sorry thugs, you fool no one.

Anyone coming in here with the single purpose to discredit any member here, has an agenda and will be banned immediately. If you wish to debate someones methods you have dealth with in harsher tones elsewhere, then debate them - don't condemn anyone here for the way they keep bees, what they believe in or how the represent themselve.

If you don't like the way someone posts something, complain using the REPORT TO THE MODERATORS button available on EVERY post and reply. Standing your ground and drawing a line in the sand to try and degrade another member is your quickest way out the door.

I'm very surprised at the members from one particular forum, they in no way represent the other forum UNLESS they are mods or admins themselves coming here, which I hope is NEVER the case. But members running into battle with swords held high trying to strike at a member here is FUTILE - stay where you are and don't waste your time or energy. Gong home with a failed attack, seems to bring others up to bat who think they can do a better job - save your energy, your games do not work here.

EVERY MEMBER in good standing here expects an enjoyable place to post, and never should fear abrasive replies to their post. I hope those who join for the sake of starting trouble here take back "Home with them" that they accomplished nothing, nor will they - the only one who can hurt a member's reputation here is the member him/herself.

We have the abilty to search by IP address the people who wish to join our forum, rather than have an open door policy, we choose to not use it. For the simple fact, who you are elsewhere doesn't mean who you can be here. We choose to not prejudge anyone. But if need be, I'll shut down the open door, track IPs, find out who is who and where (if anywhere) they belonged before and what (if any agenda) they may have is and reject them before they even get in the door.

Just as easily, we can redirect any members post to a safe place where it can be read BEFORE posting in the targetted forum - none of this wasted time do we choose to use, we have dozens of features that are nearly mind numbing from a member's prospective which we could use - instead, we give everyone the benefit to be a responcible social member and allow them to find a friendly place, getting out of the mud and snake pits they currently abide in.

I'd rather let the members see first hand what a WILD WEST forum creates, then when they have issues with our censorship, they see our way is by far the lesser of two options.

I always like to let members know stuff a taste at a time of what is happening and why. Often for security reasons, the neater features - the real power horses of the forum software are kept secret and must remain so - but letting you know that angry people with grudges aren't usually that smart to start with is NOT a secret, they expose themselves like a homeless man peeing on the sidewalk, every time.

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2009, 12:21:38 pm »
Thank you john.

In the interest of everyone here, and the reality that many read the last few posts, to see what caused one post or another, let me comment on what I have previously stated in this thread....

True...I do not have a Warre hive.

True...I have observed a Warre and have talked in depth about them.

True...I agree with Warre views on hive scent (Only need to discuss painting queens to figure that out)

True...I agree with warre on trapped heat (I have stated many times my views on trapped heat, and why I think top entrances are bad)

True...I agree with his views on limited hive volume for winter. (and have been beat up many times for expressing my opinion that bees do in fact heat up a hive and seek these benefits in looking for a swarm site, etc.)

True...I think Warre had many positive techniques and observations I agree with. And I think that many could benefit from understanding what Warre was saying. Many of these same points can be used or assimulated into other hive types.

But.... It is also true....

I do not agree that this is the one "true" "natural" way of keeping bees that some aggressively promote. There are many successful beekeepers out there.

I do not agree that opening a hive is as detrimental when it's 90 degrees outside, and one must cringe in fear as you open a hive, thinking great damage is being done.

I do not agree that constant undersupering, although valid in that it should suppress swarming, also can be called natural for this fact alone in defining a warre hive. Feral colonies do not have beekeepers supering ANYTIME, and by doing so, you already are not allowing the bees to supercede the queen as often as they perhaps would, thus not benefitting fully to what nature has shown us.

I do not need to have ten years experience to talk about the principles and observations Warre wrote about. As I said, Warre had many observations I clearly agree with. But he was still a beekeeper, viewing techniques and strategies without SHB, v-mites, and many of todays problems. And this idea of opening the hive one time per year, or damage will happen, is something I will not promote. Warre was a beekeeper, and probably made faults just as many other beekeepers did, and proven years later to be wrong. He was not a God!

I did not want to fight over, or debate about a Warre hive. If I wanted that, I could of gone to another site. I asked here, to get a viewpoint, some input, and some feedback from perhaps those that have warre hives, and are not radical beekeepers who promote one style of beekeeping. If that also involves discussing my view, compared to your view, and debating the points involved, that's what a discussion is all about many times.

I love TBH's. And yet, just yesterday I had a phone discussion with another about the pitfalls and negative aspects of TBH keeping. And that is what I will do with Warre hives also. There are good concepts, and bad, about warre hives. To only promote only the positive, without question, with blinders on, is not what we need. We need honest input across the board. The problem, whether about Warre, smallcell, or anything else, if you talk about both positive and negative aspects of any type beekeeping, your seen as an attacker, not really on a practical side of things, but from a personal standpoint, from those that can only agree with keeping bees one way, without respect or wiggle room to not just acknowledge faults of beekeeping in general, but their favored way of self-annoited and biased ways. (how long was that sentence anyways  :-D )

Not sure what misinformation Larry was talking about. He only goes on to mention about keeping different hives, and that with all types of hives and styles of beekeeping, there are pro and cons. Something I have said many times over. So I agree with Larry afterall. But I bet I could not talk about both pro and con issues about Warre hives at a few other sites... maybe when   :flyingpig:     That's why I love it here.  :-D

Anyways, sorry for any ruffled feathers.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2009, 12:47:06 pm »
In the LARRY incident Bjorn, you are actually  NOT the issue - he is a banned member from some time ago here, making his way back here and trying to throw us off his tracks, appearing to start a tussle with you, appearing to come from somewhere he did not.

If the truth is out there, our Mods will find it - you must have been a popular fellow in your day, as to be used as a target by a guy who likely had little previous dealings with you, but felt you a good target to go after, thus covering his tracks and not exposing his real intentions - lol.

I am so glad you found a home here, many of your previous run-ins elsewhere find it "doing battle with the Black Knight" and they come across great lands carrying their lances into battle. This silly parody has some truth to it, but Larry just changed enough info to set himself up, his banning had little to do with you, and although it is nice you explain your thoughts on the topic here - fear not, this vile creature had been banned long ago, only to slither back in here from some other rock. You were just an excuse for him to distract us from his real intentions.

The saying a bad penny that keeps turning up is often true, the funny thing is LINCOLN'S FACE is always still on the penny and we recognise them every time, although sometimes it take a bit to sort through the pennies :)

You can count on level headed and non combative discussions on Warre and Mason, etc. Speaking of which, not sure if you noticed, I midified the TOPBAR FORUM to add these other hiving systems. Hoping to expand as always and it seems interesting to me, honestly I have no experience with either, so having their own forum MAY make for lively, fun and enlightening conversation - anything rough and tumble knows what happens - and it isn't the members here missing the be friendly and agree to disagree ideals, it is the HOPELESSLY LOST people who are heart to try and drop a smart bomb, only problem of course - they tend to lack the smarts and poorly blend in long enough to surprise anyone when all of a sudden they disappear.

Off to bed here, jet lag from odd work hours is getting to me, it's nappy time - peace.

Offline atemp2

• New Bee
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2009, 09:55:02 pm »
Well, as Freud once quipped, "Sometimes a cigar is only a cigar."

When I wrote "omniscient Moderator" I was not being (intentionally) sarcastic, or even facetious. It was a compliment, a tip of the hat to acknowledge the time and effort of a patient guy who has enough on his plate moderating this forum.

If I made comments objectionable to others here and to the OM, this is the last time I'll apologise: Sorry. I'll strive to keep it to a low simmer at most in future.

Moving on, my quartet of 3-box Warré hives is almost complete; just a few more screws to turn, another coat of finish, and some distinctive art to paint. Let 'em outgas for a few months before loading them up out in the orchard. Pictures will be uploaded somewhere when they're presentable.
---------------
“Never ask who's right. Start out by asking what is right. And you find that out by listening to dissenting, disagreeing opinions.” — Peter Drucker

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2009, 11:38:14 am »
Only thing this Omniscient Moderator wants is you to take your enthusiasm level down from a 8 to a 4, just post twice as much and it burns as many calories.

Don't make issues out of anything, ONCE you have fully explained YOUR VERSION - once you've ran out of material, let a post die. IF you need to express "Picaso Like" Excitement, go paint a picture while your posting, it may help take the edge off - no to forget caffiene for a while, nasty headaches when detoxing lasts about 4 days.

But BOILING VESSELS need to VENT - we do it respectfully and NOT while trying to bait a subject and see who bites, either.

His Exellence Humble Bows to the Masses as he exits the tall marble pillers into the Great Beemaster Dynasty Palace.

Offline StevenSlaughter

• New Bee
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2009, 10:24:24 pm »
Hello All.

I have not been able to start beekeeping...yet. But I have been getting very interested, have read several books, lots of info online, have taken an intro class, and am close to diving in. I am also a public school teacher here in Chicago. Not sure if I'd be allowed to do this at school, but I'd love to. (I'd LOVE an observation hive in my classroom, though a local professional beekeeper said that these often result in swarms since they are soon outgrown; instead, he recommended a regular hive with a portable observation case to tote around a couple of frames into classrooms from time-to-time.) But that is another thread, and I'll start that elsewhere.

I've just discovered the Warre hive, and some of its aspects appeal to me. One is that finding a place to set up a hive might be difficult for me (if I can't do it on a rooftop at school) here in my tiny city backyard. It was a stretch to get my wife on board with city chickens, but bees are even harder, given our 25 x 35' backyard and three kids. My parents have a place in Wisconsin with lots of acres, and the less-frequent need to open them up would allow me to set up a few up there.

Anyway, this is a very interesting (and spirited!) thread, but I have two questions:

1) How does honey production compare between Warre and standard designs?

2) One of the controversies seems to be about folks enjoying opening the hive to observe, but this not being such a good thing in a Warre hive. Does anyone have knowledge or experience with the modified Warre hive that includes viewing windows in each super? Would this satisfy some of the curiosity factor? Is there a downside to these windows? I found a site with plans for this (I tried to paste in a link, but it was blocked since I am a new user), and it seems like it might provide a greater chance to get a look inside without having to open it up.

Thanks very much for any further info on this topic. I'm hoping to begin this year if possible.

Steven Slaughter
Chicago, IL
Steven Slaughter
Elementary Teacher
Chicago Public Schools
Chicago, IL
mrslaughter@inbox.com

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2009, 10:42:47 pm »
Does anyone have knowledge or experience with the modified Warre hive that includes viewing windows in each super? Would this satisfy some of the curiosity factor? Is there a downside to these windows? I found a site with plans for this (I tried to paste in a link, but it was blocked since I am a new user), and it seems like it might provide a greater chance to get a look inside without having to open it up.

I don't have any experience with it,  but it won't give you the same satisfaction as opening the hive.  First of all, depending on which side the widow is put, you will either see the ends of the comb or the face of the outside comb.  Looking down the ends of the comb is not very informative,  you can see the size of the cluster and perhaps honey stores, but you will not be able to see into the cells for eggs, pollen, etc.   Not to mention it will be dark in there as well.    Looking at the outside comb is even less informative.  You will never find the queen laying in the outside comb, so at best you will see honey.  I think it would be as interesting as a two frame observation hive with the frames side by side.  All the interesting activity will be out of sight.

As far as draw backs, I could see an issue with condensation on the inside if yu dorr is not sealed tightly.   Honeybee give off a lot of moisture in the winter and the cold glass would be a perfect place for condensation.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline seabeez

• New Bee
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2009, 01:58:19 am »
Hi All
Yet another newbee doing all the usual stuff a newbee does. Im verry interested in the Warre hive for my location in far north Queensland Australia , i go into a bit more detail in the introduction section , but basically day temps nevergo below 24-25 degrees celcius and never much over 35-36 degc all year and night temps even in winter never below 18 degc. So imguessing there could be issues regarding having the comb slump in really hot weather if im not carefull. I though about having really well insulated hives , but at the end of the day believe that rather than have this id be better making sure the hive is well shaded and well ventilated and let the bees do the fine tuning as i cant imagine there would be a large expenditure of energy maintaining the  optimum hive temp in these conditions.

Not that im lazy or anything but the "low" maintenance ,low interference" aspect of the design appeals as i live in a remote area and have a vague idea of a low maintenance , low interference lifestyle built around low-medium production of  premium honey. As we will shortly be living on a boat(3-4 months) and retiring in the next couple of years we can live very cheaply compared to most(10,000 - 12,000 USD a year) so i dont want to get rich just want to get off the merrygo round, and live my life and show my boys a "skill" that in the future will be much in demand i believe.

Im waiting on information from my local department of primary industries about keeping bees in this state but would welcome any and all information on beekeeping in the tropics ,as all the information im finding on the net relates to places that have winters as such.

Cheers   

anything