Welcome, Guest

Poll

Does your bees get more agressive the older the queen gets? Reguardless of strain.

yes
1 (14.3%)
no
5 (71.4%)
some
1 (14.3%)
very much
0 (0%)
run for 48 hours
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Gentleness of bees  (Read 3067 times)

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Gentleness of bees
« on: October 13, 2009, 07:39:13 pm »
This is my first poll. Hope it is right.

Do my bees get more aggressive as the queen gets older? yes. :)doak

Online G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: Gentleness of bees
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 08:38:05 pm »
never really noticed it to say the truth.

I have a bee tree stump in the yard and took a chain saw to it the other day to trim it up so that I could close it off for the winter and the bees were so gentle it was unreal, not even a single head butt. Made about six cuts all the way through it on the top and side where the top and a limb had broken out. Nailed a couple of boards across it to close it up and a shingle for a roof. they still have a knot hole for a entrance.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 10:04:34 pm »
I'd say yes and no.  Depending on her genetics and also what drones she mated with.  I'd guess it is possible for her to use up a particular drone's genetics before starting on the next one, triggering a change in temperament.

Or perhaps she just gets crotchety with age and then the worker bees get cranky having to work around the old hag.  :-D
Rick

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 12:50:28 pm »
Cant really say. I think mine are the same, MEAN! All three hives have requeened themselves this year and I did not see a difference. One hive is hotter than the other two. 1 hive seems weaker or at least they dont klike to build like the other two. I think mine really depends on what is going on and what the weather is doing.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 03:49:28 pm »
Looks like the poll contradicts what I have read in most all the books on beekeeping.
Most all stress that one of the points of re queening is to have a young queen, which will have stronger pheromones, which plays a part in the gentleness of the workers.
Of course I understand the fact that some of the gentleness also comes from genes. 
What am I missing?

My Mother always told me I couldn't have the whole pie.
doak

anything