Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Requeening contributes to CCD?  (Read 10652 times)

Offline ProPacific

• House Bee
    • Pro Pacific Bee Removal Website
Requeening contributes to CCD?
« on: July 19, 2010, 07:26:59 pm »
Requeening an africanized bee with a less aggresive european bee can be helping and hurting us in some ways. The new offspring from the european queen bee can make for a more tame colony and less bee attacks in the spring and summer months but the less aggressive traits of a EHB can make this insect inferior to the "killer bee" resulting in the EHB to be killed off by the AHB. So it requeening a good choice?

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
Re: Requeening contributes to CCD?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 08:02:06 pm »
Are you saying all your bees have AHB genetics? Are you certain we know what CCD is or what causes it?
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 08:33:11 pm »
Yes, it is a good choice.

Offline ProPacific

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 08:33:34 pm »
About 90% of the bees down here have AHB genetics. I've read many theories on the cause of CCD. One of them including this theory.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 09:40:12 pm »
So are you saying that African bees cause CCD?   And did CCD come from southern Cali?  Is CCD found south of the border?  And if 90% for the bees in your bee yard have AHB genes and you requeen every hive with queens from a non AHB area, then are you going to lose all your bees to CCD or have them taken over by AHB?   Is this what you are saying?

Offline ProPacific

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 01:43:17 pm »
No it is a theory I've read and I want to know how true it is and how other people feel about it?

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 05:35:39 pm »
CCD is a combination of matters that the EHB has not yet built an immunity system too.
With what was already bothering the Bees along with stress, add a new strain or a combination of  things they have never coped with and you have it.

Too many areas have been affected to point to one location and one cause.

Does anyone know if the Africanized bee has a better defense system other than aggressiveness???

Which will not ward off disease, only things that may carry it.  :)doak

Offline tecumseh

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 07:58:22 am »
if you want no place to set bees down then don't even think about replacing those africanized bees with queens of european origin.  your first 'incident' will also likely make you sleep poorly.

most bee keepers in even somewhat africanized areas go to a lot of effort to ensure they are buying queen without africanized qualities.  some tell me they change queens out frequently.

ps... the literature prior to the era of genetic selection suggest that the european bee was extremely defensive/aggressive before folks began to select away from the characteristic.  the german black bee (the bee of choice of my first mentor) was a good example of just how defensive even a european bee could be.  in regards to folks like my first mentor some inbreeding due to location might have been at least some of the problem.
I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.

Offline Humanbeeing

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 05:50:00 am »
I don't know bout that but when you requeen that Africanized hive, get it on video. I want to watch this. I haven't seen anything really entertaining in a while. I live too far north, out in the sticks ya know.
HELP! I accidently used Drone eggs with the Hopkins method and I got Drag Queens!!!

Offline ProPacific

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 08:19:06 pm »
When I get a video camera, I'll let you know...

Offline organicfarmer

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 08:02:58 pm »
What do you then make of CDD happening in all areas that are not touched by Africanized Bees? The theory does not seem to hold then.

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 04:51:39 pm »
Any of the areas in the north that order Queens and/or package bees from a southern producer is more likely than not to receive some AB Genetics.

I think the cause of CCD has already been determined. If you have kept up with all the reports.
I bought it.

For those who collect  Tulip Popular honey, they will be in bloom 2 to 3 weeks earlier than usual. :)don2

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 06:50:10 pm »
Everything is early this year.   I am still waiting for that last frost, but have the honey super ready for that poplar run.