Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm tanging  (Read 4887 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Swarm tanging
« on: September 27, 2009, 03:36:10 pm »
Lets start a study to see how many swarms we can tang in this season. Every time you get one to land this way,post it.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Swarm tanging
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 07:06:36 pm »
3 yesterday, in one apiary. Got all 3 to land within 30 feet of the hive it left, at head height. Owner of apiary said all previous swarms had landed too high in the trees to get. He had never tanged.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 08:53:01 pm »
I've never tried but I'm fascinated by it! What did you use to tang iddee? Big pot and wooden spoon?

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline manfre

• House Bee
    • Backyard Apiary
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 09:15:44 pm »
What is swarm tanging?
Backyard Apiary - My adventures in beekeeping.
Brewed By Us - A social site for homebrewers (beer, mead, etc.) to share recipes and brew journals.

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 09:55:16 pm »
Yeah???  That was gonna be my question too.
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 10:37:24 pm »
Years ago, Grandmas everywhere kept a large wooden spoon on the back porch next to the dishpan. When a hive swarmed, she would grab them and stand in the yard banging on the dishpan like a drum until the swarm landed. Anything can be used, as long as it makes a drum like noise. I used my hand on an empty cardboard nuc yesterday. That's all I had handy.

It was known as tanging, or drumming. Now there is another motion that has been dubbed drumming, so most call swarm calling tanging now.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline troutstalker2

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 10:41:51 pm »

I thought it was something astronauts did.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 11:12:36 pm »
Let's see some videos in action of this.  I would love to see it.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 12:15:04 am »
OH this is good stuff!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 12:19:38 am »
Well you know I watched Bud Tang, Macon Mississippi style!  :lau:

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 12:44:39 am »
This is very interesting! I will be following this topic! :D

What is it about the drumming that makes the bees land?? Sound? vibration? Pattern-interrupt?
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle

Offline MacfromNS

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 11:31:35 am »
The most beautiful thing is to see a person smiling.
And even more beautiful is knowing that you are the reason behind it!!!
Mac

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 10:31:36 pm »
It appears Schawee landed one. Jim 134 was kind enough to remind of of this thread so I will post Schawees tanging thread here.
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,33782.0.html

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 11:14:42 pm »
I have used it in the past at the house go out and got a old filing cabnet laying out beside the driveway that i beat on.  Don't know if it works or not but they always land nearby.  So can't say it don't neigther.  Probably done 3 or 4 that way.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 11:23:36 pm »
DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THIS POST,THANKS FOR POSTING IT HERE KEN.THIS SWARM SWARMED ON ME AGAIN WHEN I RELEASED THE QUEEN AND CHASED THEM AROUND THE PARK BY MY HOUSE AND THEY WOULDN'T LAND.WHEN THEY TURNED BACK TO THE HOUSE AFTER 30 MIN.OF CHASING THEM IT  FINELY ENDED.I GOT  MY BUCKET AND STICK AND GOT THEM TO LAND IN MY ORANGE TREE IN ABOUT 3 MIN.           .SCHAWEE..
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 04:56:35 pm »
This is very interesting! I will be following this topic! :D

What is it about the drumming that makes the bees land?? Sound? vibration? Pattern-interrupt?

Tanging: (n) The beating of a pot or utensil in order to induce a swarm of bees to land nearby.

The rhythm should be in cadence.  The louder the better.  The purpose is to fool the bees into thinking a thunderstorm is underway so that the will quickly land low to the ground.  The bees will land low because a thunderstorm can raise havoc on a swarm high up.  Having a method of spraying some water at the swarm improves the odds of the swarm landing.

Just beating on a pot with a wooden or metal spoon won't work, it is the rhythm that does it.  Loud clashing noise at the rate of about once every 2-3 seconds is best, that indicates a nearby thunderstorm.  So, all together now, bang, thousand 1, thousand 2, thousand 3, bang......

I've used this whenever I've been near the apiary when a hive swarmed.  I loose about 1 out of every 5 swarms, the other 4 land quickly, usually on the lower branch of a fruit tree in the orchard (where the apiary is) but I've had them land at the base of a shrub and all I had to do was put the hive down in front of them and watch them walk in.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything