Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: they tell me that pollinating pumpkin kills your honey production  (Read 2099 times)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
i read somewhere that putting bees on pumpkin really hurts your honey production! what is your guys feeling on that?

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
Re: they tell me that pollinating pumpkin kills your honey production
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 12:29:15 am »
I, too, would really love information on this.  I have always had the impression (word of mouth) that pumpkins provided pollen (low in nutrition for the bees?) but not a lot of nectar.  But we have a local honey vendor that supplies pumpkin honey.  So how does that happen?

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 09:16:18 am »
How do you know that "pumpkin honey" was made with nectar from pumpkins?.  I'm always skeptical of claims of pure <insert name of tree or flower> honey.    Unless you are following each bee to see where they go, it's a dubious claim.  Sometimes you can tell by a distinctive taste, smell, or color of the honey that it contains at least some nectar from particular plants, but even if your hive was sitting in the middle of a giant pumpkin patch, you can't know that it's really pumpkin honey.... as far as I know.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 10:57:02 am by FRAMEshift »
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 10:27:18 am »
Thats right Frame, bees will get pollen and nectar from most any flower.  I have a pic of a bee on clover on my label but its called wild flower honey.

Joe

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 02:59:57 pm »
Pumpkins, squash, melons and etc. do not provide much nectar. I speak from experience because I pollinate squash and cantaloupes. If it were not for the pollination fees, I would not put them on these crops. They do get pollen.

Good Luck,

Steve   
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline adamant

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 12:23:45 am »
Pumpkins, squash, melons and etc. do not provide much nectar. I speak from experience because I pollinate squash and cantaloupes. If it were not for the pollination fees, I would not put them on these crops. They do get pollen.

Good Luck,

Steve   

howabout if the farm is full of mature weeds that border the property? will that help the bees? i do remember pumpkin drain the resources of the hive!

Offline kingbee

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 12:44:06 am »
http://www.ent.uga.edu/bees/pollination/crop-pollination.html

If your paid to pollinate any member of the melon or squash family, charge enough to buy yourself some sugar, your bees will need it.  Without wild flowers and plenty of them growing in the same area bees could starve in the midst of 1,000s of acres of melons and squash. 

I don't know about now, but years ago it was customary to mow all the plants competing with the melon blossoms for the attention of bees.  This was the only way the farmer had to ensure that your bees the farmer was paying for worked the farmer's melons.  In other words you have to force the bees to work melons, or else force the bees to die from starvation

Offline theriverhawk

• House Bee
    • Young Life of Shelby County, AL
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 08:35:12 am »
I had 7 hives over a pumpkin farm for a few years.  Never noticed a difference.  Now, my situation may be different that yours because there's not much of an actual honey flow during the blooming of pumpkins here in Alabama unless there is cotton nearby.  NJ may be very different.