Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Monastery Bees Get Pissy!  (Read 3265 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Monastery Bees Get Pissy!
« on: March 31, 2012, 01:04:55 pm »
This large open air colony was removed this past Wednesday, 3-28-2012. Without my Golden Bee jacket I would have been toast! The colony didn't have any honey, only some fresh nectar but I believe they may be mean in general. The hive is now at Emil's place in Destrehan where we share hive space. Emil released the queen the next day & only took a few stings. Says they aren't too bad in their new home, yet.  :-D

It was decided to give them a chance to show their true colors over the course of a few inspections. If they stay mean, she gets pinched.

...JP

Monastery Bees Get Pissy!
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: Monastery Bees Get Pissy!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 01:54:15 pm »
Wow, they looked a tad bit aggressive. Is this one of your most aggressive hives you have done?

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 02:00:45 pm »
That is how those little black German bees use to be, every time!!

Nice cut out, I loved the plastic tent the caretaker gave them, he was all heart.

What kind of frames are those at the very last of the video, looked like the top bar was split?

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 03:54:08 pm »
Never in all the years of you doing videos, have I ever seen a hive this aggressive. Curious how it turns out in the long run. Did you get stung on your hands?

Offline jredburn

• House Bee
    • Poorboybees
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 05:40:08 pm »
JP
I don't see any smoke in the video.
You said it was a rainy day.
I don't see a spray bottle of sugar water being used.
That's a prescription for aggressive behavior according to the big dogs I run with.
Regards
Joe

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 12:07:30 am »
I was thinking at the start, wouldn't it be nice to leave the hive at the   Monastery, but after seeing that hive, it was way too mean.   I really hope Emil requeens them.   

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 12:20:42 am »
JP
I don't see any smoke in the video.
You said it was a rainy day.
I don't see a spray bottle of sugar water being used.
That's a prescription for aggressive behavior according to the big dogs I run with.
Regards
Joe

Joe, you are correct in that there is no smoker being used in the video but rest assured it was used. The smoker just didn't make the cut. The smoker would run some back to the hive but truly had little effect with these bees. I offered them feed but they really didn't bother with it much albeit they did rob out all nectar in those comb sections I put aside that were unusable.

Annette, no stings & its been quite a while that I've messed with a hive this irritable. 

Shawn, this was not the most aggressive hive I've ever dealt with but definitely in the top ten!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 11:34:56 am »
I like free bees, just not any of those gals for me! Hope they work out for ya.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 10:40:50 pm »
Man the way they were acting they seem like AHB. I would definitely requeen with a mated queen to get rid of that aggression.With all this warm winter we had they could have moved into your area.

john

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 03:01:27 am »
I would pinch her in a heart beat if they are hot durning your next few inspections.  Bees like that give beekeepers a bad name if neighbors get a taste of them and like you say in the video, those genetics are not needed in the local pool.  I had a colony like that was like that in 2010 and would follow me about a hundred yards sometimes.  I will never tolerate one like that again.  I like to work with only a veil and no gloves if I can help it.  I like to blow on the bees too when I want to see the comb they cover without my face being swarmed.

Where was that video taken, louisiana?  What state do you frequent with the bees?

Thanks for the video!
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 12:03:51 pm »
I would pinch her in a heart beat if they are hot durning your next few inspections.  Bees like that give beekeepers a bad name if neighbors get a taste of them and like you say in the video, those genetics are not needed in the local pool.  I had a colony like that was like that in 2010 and would follow me about a hundred yards sometimes.  I will never tolerate one like that again.  I like to work with only a veil and no gloves if I can help it.  I like to blow on the bees too when I want to see the comb they cover without my face being swarmed.

Where was that video taken, louisiana?  What state do you frequent with the bees?

Thanks for the video!

The bees are at Emil's place, wayyy in the back. I've asked him to monitor them closely. He says so far they have not been aggressive but of course they are still going through their rebuild period.

We decided to give them a chance before pinching the queen as mentioned in the video they had very little stores. The hive didn't grow truly evil until I started fooling with them. We shall see folks.

I know y'all are chomping at the bit to 86 the queen but be patient, we'll have an answer soon enough!

...JP

anything