Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: brood box ??  (Read 1012 times)

Offline sunnybee

• New Bee
brood box ??
« on: March 13, 2012, 01:36:07 pm »
I put a 2nd deep brood box on and the bees are drawing cone, queen laying eggs, and honey filling up. I have put a med. honey box on w/queen exc. My question is will the bees fill the top brood box w/honey before they start to fill the med. ? The top brood is getting full and only a very little in the med. Will they fill the brood boxes up with honey to where there is no where for the queen to lay eggs? If i rob 2 frabes of honey and put 2 new empty frames back will they draw it out for the queen and put the next honey in the top med box?

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
Re: brood box ??
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 03:43:19 pm »
Is the medium full of drawn comb?  If not the bees will hesitant to go up through the excluder and draw it out.  Might get rid of the excluder and get them to draw it out.  If you've given them drawn foundation in the medium they should get after it.  Some people call queen excluders honey excluders for a reason.  Sometimes it's hard to get bees to take honey up through them.  I recommend that you monitor the super to see if they start filling it.  If they don't, remove the excluder and they'll probably get the idea.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: brood box ??
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 03:55:36 pm »
Always remember, bees want to store honey over brood.   And second the idea of not using the excuder until you have drawn comb.   It is really hard to get them up there with it in place until it is drawn out.