Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: question about Honey B Healthy /Pro Health or making your own  (Read 8358 times)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
i was at a bee meeting today and i overheard a group talking about adding supplements in there feed.. a few where talking about making there own additive that was the same as Honey B Healthy /Pro Health .. 
any of u make your own?

Offline winginit

• House Bee
Re: question about Honey B Healthy /Pro Health or making your own
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 09:31:46 am »
I did. It was my first hive and my first year. Bees died over the winter but I wouldn't blame the Honey B Healthy. New package seemed to like it and did well, but I made every mistake in the book that first year (well, every mistake except the one's I haven't made yet!) and the hives went into the winter weak.

Here's the recipe I used. Note that it stinks up the house BIG TIME when you make it. I was glad no one was home. If you have a different recipe, would love to see it.

5 cups water
2 ½ pounds of sugar
1/8 teaspoon lecithin granules (used as an emulsifier)
15 drops spearmint oil
15 drops lemongrass oil

Bring the water to a boil and integrate the sugar until dissolved. Once the sugar is dissolved remove the mixture from the heat and quickly add the lecithin and the essential oils. Stir until everything is evenly distributed. This solution should have a strong scent and not be left open around bees. Cool before using.

(I wouldn't get it on your gardening gloves, either!)

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 05:23:06 pm »
I got this one from John Seaborn with Wolf Creek Apiaries

1 drop Tea Tree Oil
4 drops Lemon Grass Oil
1/4 cup water (blend on low 4-5min to emulsify oil)

add 1 cup of the above mixture to 1 gallon of 1/1 syrup though I suppose 2/1 would be ok as well.

Offline adamant

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 01:08:11 pm »
they are telling me that the oils have to be food grade.
i called the place where i bought it WFMED and they said the spearmint is USP AND the lemon grass is aromatherapy grade. is that a problem?

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 07:44:06 pm »
The difference is that food grade oils are pure. Many aroma therapy grade oils are made with the aid of solvents.

Offline mrchevy3

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 11:30:38 am »
I did. It was my first hive and my first year. Bees died over the winter but I wouldn't blame the Honey B Healthy. New package seemed to like it and did well, but I made every mistake in the book that first year (well, every mistake except the one's I haven't made yet!) and the hives went into the winter weak.

Here's the recipe I used. Note that it stinks up the house BIG TIME when you make it. I was glad no one was home. If you have a different recipe, would love to see it.

5 cups water
2 ½ pounds of sugar
1/8 teaspoon lecithin granules (used as an emulsifier)
15 drops spearmint oil
15 drops lemongrass oil

Bring the water to a boil and integrate the sugar until dissolved. Once the sugar is dissolved remove the mixture from the heat and quickly add the lecithin and the essential oils. Stir until everything is evenly distributed. This solution should have a strong scent and not be left open around bees. Cool before using.

(I wouldn't get it on your gardening gloves, either!)

I used this same recipe and the bees love it also if you look on bottle as to what is in honey-b-healthy it's the same stuff!

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 01:19:06 pm »
The bee's do love it and it can get a robbing spree up and going.   I think it also slows feed fermentation.  At least it gets them sucking down the feed faster.