Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Should I Take A Winter Peek?  (Read 2187 times)

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
  • Still Proud. Retired, Michigan State Police
Should I Take A Winter Peek?
« on: January 19, 2017, 09:00:47 pm »
I lost one hive to wax moths and I have one more that I hope makes it through the winter. Some in our Bee Club wrap their hives for the Winter.  Some don't. My first time so I wrapped it. I'm really curious if they are still living inside. I didn't pull any honey hoping that would help them for the winter. What happens if I open the hive to see if I still have a hive? Or should I just wait and in the meantime order another package of bees?
Check out my Blog!:

http://beekeeper.flexmedia.tv/

Retired State Trooper. Part time Beekeeper. If you ever see me run, Run!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Should I Take A Winter Peek?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 10:39:11 pm »
What are your temperatures. I recommend not opening other than lift the lid and peek in.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 12:14:50 am »
For the last 3 days, between 32-35. rain and really warm for us for the next 3 days even reaching 40 tomorrow, 53 Saturday 51 Sunday. I saw some dead bees at the entrance, no more than what I would think should be there.
Check out my Blog!:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 12:38:17 am »
Just lift the back of the hive and feel how heavy the hives are. If they are heavy, leave them closed up. When it gets above 45 degrees, watch your hives and you will see them doing their cleansing flights.
Jim 
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 12:57:10 am »
When I wasn't sure I grabbed a meat thermometer.  It was below zero at the time.  The meat thermometer was pegged at its lowest reading. 

I stuck the end of the thermometer in the upper enterance for a few minutes.  When I retrieved it, it read about 50 deg or so.  That told me there was something in the hive creating heat.....obviously bees and I didn't need to open the hive at all.
You are what you think.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 11:17:45 am »
If your concern is for the bees, leave them alone.  If your concern is to learn what a winter cluster is like at the expense of the bees, then take a look.  I learned a lot messing with bees in winter, but I don't think it was good for the bees...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 11:56:27 am »
Get yourself a stethoscope and remove the round end. You can stick the tubes into the entrances and hear their buzzing.

Last winter I was too scared to do anything to them. This winter, I did open them a week ago or so. It was in the low 30's, no wind and sunshine. I have the Mt. Camp on top, so I took a long stick and stuck it into the upper entrance to feel the sugar. On two hives it felt like there was not much left, so those are the ones I opened. I'm glad I did, too. They had consumed quite a bit of it. I just lifted the lid a bit to peek and slip in a sugar brick. It was really cool to see them!
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 12:24:03 pm »
I do not have the cold problem but I really don't want to bother the bees.  I wrote about a bore-scope to use in cut outs so that you can see the bees on a small screen or a laptop.  I bought one for less than $60 , If you really want see inside without disturbing the bees get one of these It can be used for lots of other things.  My bees are really flying this AM 64 degrees some flowers are blooming, mostly henbit.  Planning time is over time to work now. Lots of luck.

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 03:54:10 pm »
Just lift the back of the hive and feel how heavy the hives are.
Jim

You know Jim, I should have weighed the thing before I closed it up. I got a lot of woulda shoulda couldas with me new hobby....
Check out my Blog!:

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 03:59:07 pm »
Get yourself a stethoscope and remove the round end. You can stick the tubes into the entrances and hear their buzzing.

That's probably the least intrusive way. Thanks for tip!
Art
Check out my Blog!:

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 04:11:54 pm »
If your concern is for the bees, leave them alone.  If your concern is to learn what a winter cluster is like at the expense of the bees, then take a look.  I learned a lot messing with bees in winter, but I don't think it was good for the bees...
I mostly care for the bees and try to leave them alone to their own thing as much as I can. Leaving them be probably killed the other hive with wax moths but I don't have the knowledge to save a weak hive anyway. After all the responses I think I'll try to listen and not intrude. If they are dead, they didn't die from the cold or not having enough food. I'll either order 2 more package bees or take up cross stitch!
Check out my Blog!:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 11:45:04 pm »
Flex,
I checked all of my hose this past week. Lifted 1 of them that felt like it was a box of empty supers with no frames. Then I checked the oil tray and it was
full of cut cappings. I opened it up and there were only a few bees and only a few brood cells and no honey (most it showed it was robbed) but lots of pollen.
Lost another hive to warm weather.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 12:40:51 am »
Sawdstmakr,
I guess losing hives is pretty common. All of my friends have lost at least one. Kinda tough when you only have 2. My new hobby is more difficult than I thought!

Art
Check out my Blog!:

anything