Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Black Queen Cell Virus  (Read 897 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Black Queen Cell Virus
« on: November 23, 2022, 10:25:49 pm »
I recently seen the headlines of a video featuring 'treating' for Black Queen Cell Virus.  I would like to ask do you treat for this virus? Is this a virus your bee inspector has mentioned or seems to be concerned about? Any experiences with it yourself?
Thanks,

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
Re: Black Queen Cell Virus
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 02:03:33 pm »
I dont think Ive ever had it or seen it.

I have had dead queencells. Normally I take it as my not to gentle handing approach at the wrong times. Sometimes you just dont know exactly how old a cell is. move it, it dosnt hatch. open it. DEAD. But ive never had one per say Black.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Black Queen Cell Virus
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 02:00:33 pm »
We had a thread here somewhere on BQCV not that long ago.  Maybe under a different section?
Really nothing more to add nor to change than what has been relayed in that other thread.
Practically, the only people who will see it and be concerned with it are those raising many queens (100+)
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 04:30:30 pm »
This is the link I think you may be referring too Honey Pump?
https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=54688.0
Beeboy01 began that topic August 2021 which has some VERY good information posted concerning this disease. In fact both you and I posted on that topic, as well as other members. Much ground was covered.

We have had several new members that have joined since, who may not have heard of this disease which might ne interested.Thank you for referring to the prior post. (The oldest post I found on this subject here in the archives was back in 2007).

I am still interested to know if this is a subject that our fellow beekeeping members might have discussed with their (*local* bee inspector). Further discussion here may or may not unfold, or uncover more valuable information. For example;  Do we know if location might play a part in the strengths or weaknesses of this disease? Or; Do some areas of the (World) have more of a problem with this disease than others?

Phillip
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 05:36:22 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 06:58:26 pm »
Yep, that was a good post.

Thank you HP. Ive wanted to say this many times. You do a beautiful job translating words into written text. Your posts are truly appreciated.

anything