Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question about bees in wall  (Read 1954 times)

Offline Pink Cow

• House Bee
Question about bees in wall
« on: April 27, 2010, 03:05:57 pm »
Had a conversation yesterday with a woman who told me that for a week, she's been seeing bees go in and out of a short patio wall through a hole near a drain. The wall is stucco on the outside and she does not know how it was constructed. I don't have the experience or desire to tackle this, but while talking with her I came up with a question some of you may be able to help with.

Do the bees generally set up home relatively close to the entry point, or is it a completely unpredictable thing? I do realize that nothing is certain in Bee World, but what has been your experience? It seems to make sense that if the space was hospitable near the opening they'd build there rather than travel very far through the wall, but I just don't know.

Thanks.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Question about bees in wall
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 03:26:09 pm »
My experience is that they set up home as close to the entrance as feasible.   They do need a fairly large cavity and will not remove material such as fiberglass insulation.   So where the cavity is located in reference to the opening depends how far they are away.   I have heard stories of the nest being 10-12 ft from the opening, but have never seen one myself.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 03:45:10 pm »
The only ones I've seen more than a foot or so away is where the original entrance was closed off and they found another way to their nest. Otherwise, yes, they are close to the entrance when there is room.

PS. If you do decide to tackle it, this is a fairly easy way to do it.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,20301.0.html
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Pink Cow

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 01:38:44 am »
Thanks to both of you. Appreciate it.

Iddee - I'm still resisting the tempting suggestion. Does sound like an interesting project though.

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 01:47:48 am »
You could also use a stethoscope or just place your ear on the wall and listen for bees humming inside to have a pretty good idea of their location and how far they've spread
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 03:42:11 pm by Jahjude »
I've chosen understanding over knowledge-since knowledge is all about knowing where to find facts and understanding is knowing how to manipulate knowledge...I've also chosen knowledge over beliefs!! We all need to..