Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Electric Fence Wire or Tape?  (Read 2068 times)

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
Electric Fence Wire or Tape?
« on: April 21, 2007, 09:25:05 am »
 In two or three weeks we're getting three nucs for our house up in Maine. I've got to put up electric fence of some kind that weekend. I used the search feature here and have decided on getting a regular charger and fiberglass fence post based on what I read. The fiberglass post are only in the ground 6"-7" but should be sturdy enough to hold wire or electric fence 1.5" cloth tape. My bee yard will be small at 16'x16'.  I plan on using carpet remnants under the fence to stop weed growth and I will bait it with sardines and/or peanut butter. I'm leaning towards the electric charger because I'll be so close to the garage but would go solar if someone here thought that was a better choice.  Because of shipping cost I'm going to buy almost everything except the charger locally. Has anyone here had experience with the electric fence 1.5" tape? The people at the feed store couldn't offer me any advice because they deal with horse and livestock applications. They didn't want me unsatisfied because I bought the wrong fencing material,wrong joule rated charger so they suggested I ask a few other beekeepers. Good advice heh?? What would you all do if you were putting up a fence for the first time? Thanks!
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline organicgrl37

• House Bee
Re: Electric Fence Wire or Tape?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 09:59:06 am »
the bee yards I work in always used wire. No certain reason, just that it was probably on sale that week :-D

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 10:18:10 am »
Solar does not have as much bang as the plug in units. The string and tape type is easier to work with if you are going to move it, the wire will crimp and break when rolling it back up. The fiberglass posts are great, but they will give off fiberglass splinters after a few years. As far as fencers go...get Bulldozer, best on the market and it will keep the weeds off the fence its self and will only run you around 100.00.
Sugarbush Bees

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 02:08:20 pm »
Tape is perfect for horses.  They can see it, so they don't get hurt, and it won't cut them if they run into it.  Barbed wire electrified and on insulators is perfect for bears.  It pokes into their fur and hide to get a good contact.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 03:22:54 pm »
I forgot to mention that ground rods are very important, three is best. They make a copper coated rod for fencers, but its not cheap. Get three 6 ft pieces of 1/2" black iron pipe and drive them in the ground 5ft. Clamp the ground wire to the first one and then run a jump wire from that one to the next two.
Sugarbush Bees

anything