Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Was wondering  (Read 2185 times)

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
Was wondering
« on: June 21, 2013, 05:54:00 pm »
Was wondering when I would get my first swarm, and it was this morning.  Last time the golf course called they had left before I got there, they didn't call for days.  This time it was noticed and they called right away.  Second swarm from the same tree this year.  Is that unusual?

Anyhow they were nice and low on a shrub branch about 18x6" conical shape, I guess about 3 pounds of the calmest bees I have ever experienced.  Pretty cool,  just snipped and set the whole thing right into a super and closed it up, didn't even get a mess flying around that way.

They are currently in the bee yard cleaning their new home and orienting.  It lived up to my expectations and was a cool event.  More feral bees, yahoo
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline thatguy324

• New Bee
Re: Was wondering
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 06:04:36 pm »
from what i have read that is not unusal the first swarm leaves behind a smell that invites more swarms if the tree is a bit of the golf course i would ask if i could put a bait hive up

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 06:05:56 pm »
"" just snipped and set the whole thing right into a super and closed it up, didn't even get a mess flying around that way.""

I hope you put all the frames in. If not, you have much trouble brewing. You never leave frames out with a new swarm. They will draw comb everywhere except......
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 06:24:20 pm »
ditto what iddee said.  they can draw comb like nobodys business and it will be everywhere!  i think it's better to shake them and be done with it, but if you choose not to, be sure to get all the frames in right away!  i can understand not wanting them flying around....kind of depends on where you are.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 02:47:40 am »
Yup!  What iddee and kathyp said!  I hope you got your frames in there!  I had to do a swarm removal at a major car dealership, and I did the same, just to get them out of there ASAP.  Anything I could do to reduce the harm to customers and employees, but they were framed immediately when I got home.  If you don't have ALL the frames in there already, and properly spaced, that should be on the top of your 'to do' list tomorrow.  Congrats on your swarm!! 

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 09:37:12 am »
Yep, frames went in 15 minutes later when I got home.  They all had comb from extraction, so they got a great start and don't need to build comb yet.  By late day they were foraging.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 10:13:21 am »
Now, how long until Queenie starts to lay on average?  Don't want to open the hive and have her fly away.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 11:07:15 am »
She should be laying now, but I don't open them for a week at a minimum.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 12:08:30 pm »
Good going on your new swarm, Jack.  As for swarms in same tree, there is a tree near me that I got 3 swarms last year and 3 this year.  In fact I got 7 swarms last year off of 3 trees.  Good luck with your new bees.

Joe

anything