Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: registering your hive  (Read 3892 times)

Offline jennybrobst

• New Bee
registering your hive
« on: August 02, 2012, 01:18:12 am »
just a question when you register your hive as a new beekeeper do they check it the first year? if so do they just check the bees or the hive it self{like for any gaps etc.} I live in Northeastern PA

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: registering your hive
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 01:43:49 am »
Not sure when or if they will ever check your hives. Rest assured they won't be checking for gaps in your woodenware.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline jennybrobst

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 01:59:37 am »
k thanks my topbar is hand built and when it was finished i notice it had some gaps in there i guess the wood i used was slightly warped or something since it belonged to someone else and might not have been treated good

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 12:24:21 am »
Do yuall have to register your hives.  Haven't heard that one yet here.  In fact I was talking to a member of the local bee club about how many hives he has, he got to figuring and said he's got close to 80 he quess.  So I don't think we have to register our hives here.  That like I tried to get a bee inspector to look at the hives I bought.  He asked if they were going out of the county or state they were located in, they weren't so he wouldn't come inspect them.

Joe

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 06:34:16 pm »
In PA the law requires inspection. And registration. However there is little funding for the inspection program If they inspect,they are looking at the bees. The only requirement for the equipment is movable frames for inspection purpose. Gaps in hive bodies are not an offense of any kind.
http://www.pastatebeekeepers.org/inspection.htm
A lot of people do not bother. Let your conscience be your guide.Do you like sporadic inspections and want to pay the ten dollars every other year? I know of noone who has been targeted for not registering unless you have a sick hive and infect someone elses. Pay heed they can only enforce foul brood infections,and make suggestion on mite infections.
I was told that last year one of the inspectors was quite inexperienced and probably should not have been doing the job,but that is only heresay.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 06:36:08 pm »
As budget money is short,most inspectors are tied up with commercial keepers and queen sellers. As a single or low number hive owner,you may never hear from them other than to renew your registration in two years.