Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Timing  (Read 4179 times)

Offline Shamimbeelover

• Brood
Timing
« on: March 22, 2012, 06:59:25 pm »
Hi I live in Sydney west, and now starting to chill a bit. Is it a good time to start my beekeeping? Should I buy new bee package or buy stablished hive if I want to start now as winter approaching. Please help me on this. Thanks

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Timing
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 09:51:30 pm »
Buy equipment in the winter.   Buy your bees in the spring.

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 12:56:34 am »
Hey Shamim

are you an urban beekeeper? if so depending on the bee type you may be able to get away with it as they will be plenty of forage up there during winter.

I'd by a nuc hive and feed the heck out of them.

Your in USA Climate Zone 10 or Aust Zone 4

http://www.anbg.gov.au/gardens/research/hort.research/zones.html
http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 07:15:16 am »
Hello Shamim,

You really need to talk to actual Sydney-siders.  I guess hives wouldn't shut down to the extent they do around Melbourne or stay as active during Winter as they do up here.

It really depends how much you can afford, whether you go for a nuc or established hive.  I guess a package would be best if you already had some drawn comb.  If they are still flying and foraging I'm not sure why they'd need feeding, Eco?

Don't forget to get your small hive beetle trap ready.

A friend recently went to the hexagonal bee centre in Illawarra and said it was very good.  I'm not sure what it's called, but it could be a good place to ask your question and if nothing else just have a look around.

Let us know what happens!

Lone

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 08:37:33 am »
I have done some splits about 4 weeks ago and after capturing 2 small swarms I have just been giving the girls a bit of a boost the last few weeks, all the rain damaged the forage, and i want them to keep going strong through winter, It feels like it may be a cold one here.