Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees on cotton  (Read 1813 times)

Offline kenthold

• New Bee
Bees on cotton
« on: September 23, 2013, 10:40:26 am »
I had a couple of hives on cotton at one of my friends farm soon after it started blooming.  The one hive was doing so good I decided to move my other 3 over there to finish out the season.  My question is, should I pull them off before they defoliate the cotton?  That will happen about October 15 and I was planning on bringing them back home for the winter.  I just don't know if I should wait till they defoliate and the flow tapers off or will it hurt them to take them off of a strong nectar flow like that this late it the year.  Will they have a large population built up and then die off or eat up the stores because of lack of nectar?

Offline trapperbob

• House Bee
Re: Bees on cotton
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 12:54:53 pm »
Definitely take them off before they defoliate the spray they use will hurt them for sure

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 05:44:09 pm »
Take them off in the middle of a warm day, moving house bees only and leaving the foragers.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline kenthold

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 08:42:35 pm »
Thanks for the input.  Iddee, I hadn't even thought about pulling them out and leaving the field bees.  In a way I hate to leave them all out there but that sounds like a good way to solve the problem. 

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 08:30:22 am »
why wait cotton flow been over.  they will bee picking here 1st of next week
to bee or not to bee

Offline kenthold

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 10:42:28 am »
I guess we are a little behind here.  They won't be picking here for a month or so.  One thing I was wondering.  One of the hives is kind of weak, I was wondering if it would help to leave it there a week after I pull the other hives so the field bees from the others would go to that hive and help it out a little.

Offline nella

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 12:23:50 pm »
I guess we are a little behind here.  They won't be picking here for a month or so.  One thing I was wondering.  One of the hives is kind of weak, I was wondering if it would help to leave it there a week after I pull the other hives so the field bees from the others would go to that hive and help it out a little.

I have done that before and it helped the weak hive. I have also switched places with a weak and strong hive to help a weak hive.