Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: entrance and paint  (Read 3889 times)

Offline zzzzzzzzpr

• House Bee
entrance and paint
« on: March 08, 2013, 03:24:42 pm »
im getting ready to build a top bar hive so i can have bees for my garden. im a newbie to bees and had a couple of questions about building a hive.

ive seen the videos here on building a top bar hive. the guy drilled 1 inch holes for vent and the entrance. is that okay? i read some where you want a centimeter or less for an entrance. which one should i have?

2nd question is paint. can i paint everything inside and out including the top bars with latex paint?

Offline beeman2009

• House Bee
Re: entrance and paint
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 06:53:41 pm »
No paint on inside AT ALL!  As to entrance, everyone has a different opinion, me I like the top end entrance which is setting the 1st bar back app 1/2" and raising the roof about the same. Of course that is if you are using a flat roof. Otherwise a couple 3/4" holes will do fine. As for ventilation, depends a lot on your location.

Other TBH beeks will soon chime in.
All things may be lawful, but not all things are advantageous.

Beeman2009

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 09:43:35 pm »
Bees will polish everything inside the hive.   Your paint would be wasted as the bees would coat it with wax and propolis. 

Offline zzzzzzzzpr

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 02:34:44 pm »
thank you for your input.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 10:17:17 am »
I don't paint the inside.  I never drill holes in equipment, including top bar hives.  My entrance is the gap between the first bar and the front of the hive...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm
http://www.bushfarms.com/images/TBHEntrance1.JPG
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything