Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beekeeping in the south, still different.  (Read 3975 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Beekeeping in the south, still different.
« on: September 27, 2007, 11:19:08 pm »
After having seen this red propolis at Konasdad that you snowbirds keep talking about, I decided to take some pictures of what propolis in the south Florida area looks like.

The propolis is brown and chewy like bublegum and tastes like yuck.

They aren't great photos but it was a point and shoot and it was raining.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Beekeeping in the south, still different.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 12:29:08 am »
Brendhan, when you get a chance, take some better pictures of your propolis.  I couldn't make out what the pictures were.  ARe the kind of blobby looking things propolis blobs?  I would love to see some more pictures, go ahead, make my day!!!!  Have a wonderful life, best of this day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 12:35:25 am »
The blobby looking things are propolis.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 09:42:25 am »
I'm with you on that one understudy!!! I read a post for a recipe that said use so much red propolis. I keep looking for it :shock:.

My propolis looks like already chewed chewing gum, the gray kind!!!
John 3:16

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 10:40:42 am »
So far the propolis here runs from a gold to brown color sometimes with a red streak. I have not seen it totally red though.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 10:49:56 am »
I have different colors of propolis, but when fresh it can look bloody. My purvis bees are propolis fools. They can glue somehting in minutes, really amazing.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 01:16:00 pm »
I Hate Propolis  :-x :-x

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 01:19:32 pm »
propolis  here tends to be dark brown. have never tasted it though although its said to a miracle cure for many ailments

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 08:19:23 pm »
I have seen red, gold, brown, tan but never seen the white blobby stuff......
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 08:26:42 pm »
>I Hate Propolis 

Why?  It protect, seals and disinfects.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 08:58:41 pm »
>I Hate Propolis 

Why?  It protect, seals and disinfects.

Yes, of course  :-D I just hate getting it on my hands/gloves while I work the hives, it sort of makes my hands clumsy  :(

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 09:44:46 pm »
Our propolis is the gray variety also.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 10:56:44 pm »
Ah, yes I dislike it when I try to let go of something and it sticks to my glove, especially when its a frame of bees I'm trying to put down.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 11:14:25 pm »
 :)    http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-1996835587000078948  they say the green is mean ;)                               
 http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-3199033249560866452   RDY-B

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007, 12:55:02 am »
+1 for red propolis - all I have here.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2007, 11:13:16 am »
My Italians bees love to collect propolis and lots of it, they glue everything tightly shut.  When I am working in the hives, man do my fingers get full of that crap.  I keep a cold bucket of water nearby and every few minutes I put my hands in the cold water and the propolis rubs off my fingers very quickly.  I do this very frequently and don't get too much of a build up.  I can't stand my fingers being sticky and propolis just ain't my cup of tea. 

When I am done my work in the beeyard I have another little container that I use as the second measure to rid propolis.  It is a mason jar that has rubbing alcohol in it. I put my hands in this container and wash my fingers and hands.  The propolis is gone probably in under a minute.  Then I have another little container that I have more water in and I wash my hands in this water to rid the rest of the alcohol.  Then of course I have a cloth handy to dry, or just wipe my hands on my jeans.

When I am outside with the bees, the likelihood of me wanting to go into the house to clean up my hands is remote.  It is too far and there is too much fun to be had outside to even waste a few minutes to go into the house to wash.  I am in play mode when I am outside, and when I speak of play, it is weeding, working, that is my play.  Going into the house means that I might have to do some work and on those nice days, I really don't like work :roll: ;) :)

My procedures are rather odd, but they work for me and I don't have those sticky hands that I am sure every flower petal, weed and hunk of dirt or rock would stick to!!!  Have this wonderful day, love our life we're livin'.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Beebrain

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2007, 05:19:00 pm »
I get red propalis only but it is only used by the bees to fill small gaps in the hive and glue the frames together.  I  have not ever seen such large deposits as depicted in the photographs. 

Neil

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2007, 06:29:25 pm »
It's funny it's like they make their own entrance reducers. As it gets closer to winter they start making those walls of propolis. When it gets warmer they will chew it away.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

anything