Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hi from Utah  (Read 2262 times)

Offline muttly

• New Bee
Hi from Utah
« on: September 19, 2010, 11:00:23 am »
I'm about as green as can be to the idea of beekeeping, as it stands right now we have 0 bees, but I would like to see that number increase to several thousand. I hope I can solicit some advice and valuable insight before we begin.

Offline harvey

• House Bee
Re: Hi from Utah
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 12:26:26 pm »
Hello Muttly,
   Hope you are not an addictive type person.  I started with one hive that (swarm) that landed in one of my trees.  I am now at seven and plan on building enough boxes to go to 15 next year!  If they all did well not sure what I would do with all that honey but right now I put it on just about everything I eat!!  Love it!!!  and the bees are still truelly facinating.  My spelling hasn't improved much though.  Utah Huh?  I took my father out there a year ago mule deer hunting.  Up in the north west corner near Lynn Utah.  Bueatiful land and we both brought home 3x4 bucks!  I would like to go again but still paying off the last trip.  Welcome to the forum.  Hope you end up with a couple hives.  never start with one start with two.   Harv

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 07:11:34 pm »
Welcome to the forum muttly!!!

I'd start with just a few to see if it is something you can and really want to do.

I started with 4 hives last year, have 15 going this year, and just bought 66 hive bodies with drawn comb, so now I am looking at a few dozen for next year. If that works out, I'll go for 3 figures following that.

Hope it works out for you!!!

Joel

Offline muttly

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 12:14:14 pm »
We would like to start out with one hive, do to the fact that we live in a suburban area. Start out on a smaller scale not only to keep the initial investment a little more moderate, but also to see how they work out. My plan is to build a bee yard this winter I'm thinking of placing it in the middle of my property adjacent to the garden and in between the chicken coop and the horse run. The bee yard will be roughly 20'x20' and have a six foot cedar fence I would like to pour a small concrete pad to place the hive or hives on, and use the rest of the space to make a maintenance-free landscape with native plants. I believe the bees would have plenty of forage close, lots of fruit trees a large well landscaped cemetery,a nature preserve and two wilderness areas with 11,000 ft peaks well within range for a variety of nectar flows all summer. My main concern would be the neighbor to the south whom I've had a property dispute with and he lost, while we have very good relations with the other neighbors and they would  love some honey from there backyards, I just think he is still bitter that 20' of "his backyard" is now my horse pasture. How can I approach him with my bee plans?

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 07:03:41 am »
Sounds like a very nice location muttly.

Why do you think you need to approach the neighbor about your plan? It is likely your counties zoning that says either ok or not ok to have bees on your property.

Good luck!

Joel

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 12:05:57 pm »
Hello, muttly!  Ditto what splitrock said.  Your city/county ordinances will tell you whether or not you are allowed bees, and how many hives (usually by the amount of space you have).  Not that we want to add another burdon to an already faltering relationship, but is your neighbor a gardener?  My guess is he may not say it, but he'll like reaping the benefits of your foragers!

I also recommend two hives because it gives you a basis for comparison and another set of resources.  If you really want to start with just one, though, just be sure to get active in your local club and get to know other beekeepers around you.  Sometimes you need an additional frame of brood or a frame or two of drawn comb (and usually in a hurry), and it will be nice to have those relationships in place.  Beekeepers love to help each other out!

And, of course, there are always folks willing to provide input here! 

Offline muttly

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 05:51:24 pm »
After doing some more research I believe we will start out with two hives of Italian bees as the locals suggest.   

anything