Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Family That Nips & Tucks Together  (Read 5269 times)

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
Family That Nips & Tucks Together
« on: May 06, 2005, 07:34:18 pm »
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/05/05/eveningnews/main693305.shtml

To Ralph Liberatore, the thought of having his miniature pinscher Butch neutered was painful.

Was it concern for his vanity?

"Well, probably sure," says Liberatore. "How is he going to be looked at by the other dogs in the dog world?"

Then he heard about Neuticles - testicular implants made of silicone that would make Butch look like Butch again.

"And I did get him the right size," says Liberatore.

Since Neuticles hit the market, nearly 150,000 pairs have been sold. Liberatore says support for the gems are split right down the middle.

"Women's ... two reactions would be 'eeeew,' or, 'He doesn't know any different,'" says Liberatore. "Guys are like, 'Really? Awesome! You gotta do it.'"

This is one case in television where less is more and here they are, and that's all you get.

And it's not just Neuticles. Like their owners, pets are getting all types of cosmetic surgery - breast reductions, eyelifts, and even fat removal. Most of these procedures are medically necessary; a more attractive look is simply a fringe benefit.

Pumpkin could hardly walk until she had 5 pounds of fat surgically removed.

"She's much thinner," says Pumpkin's owner Jessie Schultz. "There are days she looks like she's half her size."

Marjorie Dye's pooch Bode had a facelift. A hanging lip - prone to infection - was nipped and tucked for cosmetic and medical reasons.

"Cosmetically it just looks so much better so a little bit of each, and it's no big deal," says Dye. "You know, I've had my nip and tucks."

Liberatore admits neuticles are more about him than Butch.

What is it about you guys that think you need to replace these things on an animal?

"It's just a guy thing," says Liberatore. "A guy that has them, knows what they are and what they mean, and taking them away is very bad.

"People project certain things on their pets," says Dr. Alan Schulman, a veterinary surgeon.

Schulman is not surprised. He says pet owners are taking America's obsession with perfection too far.

"I think the money would be better spent if the person who wanted these implants went to therapy," says Schulman.

But Liberatore says he's pleased that Butch looks like a complete "package" again.

"I'm happy I did it - 100 percent," he says.

It leaves us to wonder if there are any limits to the cosmetic surgery phenomenon, or have we all simply gone nuts?

Since Neuticles hit the market, nearly 150,000 pairs have been sold.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 07:40:11 pm »
I think they are a great idea, I have a show dog so I dont want to take his out. Bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 09:41:15 am »
It's most definately a MAN thing. LOL And it proves that men are strange creatures. :)

Beth

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 12:01:46 pm »
haha, how funny beth. bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 12:32:25 pm »
Well I am sure it is same for women but yea it is a more of a male confidence thing for most it is what (I am trying to think of the right words here) identifies ourselves and yes the mars and venus applies I guess here but same as women we are kinda attached to them and use to having the twins around and when one of the roomates is removed you feel lopsided and the completeness is gone (you feel as if something is missing and you feel inferior it is human to feel this way) but it just takes time for this feeling to leave and you feel good about yourself again but everyone is different on the feelings after the surg. on security, But as for pets my opionion is different I myself think it is a vanity thing to do so with dogs horn made a point about showing his dogs I have 2 rotts I use to show but either way you cant do confermation and I dont think dogs have the same feelings as humans do about it for us it is vanity and feeling complete.

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 12:48:24 pm »
Oh yeah.....it's a totally different thing for a HUMAN to want "replacements". But doing this for a dog or cat??? I read some stuff on it years ago, and actually did read that even women wanted the dog to be "complete". So I'm only teasing you men. Women apparently want their dogs to have them too. One woman said something to the affect - "My dog has such a cute butt.... I didn't want the back side view to change".

Stupid! LOL Some people are so strange. Personally, I don't look at my male dogs butt often enough to notice the difference. I'm usually looking at the face end.

It's gotta be an ego thing for the human only. I was thinking (now this is an odd thought) wonder if there have been people out there that choose a larger size replacement for their animal than what was taken out. Oh boy. LOL

Beth :)

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 12:50:48 pm »
I agree but I have gotten to the point the more I meet people the more I like my pets as company LOL

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 12:52:31 pm »
People that own showdogs are of a diff breed all them selves. My mom had an apointment for my springer spannel rosco to be nuetered. I canceled a week before after 2 months of planning, I couldnt do it, lol :oops:
Ryan Horn

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 12:56:27 pm »
I can understand the pet control issue but I do wish we could implement the same on people some people just dont need kids or should have any    (someone Please take the soapbox before I get on it on stupid people) lol