Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Opinions on "The Buzz About Bees" by Jurgen Tautz  (Read 2155 times)

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
Opinions on "The Buzz About Bees" by Jurgen Tautz
« on: March 04, 2011, 10:18:02 am »
So my Dad bought me this book for Christmas.  I'm sure he just went on Amazon and searched for bees and clicked the first thing that came up.  I'm just about finished with it.  It's been an interesting read, rather scientific, yet some of the science seems a little psuedo-.  Some things just seem weird and counter to stuff I've read here and in other places.  Sometimes the theories he puts forth don't seem supported by any experiments, just by hypothesis or extrapolation.

Has anyone read this book or about it?  Does anyone have any opinions or information about the studies/theories/hypothesis the Mr. Tautz puts forth in the book?

Some of things that sounded strange were the idea that worker bees eat the eggs of laying-workers,  that "followers" of the bee dance aren't really that good at finding the source of forage, some of the temperature effects on brood and job specialization.  Some of the things that sounded really cool were the eyesight/flying thing, and the comb as a "net" of communication.

Just wanted to hear others' thoughts while I ponder all of this information.

Thanks!

love,
ziffa

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
Re: Opinions on "The Buzz About Bees" by Jurgen Tautz
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 12:49:43 pm »
I'm so glad you have raised this question.  Your instincts about this book are correct in my opinion.   You mentioned the claims made about the effect of temperature on brood development.  I tracked down all the original papers by Tautz's group on this point.  

Tautz implies that bees raised at lower temperatures are more likely to be house bees only and never become field foragers.  He apparently wants to "discover" that bee specialization is controlled by temperature in the same way that alligator gender is determined by the incubation temperature of the eggs. There are several problems with this.  He uses a developmental temperature outside the normal range that occurs in the hive.  I fail to see the relevance of bees raised at a temperature that is artificially maintained at lower than natural levels.  

http://www.pnas.org/content/100/12/7343.full     "Measurements of the temperature within individual pupal cells, for example, revealed values that ranged from 32.6°C for the coldest pupa to 35.9°C for the warmest pupa. Taken over a 3-h period, the mean temperatures for these pupae were 33.7°C for the coldest and 35.0°C for the warmest pupa, but no pupae raised in the combs experienced a completely constant temperature (M. Kleinhenz, B. Bujok, S. Fuchs, and J.T., unpublished results)."

All of Tautz's cold brood development was carried out at a constant 32C, but the coldest instantaneous natural pupal cell  temperature measured was 32.6C and the coldest 3 hour average was 33.7C.  So why is he using a much lower temperature that is clearly outside the normal range?

Tautz notes that cold-raised bees have a higher death rate and could not all be accounted for over the course of the experiments.  I think the simplest conclusion is that cold-raised bees don't become field bees because they die before they reach that level of development.

I noticed that the book has no real bibliography.  There are no references to the scientific literature, only references to books with no page numbers .  There is just mention of an associated website that is supposed to provide up-to-date references, but when I went to that website it was just marked "down for update" with no references or data provided.

I really wanted to like this book, but I have been forced to conclude that it is a collection of pretty pictures.

On the issue of workers eating the eggs of other workers (it's called oophagy)  that is a common event.  Seeley discusses the importance of oophagy in "Wisdom of the Hive".  In a eusocial insect colony, the queen has a monopoly on reproduction, and that is essential to the social coherence of the hive.  If each worker can lay eggs and prioritizes the survival of her own genes, the organization of the hive would fall apart as the workers competed against each other.   Apparently, workers can tell which drone eggs were laid by the queen and which by other workers.  

The relatedness of a worker to the drones eggs laid by the queen is .25 while the relatedness of a worker to drone eggs laid by other workers is .125+(.25/N) where N is number of drones the queen mated with.  So as long as the queen mated with more than 2 drones, the queen-laid drone eggs are favored over worker-laid drone eggs and therefore workers eat the eggs laid by other workers but not those laid by the queen.  This maintains the genetic integrity of the hive.  BTW, this is one reason that the queen mates with many drones.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 01:41:41 pm by FRAMEshift »
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 02:31:32 pm »
Frameshift, thanks very much for this.  It's been a long time since my last biology class, but it really did seem to me that a lot of his suppositions were not supported or the support was glossed over. 

I did find some of the information really interesting,  now it's just gonna be hard to know which is true and which is 'enhanced'.   

Guess it's to google to start digging!  Thanks again for your response.  I"d love to hear anybody else's thoughts as well!

love,
ziffabeek

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 07:49:21 pm »
  I"d love to hear anybody else's thoughts as well!
love,
ziffabeek
I'm not sure how many have read this book.  It's very expensive and my local library did not buy it for that reason.  I read portions on the Amazon website and that was more than enough.  :-D
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

anything