Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: first timer  (Read 3277 times)

Offline newguy

• House Bee
first timer
« on: October 08, 2006, 09:42:16 pm »
i just tried my extractor for the first time which was given to me. its sort of an old hand crank that holds two frames at a time. its useless! i first tried the frames right out of the hive and barely got the inside sticky. then i tried heating up the frames and it still hardly worked.  even when i attached a drill to the handle of the crank it still sucked.  so i eventually realized i would have to scrape the comb off the plastic foundation, which was a mess. i didnt want to do that and ruin the comb for the bees but it had to be done.  i just cant understand why the extractor didnt work. is it me or is it a pos? does anyone have a hand crank that works?

what is the brown stuff stuck the bottom of wax that i melted?  propolis?, bee husks? it sort of looked like a diferant color wax that wouldnt melt.

i think i ate too much honey.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
first timer
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 10:44:19 pm »
Did you scratch open the capped honey before trying to spin it? It works best if the honey is 80 degrees or warmer.

Offline newguy

• House Bee
first timer
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 11:06:04 pm »
yes i scratched the cappings. i did warm the frames for attempt #2 but i dont know how warm it was, my guess is over 80.  i just expected the honey to flow right out, or to at least come out.  for you hand crankers how long do you usually turn for one side?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
first timer
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 11:46:47 pm »
what is the brown stuff stuck the bottom of wax that i melted? propolis?,

yes, and other stuff like bee parts.  :P

tips i got:  warm room, scratch well!  spin half one side then half the other...then repeat.  if honey is thick, as mine was this year, it can take some time and effort.

if you are using wax foundation, you can melt the whole thing straight from the frame in a double boiler pan over low heat.  allow to cool at room  temp and wax comes to the top along with gunk.  remelt wax and strain, or just scrape bottom of wax block.

have not tried all these things, but they seem to be pretty simple ideas.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
first timer
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 08:45:23 am »
Maybe you're trying to extract pollen?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
first timer
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 09:12:28 am »
I don't know what the problem with the extractor is.   If you've cut off the cappings and it still isnt' coming out, then it is probably too cold, assuming that you've got capped honey.  I have that kind of extractor, and don't have any problem, but then I do extract in the summer, right off of the hives.

The brown sticky stuff sounds like carmelized honey.  The honey burns easily so will turn brown and thicken.

-rick
Rick

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
extractor
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 09:42:00 am »
I have a hand cranked extractor.Its alot of work you have to take time
cranking a couple of frames takes time I make sure I'm not in a hurray when I do my extracting I'm old so I don't crank to fast
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline newguy

• House Bee
first timer
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 01:19:59 pm »
MB
i know there are a lot of clueless people on this site(such as myself), but come on, pollen?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
first timer
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 01:59:06 pm »
I make sure I'm not in a hurray when I do my extracting I'm old so I don't crank to fast

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
first timer
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 02:18:22 pm »
crystalized honey maybe??

i got only half of my honey out. the other half is still in frames, just wont go out.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
first timer
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 02:27:32 pm »
>i know there are a lot of clueless people on this site(such as myself), but come on, pollen?

You don't know what you don't know.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline newguy

• House Bee
first timer
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 10:11:31 pm »
sir, you are correct!

anything