Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Late Summer Flowers (photo series)  (Read 12486 times)

Offline wfuavenger

• House Bee
Re: Late Summer Flowers (photo series)
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 03:47:40 pm »
Those are in fact hummingbird moths! Sphinx moth is another name.

Fantastic pictures!!!! I was reading how you wanted to take time for more and had to laugh when I think about how my wife thought it was funny to watch me from the deck, chasing insects around the plants to get pictures. It was worth the effort. Can anyone tell me what this one is ? It appears to be in the moth family and looked like a hummingbird the way it moved around the butterfly bush.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 08:50:58 pm »
Those are in fact hummingbird moths! Sphinx moth is another name.

Fantastic pictures!!!! I was reading how you wanted to take time for more and had to laugh when I think about how my wife thought it was funny to watch me from the deck, chasing insects around the plants to get pictures. It was worth the effort. Can anyone tell me what this one is ? It appears to be in the moth family and looked like a hummingbird the way it moved around the butterfly bush.
I never heard of them but it makes sense, because of how much they resembled the humming bird in size and in flight. Thanks for the Info. ;)

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2009, 03:05:21 pm »
Great photos' Dane. After viewing them, I wanted to get my shovel and get busy!   :-D

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2009, 02:00:47 am »
Dane, do you have a photo of your mimosa?  We have a fair bit of mimosa in the paddock and I think it has a yellow flower, but I wouldn't know when it comes out.  It is a prickly, scrubby kind of bush.  Thanks for your other photos.  I want to try to photograph a kind of greenish bee that frequents the garden here, but it is too fast for me!

Lone

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2009, 11:56:57 am »
Great photos' Dane. After viewing them, I wanted to get my shovel and get busy!   :-D

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Thanks Doug.  Shovel?

Dane, do you have a photo of your mimosa?  We have a fair bit of mimosa in the paddock and I think it has a yellow flower, but I wouldn't know when it comes out.  It is a prickly, scrubby kind of bush.  Thanks for your other photos.  I want to try to photograph a kind of greenish bee that frequents the garden here, but it is too fast for me!

Lone

Loads more images this thread

Cheers,
Dane

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2009, 09:36:13 pm »
Thanks Doug.  Shovel?

Sorry didn't finish my thoughts.... meant to say grab the shovel, dig and plant some flowers! Wrong time of year of course.... Those photos are great..... looks like you could go into a second profession with your "old" camera!  I've taken more photos myself since getting into the beek scene... just haven't upgraded the old digi camera yet.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

anything