Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: ITCHY DOG  (Read 5201 times)

Offline GNHONEY

• New Bee
ITCHY DOG
« on: February 04, 2007, 10:19:00 pm »
CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO MAKE MY DOG STOP SCRATCHING ALL THE TIME ITS DRIVING US BOTH CRAZY GAVE HIM A FLEA BATH AND HE IS STILL SCRATCHING NOT FINDING ANYMORE FLEAS WOULD HEAD AND SHOULDERS WORK.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: ITCHY DOG
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 10:23:46 pm »
I have dogs.  We have in the past had fleas and I know your problem.  You gave him a flea bath, that is good.  But you have to remember that there are probably more fleas jumping back on him if you have fleas at your place.

This is what we have used.  Do you have this product available in your country?  It is called "Advantage".  It is a liquid applied to the top areas of the dog.  As soon as a flea bites the dog it is doomed, it poisons the insect and it cannot reproduce of course.  It does not take long before you will not longer have a flea problem.

Some people do not believe in using these kinds of products, but they work and they are not harmful to the dog.  Have been using it for years.

You must stop the fleas reproducing.  Giving a flea bath only kills the fleas on the dogs. 

Go to your vet, pet store and find out if you can get a product of this nature.  It really works and I highly recommend it.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline GNHONEY

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 11:57:01 pm »
CINDI THANKS FOR THE INFO WE USE THE FLEA OIL THAT YOU PUT BETWEEN THE DOGS SHOULDERS IM JUST WONDERING IF MAYBE HE IS ALLERGIC TO FLEA BITES OR JUST DRI SKIN DONT FIND BUT ONE OR TWO FLEAS ON HIM AND HE STILL SCRATCHES LIKE CRAZY THE OTHER TWO DOGS DONT SEEM TO SCRACTH LIKE HE DOES  ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED ---GNHONEY--

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 12:15:34 am »
Awe, feel sorry for your pooch (and you guys too).  That is annoying when they scratch.   Good luck with a solution, I am sure someone can offer some valuable advice.

What is even more annoying is:  we have new laminate floors recently and man do the dogs claws make noise when they walk.  I even trimmed the nails down, but they still click like crazy.  And I never noticed before, but our older girl even shuffles her feet when she walks.  Now that is really annoying.  Sometimes I wish I could take back the laminate and give me back my carpet and lino.  Maybe it is just a matter of tuning it out.  Just like we do with kids, right?  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 05:19:32 pm »
If you dont find evidence of fleas he may not have any b/c its winter in your locale. Look for small red dots, fleas themselves and use a flea comb to find out if you actually have fleas. It would be odd for january in Michigan. Probably then has dry skin. Use dandruff shampoo and add a multi-oil to dog food. I use California Natural's multi-oil and vitamin supplement. Awesome addidtive for pet health.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline GNHONEY

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 05:38:36 pm »
THANKS KONASDAD I WILL GIVE THE HEAD AND SHOULDERS A TRY ITS A DANDRUFF SHAMPOO AND AS FOR THE CALIFORNIA NATURAL MULTI-OIL WHERE DO I GET THAT FROM   THANKS ---GNHONEY--

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 11:43:05 am »
I get Kona's oil at a good pet store or feed store that sells dog items. There are other brands that have similar products. Look for oils that have diff't types, such as fish oil, safflower, borage etc. Some oils also contain glucosamine and chondrointin for their hips and elbows. In a pinch, just start adding veggie oils you already have-olive, safflowere etc. A tablespoon or two once a day to start and then a little less after the itching stops.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline GNHONEY

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 07:15:29 pm »
 THANKS FOR THE INFO KONASDAD DOG SAYS THANKS TO SEYA --GNHONEY--

Offline kensfarm

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 10:20:22 am »
It's cold.. the dogs skin dries out too.. use oatmeal shampoo & conditioner. 

Offline brydie

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 09:47:31 pm »
Hi GNHONEY,

Your pooch sounds like he has sensitive skin.  If this is so he will be a bit more susceptable to the dry winter air than other dogs.  His skin is going to be dry and itchy (bit like our skin in winter) and the best way to help ease this discomfort is to introduce some oils back into his skin.  You can try introducing a supplement into his diet called "Evening Primrose Oil".  These come in a capsule form of 1000mg.  What you need to do is pierce 1 capsule and squeeze out the oil onto his food twice a day.  Also try giving him a can of sardines in oil every couple of days.

I certainly agree with the oatmeal shampoo/conditioner. It's perfect for dogs with sensitive skin.  Stay away from any shampoos with tea-tree oil, and any of those flea rinses/shampoos for a while, they are very drying to the coat and skin.  Only bath when absolutely neccesary!  Dogs don't reproduce oil into their coats like humans and hair.  He's probably not going to get really smelly during winter anyhow, so I would recommend bathing only every 4-6weeks at the most.

If he does in fact have fleas, you can use Advantage or Frontline Plus (I'm in Australia so I'm not sure if you have these over your way).

Hope this helps!  Take care - Brydie

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 12:47:02 am »
Any sign whatsover of a flea on our pooches, I bring out the Advantage.  A few years ago we had quite a flea invasion.  Think it was from some barn cats that moved in the horses hay barn.  Advantage took care of the issue and have not had it that bad again.  Only minor outbreaks, but they are gone before they even know that they had so many dogs they could suck dry.  Advantage is widely used in Canada.  Greatest of days.  Cindi

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 06:10:49 pm »
Someone once said dead dogs don't scratch.  Just kidding.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline GNHONEY

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 09:55:21 pm »
THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE INFO I HAVE BEEN PUTTING ONE TABLESPOON OF OLIVE OIL IN HIS FOOD EVERY MORNING SEEMS TO BE HELPING GOING TO GIVE HIM OATMEAL SHAMPOO BATH AND THEN GIVE HIM SOME OF THE ADVANTAGE GOING TO BE ONE HAPPY DOG  --GNHONEY--

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 10:43:53 pm »
Feed that guy some Flax seed oil my grandaughter has bad skin we giver Flax seed oil and it helped her stop itchingggggggggggggggggggggggggggg and itchingggggggggggggggg kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 01:19:34 am »
I bet the dog would love the flaxseed oil and ya, it would be really good for him.

I dislike flaxseed oil intensely.  I wish I could tolerate it, but I simply cannot.  I have tried and tried to acquire a taste for it, but cannot.  I have even tried disguising it with other stuff, like the yummy balsamic vinegar, the taste still comes through, loud and clear.  Too bad, cause I know how good it is for ya.  Oh well, will take lots of halibut oil pills instead.  Awesome day.  Cindi

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 02:45:33 pm »
My dog gets his skin iritated when we bath him so I will normally put skin so soft in the water or you can rub him down with it before you dry him off.  It helps with hotspots and such good luck