Welcome, Guest

Poll

Not necessarily what you run, but what you would recommend, or do, if starting a new.

10 frame Lang, all Deeps
10 frame Lang, all Mediums
10 frame Lang, all Shallows
10 frame Lang, Multiple box sizes
8 frame Lang, all Deeps
8 frame Lang, all Mediums
8 frame Lang, all Shallows
8 frame Lang, Multiple box sizes
OTHER

Author Topic: Preferred Hive configuration for the Hobbyist Beek  (Read 5463 times)

Moots

Preferred Hive configuration for the Hobbyist Beek
« on: January 25, 2014, 09:53:03 am »
As I tried to suggest in the poll question...This poll isn't to identify what would be best for a  large scale or commercial Beek.  Instead it's meant to be food for thought to someone getting started that plans on remaining a small scale hobbyist Beek.  

Your poll vote may be your personal preference because it's what you currently run...Or it may fall more into the category of "if I had it to do all over again"... :)

Offline NCbeekeep

• New Bee
Re: Preferred Hive configuration for the Hobbyist Beek
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 12:01:43 am »
Hi Moots
while you are considering what size hive body to use, you should consider several things.1st think about the weight of it full of honey. a deep full of honey is 90lb, a medium is 50lb, a 8 frame medium is 35lb. Also think about how much weight you would like to be lifting in 10 or 15 years. Also now their is talk about bees the bees seem to cluster better in 8 frame equipment. Also which ever size that you decide to use if you use it for the brood chamber as well as the honey super your life will be a lot simpler. 
William

Moots

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 12:10:01 am »
Hi Moots
while you are considering what size hive body to use, you should consider several things.1st think about the weight of it full of honey. a deep full of honey is 90lb, a medium is 50lb, a 8 frame medium is 35lb. Also think about how much weight you would like to be lifting in 10 or 15 years. Also now their is talk about bees the bees seem to cluster better in 8 frame equipment. Also which ever size that you decide to use if you use it for the brood chamber as well as the honey super your life will be a lot simpler. 

NC,
Appreciate the advice, but I'm a year in and have already made my decision.  My poll was more just to satisfy my curiosity as to what opinion other Beeks have, as well as maybe giving aspiring Beeks something to think about.

For the record, I use all 8 frame mediums and have been pleased with my decision...for many of the reasons you mentioned.  :-D

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 11:23:49 am »
I could almost put a vote in each category you have listed. I have at least one of each and I like it that way. I know that having all the same size boxes is probably the best way to go but when I first sarted everybody said you should use deeps or you should use mediums or use deeps and meciums ect. So I decided to try all them and see what I should use. After five years I still have not decided which is best if there is a best. They all have their +s & -s. My best honey production comes from 10 frame mediums and 10 frame deep with mediums in that order but that may be because of the bees. But I do have a couple 8 frame mediums that do really well. Also if I was just going to have two or three hives I would use 8 frame mediums because it is easier to deal with the bees in that sixe box. If you want to make a split or add a frame of brood to another hive and several other reasons it seem to me the 8 frame hive is the way to go. My least favorite is double deeps 8 or 10 but I do have a couple of each.
 I dont have any all shallow hives but have some shallow supers and dont really like them but use them anyway.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 11:28:43 am »
My least favorite is double deeps 8 or 10 but I do have a couple of each.

why do you not like them?

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 01:28:00 pm »
I have one double deep and may have two...now I wish I had just gone with all mediums so I could move frames around. Looks like I will end up with 2 double deeps and if lucky...a TBH. Right now it is empty.

I am doing foundationless frames and had I gone with all mediums I could use the empy comb in the broodnest if needed.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 08:29:43 pm »
i think all mediums either 8 or 10 frame would be the best set up for someone that never planed on expanding beyond 5 to 10 hives.  everything being interchangeable would be nice.    
for my purposes, i like a double deep brood chamber with mediums for supers.  i've really started liking 5 frame equipment but it's not practical for honey production unless you want to work from a step ladder.  

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 10:11:19 pm »
I have ten frame double deeps for brood and shallow honey supers.  Last year I did build and add some ten frame mediums for honey supers.  When I first started I used queen excluders, took them out a couple of years ago.  Last year I had four frames of brood in the second honey super(mediums).

Joe

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 11:23:04 am »
I voted 10 frame langs, multiple sizes.  Why? it makes the most sense to me.  I'm active, 45, 6" and 200 pounds with no health problems.  However, if a 65 year old woman asked my recommendation I'd say run all 8 frame supers.  Some if it depends on the person who's asking.  By in large though I stick with recommending 10 frame langs of multiple sizes.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 11:34:45 am »
None of us are getting any younger, why not Think ahead and work a system today that we will be able to work when were older so we don't have to give beekeeping  :brian:

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 01:36:03 pm »
None of us are getting any younger, why not Think ahead and work a system today that we will be able to work when were older so we don't have to give beekeeping  :brian:

I tend to side with Edward on this one, plus in my and moots circumstances it makes sense because we have young kids getting involved... Its not only easier to lift them at 60, but also for the 10 to 16 year old crowd as well....  keep it simple with all medium 8's is what works for me...
Marshall

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 02:27:57 pm »

I tend to side with Edward on this one, plus in my and moots circumstances it makes sense because we have young kids getting involved... Its not only easier to lift them at 60, but also for the 10 to 16 year old crowd as well....  keep it simple with all medium 8's is what works for me...

:-D I agree with that you agree with me  :-D

And it is great if all ages Shapes and sizes can have fun and get into beekeeping  X:X

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 05:19:03 pm »
My least favorite is double deeps 8 or 10 but I do have a couple of each.

why do you not like them?

It just seems to me that the double deeps are a little more difficult to work with whether working the brood area or when you get ready to harvest honey. I don't like extracting deep frames as well as mediums. They are good to use to make splits though after honey harvest.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 12:02:44 am »
Most of us would agree with DC, and yet I have seen beeks at my local club set up a woman in her 60's with deeps, brood and supers.  Several beek there are commercial beeks that hire help and/or have machinery and their hives are on pallets.   Even If you are in good physical health now, picking up deep supers after a while your back won't bee.   

Joe

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 11:00:09 am »
Most of us would agree with DC, and yet I have seen beeks at my local club set up a woman in her 60's with deeps, brood and supers.  Several beek there are commercial beeks that hire help and/or have machinery and their hives are on pallets.   Even If you are in good physical health now, picking up deep supers after a while your back won't bee.   

Joe
It especially doesn't make sense when there is another way that works very well.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 04:31:52 am »
 I of course run doubles--(DEEPS)-but also run single deeps with a medium on top
for this years climate dierances i am starting to think about the medium on the botom and the deep on top
run a two gallon inside feeder --pull frames from the top deeps to equlize-in good years the top medium would be full
of honey to feed--not going to hapen this year in california--but i am going to make this year a growth year --none the leess
just dont want to break my backdoing it-----most places can run a deep with suppers year round-atleast thats what they end up
with after the flow -good going with your bees ---RDY-B

Offline Clem

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 09:51:44 am »
We have a local retail supplier and master beekeeper, I'm learning a lot from them as we'll as here and reading books. I'm going with 2 Langstroth hives,
2-10 frame deeps for brood
Queen excluders
Medium honey supers
Screened bottoms
Setting up on an angle iron frame with ant deterrents.

anything