Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: prepare for sandy! knot tying class..  (Read 3143 times)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
prepare for sandy! knot tying class..
« on: October 27, 2012, 03:35:48 pm »
well i tried to tie down my hives on the pallet with rope with out luck! did the truckers hitch knot but just cant get it! i see hives so neatly tied down efficiently with rope but i cant just get it!

for those of u that use rope, what knot do u use?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: prepare for sandy! knot tying class..
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 03:56:28 pm »
Bee knot (trucker's hitch) should work well...I use it all the time to tie hives to my flat bed when moving them.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 04:01:42 pm »
same.  or ratchet straps. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BrentX

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 04:07:51 pm »
Truckers hitch or midshipmens hitch.  Knots roll off my fingers like a sailor...but that's another story.

Offline carlfaba10t

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 04:35:18 pm »
Well i can tie truckers knot but in your case i would recommend buying the small inexpensive rachet straps so much easier.   ;)
Carl-I have done so much with so little for so long i can now do something with nothing!

Offline Caelansbees

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 01:49:23 am »
Walmart had ratchet straps cheaper than decent rope....

Offline kingbee

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 02:48:01 am »
Harbor Freight has 15 foot ratchet straps 4 for (I think) less than 10 dollars.
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-ratcheting-tie-down-and-buckle-set-93109.html

I have faith in you. In the time it takes to program your GPS to find the store, you can learn to tie the truckers hitch in 5 seconds or less.  There is a right as well a wrong way to tie it.  If you tie it upside down or backwards, the loop will slip and close up when you try to cinch the free end tight.  Hope this helps.  It may help if you think of it as a poormans block and tackle.  It is always tied after one end is secured to the truck bed or what ever you want to secure the load to.  The belly of the rope is passed over the load and the lose end is either run over, under, around, or through the tiedown point before you make the loop or hitch. 

http://www.backpacker.com/skills-how-to-tie-a-quick-release-truckers-hitch/slideshows/115?position=1

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 09:08:28 am »
It is only the tension that holds a truckers knot together.  Remove the tension and it falls apart.  That is the whole idea... :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline beekeeper120

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 05:42:14 pm »
hehe,  knots Im having flashbacks from my old Navy Days..on a lighter note here is a post I posted on another topic,, AFter going through several hurricaines I can tell you, alot of the nervousness is you..the bees already are working on taking care of thier house and dont think they are worrying to much :)

Heres a repost...

I have been through several hurricanes with winds ranging from 75-105 MPH,  Out of the 10 hives I run and access to several hundred, I have only lost 1 top cover and seen 2 hives out of all of them get damaged from the storm.  The real danger is the rain/flooding and debris.  Pick up things around your yard and your neighbors and you should be set.  I was thinking about tieing my hives down but an old beekeeper that has been around for 60 years told me not to worry,  The hives will be fine..AFter biting my nails leading up to the storm and then during the storm I wont lie, I lost some sleep.   But when its over I went out side and to my suprise only lost 1 top during 1 storm and none on the other.   

The bees will sense the drop in pressure and start propolising down the hive. AS long as you did not go into the hives with in the last few days you will be fine.  IF you are in a flood area,.,,close the lower entrence with a reducer make a temp upper and let the bees glue it all down.  You can also get some sand bags and place around your hives..This will give you several inches of breathing room for flooding.

Good luck up there

Offline Caelansbees

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 11:58:33 pm »
One guy from our club lost three hive to a big tree.  He was able to salvage them together with one queen.  Frankenstorm made a Frankenhive.  He says they are doing okay, we will see about how they fare thru the winter thou. 

Offline kdm

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 11:33:21 am »
What trucker knots i have seen are sheep shanks.