Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New and have questions  (Read 2929 times)

Offline _Brenda_

• House Bee
New and have questions
« on: February 24, 2008, 07:40:51 pm »
I was here some time back, asking about getting into beekeeping.
I originally was going to try to start a hive or 2 on some acreage we have, but have been ill over the past year and am now thinking about starting a hive here in my back yard.
One thing that concerns me, is that the city sprays for mosquitoes in summer. How would I be able to protect a hive from any spraying?

Brenda

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: New and have questions
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 08:14:56 pm »
That's a tough one. But usually they spray in the evening, and then all the bees would be back home. You cover the hive with a sheet or something at night.

Guess you have to find out what they spray and what time they spray it. Do some research.

Good Luck
Annette

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 08:25:13 am »
>How would I be able to protect a hive from any spraying?

First, make sure they know you have bees.  Usually they will be willing to not spray where you are.  Second make sure they spray after dark.  If they don't, inform them it's a violation of the label (and therefore the law) to spray for mosquitoes in the daytime.  If they don't adjust, report them to the EPA.   If that doesn't help, you're SOL.

As long as they spray after dark it won't make a very big impact.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline _Brenda_

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 10:01:14 am »
Thanks everyone.  They always spray (fog) after dark. I just didn't know if it would have an impact on the bees. I could cover the hive at night with an old sheet.  :)

Now, I'll have some questions about getting started with beekeeping. I ordered a couple books to read, and will soon be ordering the hive setup.
Where can I buy a bee package, that will ship through the mail?
I live in Illinois, but a little too far from Dadant to dirve to pick them up.
Brenda

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 10:36:49 am »
9acres, where in Illinois are you located. If you are near the St Louis area I can give you some names of beekeepers in the region that sell nucs and packages.

DennisB

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 10:57:42 am »
9acres.  I am grateful that you are feeling better.  Illness can be a very sad thing.  You obviously are not well and can carry on with a dream of keeping the bees, yeah!!!  This is a wonderful day and a great thing to hear.  Go, go, go.  Have a great and wonderful day in this life. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 11:40:32 am »
Now, I'll have some questions about getting started with beekeeping. I ordered a couple books to read, and will soon be ordering the hive setup.
Where can I buy a bee package, that will ship through the mail?
I live in Illinois, but a little too far from Dadant to dirve to pick them up.
Hi 9acres!

I recommend getting in touch with a local beekeeping group:
http://66.235.211.138/~isbausaa/index.affiliate.htm

Find out who sells bees locally and/or what their recommendations are for your particular area. Getting involved in a local group has many benefits, not only are beeks fun to hang out with, you'll probably be able to find a couple of beeks nearby who are willing to mentor you.

Offline _Brenda_

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 10:11:04 am »
Thanks, and yes I am near St. Louis.  I've been convincing my husband that we need to get started with bees now, and can't wait too long or they will be spoken for already.
Brenda

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 11:29:02 am »
It's still better if you can get them to skip your neighborhood when spraying, but if it's after dark it probably won't have a major impact.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin