Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 3 Removals, One Very Cool External Colony-March 12, 2010  (Read 8807 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
3 Removals, One Very Cool External Colony-March 12, 2010
« on: March 12, 2010, 10:15:56 pm »
First hive I removed last Saturday, small, absolutely no stores & nothing new coming in, bees on brink of starvation. Since then bees happy and being fed, pollen coming in.

2nd I removed yesterday evening, external colony, that I looked at in January. They have grown, hardly any stores, lots of gentle bees, sucking down the feed. Had approximately 12-14 queen cups.

Today, gentle colony, decent bit of bees, some stores, two queen cups.

Our bees are still a week to ten days from swarming, 3 -3 and a half weeks behind schedule.

The bright side is our weather has warmed up and white clover is blooming, perhaps some willow, blackberry soon.

Pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970/March122010#

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: 3 Removals, One Very Cool External Colony-March 12, 2010
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 11:08:47 pm »
Once again Jp "you da man!". I'll be doing a tough one on Sunday. Real brick over wood frame....have to go in through the indoor (tiled) shower just at a "t" in the framing. I'll be thinking the whole time...WWJPD. :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 11:14:44 pm »
Once again Jp "you da man!". I'll be doing a tough one on Sunday. Real brick over wood frame....have to go in through the indoor (tiled) shower just at a "t" in the framing. I'll be thinking the whole time...WWJPD. :-D

Scott

I'll tell you what I'd be doing, hiding!  :-D

That sounds like an aweful one Scott, good luck and please post lots of pictures.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 11:20:38 pm »
I'll try to get some pics if I can, but I've got the feeling I'll be up to my elbows in "sticky"...gotta love it!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 11:36:15 pm »
Great Pics. JP. Looks like you are a busy man already. The outside colony that was in the bush had some size to the combs and amount of bees. Looked like the type from the tropical regions of the world.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 11:53:46 pm »
nice pics,will be doing my first cutout at my sister in-laws house.bees going in where the bricks meet the siding (2 story home).do you have any tips........
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 12:14:33 am »
You always have these awesome photos of the queen that I find amazing. You make it look so, so easy JP

Thanks once again for sharing
Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 12:21:28 am »
nice pics,will be doing my first cutout at my sister in-laws house.bees going in where the bricks meet the siding (2 story home).do you have any tips........

Bees most likely are in between the two floors. You have three choices on how to go about this, but before you do anything, verify exactly where the colony indeed is located.

1) From the outside: Have to remove siding to get to band board, then cut band board section between joists. Potential problem depending on how long they've been there is the possibility that comb sections are further in than you can reach.

2) Cut ceiling. If possible cut opening further over than where bees are to allow you to detach comb sections without honey dripping all over you. Iddee loves this method, not me.  ;)

3) From above. If carpet over plywood, pull carpet back and cut plywood on ceiling joists. Invert plywood. Can get a little messy but at least honey is not dripping down on you! This is my preferred method, but to each his own.

If you can 100% verify size of colony, option 1 may be a pretty good option, but remember, if it extends further into the room than you can extend, you will have to go in and open ceiling or floor as well, and that would indeed suck. Been there.

And have fun and don't be in a rush.

...JP

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 12:46:20 am »
and take extra stuff.  better to many frames and boxes than not enough.  have you looked at list of  things to take?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 01:09:12 am »
and take extra stuff.  better to many frames and boxes than not enough.  have you looked at list of  things to take?

Yes, bring every tool you own and cram them all in a trailer or better yet a van!

...JP

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 08:42:07 am »
JP's right. I like #2. To each his own. All 3 work and each cutout you do will require a different approach. The main thing is to get them out the easiest and cleanest way you can find, with the least upset.

JP, Nice pics. I guess spring has sprung in LA. I'm jealous.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 09:51:46 am »
Iddee, I really, really hope spring is here. I believe it is, but you never know with this global warming thing right?  :-D

...JP

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 09:35:03 pm »
Awesome Jp! You are off and running now, its that time of year so we will only hear from jp in between all his cutouts. :-D

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 11:11:19 pm »
JP still the Swarm King!  Great pics as usual.  I like the ones with their little butts in the air fanning. I can't even imagine how ugly it would be if I was cutting things apart...You are so tidy!  Keep it up, the season is just starting.

Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 11:26:37 pm »
I love the pic's as well you take great photos I cant wait till its bee time up here in Colorado!!!!
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 07:02:27 am »
I love the pic's as well you take great photos I cant wait till its bee time up here in Colorado!!!!

Hey, thanks alot, but the camera I have does all the work! Good to see you back on and posting.

Have a great season!

...JP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 02:10:38 pm »
Well bust my britches Jody and Sharon showing up on this thread, haven't seen y'all in a while, glad to see you. I wonder if that other lady will show up too. That would certainly make it official that the season is truly here!

You know who I'm speaking of right?

Hint: Rocks and Whoppo.

I don't know, she's pretty incognito these days!

...JP  ;)

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 03:47:16 pm »
Nice pic's JP but come on let's see a video of the Swarm king at work :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 03:51:07 pm »
Nice pic's JP but come on let's see a video of the Swarm king at work :-D

Haven't sprung for the new camera just yet, but I will be getting it soon! If you make one of you riding the pink bycycle it will definitely give me incentive.

Now if you make one with beer cans stuck to your head riding the pink bycycle, I will have no choice but to go out and get one that day!

...JP

anything