Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help!  (Read 1239 times)

Offline paps5

• Brood
Help!
« on: April 11, 2009, 02:58:56 pm »
I have just installed a package of bee's w/queen. I have two questions.
First, how long do I leave the entrance reducer.
Second, I have a Pro feeder that came with my hive, from Mann Lake, how long do I feed?

Thanks!

Offline patook

• House Bee
    • Brother Bee Apiary
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 03:32:15 pm »
You want to leave the reducer on until they have strong enough to defend themselves and even then, you should leave it on if there is not heavy flow. Trust me, do not remove the reducer too early. I should have left mine on the two nucs I got last year until even now. I lost 1 hive and the other was heavily damaged by robbing.

As for feeding: Feed feed feed!! The more you feed, the faster they will draw out all your frames.  You will probably feed until you add the supers to collect honey fall of next year.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Help!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 07:04:49 pm »
>how long do I leave the entrance reducer.

Until there is a traffic jam.

>Second, I have a Pro feeder that came with my hive, from Mann Lake, how long do I feed?

Not sure what a prof feeder is.  I would feed until you get some capped honey in the hive.  That would indicate that they have some stores.  By then there will be plenty blooming and they have enough to get through some rainy times.  If you keep feeding too long it will plug the brood nest and they will swarm.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin